User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    While I certainly don't speak for INTJs as a consolidated unit, 'people reading' has always come pretty naturally.
    i have noticed the same with my INTJ friend, but the thing is that he often goes off by the magnitude of things. like he has weed on the table and im thinking "hmm i wonder if we are going to smoke some" and am like "that would be nice"(but dont say it), he reads me thinking "aaargh i must have weed NOW, cant bear a moment without smoking!!!". he thinks he is reading correctly, even if he later acknowledges that the magnitude was off, i think those two things(what i thought and what he perceived) are different things, he doesent. i have also noticed that he reads people quite selectively, at times not noticing the obvious to everyone else, but at times reading very subtle things that others may not notice
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Fi takes practice to gauge intensity properly in others as it is often mixed with your own emotions at the time. Learning to seperate between yourself and the other isn't as easy as it seems
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    - IxTPs have a (very reluctant) decent ability to "bind" groups - to be a harmonizing force - but it seems only to come out in moments of high stress or when they're pretty drained. They also understand how people "tick".
    Interseting. I'm definitely good at understanding how people tick. I'm also pretty good at predicting how people might react to something based on a mental model I have of that person. Sounds rather Ti + Ni there. I'm not as strong at comforting someone who's obviously distressed or reading the more subtle nuances of body language.

I'm not really sure how good I am at 'binding' groups. Maybe it's more of an unconscious thing. I do try get along harmoniously with others and be open to other points of view and I guess I have a calming effect because I rarely express anger. I would I'm worse at binding groups when stressed not better.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    INTP
    Are you serious or sarcastic here?
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

my personal opinion is the enfps. I think introverts are more subject to projection bias while thinkers don't "feel" the person so often don't understand the intent that drives the person. exfjs IMO are not as introspective about their emotions in some ways as exfps and so can miss minute details or "tells" about the person's affective state. esfps are often materialistic and are more susceptible to ascribing positive characteristics to people that symbolize wealth (not affluence per se). enfps can be led astray by intj/entp though imo because they often view Ne which is their homeland + Ti (which consciously they feel they cannot be) as an amalgam that is fascinating and mysterious.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

From my personnal experience :

1 =
    INFJ
    2 =
    ENFJ
    ENFP (better first impression but make more mistakes)

Also, some ESTP can be good at it , don't know why

IMO , Ni/Fe is better to reading people minds and Ne/Fi is better to reading people cravings.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    my personal opinion is the enfps. I think introverts are more subject to projection bias while thinkers don't "feel" the person so often don't understand the intent that drives the person. exfjs IMO are not as introspective about their emotions in some ways as exfps and so can miss minute details or "tells" about the person's affective state. esfps are often materialistic and are more susceptible to ascribing positive characteristics to people that symbolize wealth (not affluence per se). enfps can be led astray by intj/entp though imo because they often view Ne which is their homeland + Ti (which consciously they feel they cannot be) as an amalgam that is fascinating and mysterious.
    I think Nardi agrees with you somewhat, with ENFPs being the strongest at subjectively, imaginatively entering into a scenario they haven't experienced directly. Conversely, INFPs tend to the the best at sustained, focused, deep listening.

Still, that doesn't necessarily address "reading" people, which may have a lot to do with being aware of surface cues (which seems like an intuitive might miss). Research shows that extraverts lie more than introverts, with men tending to lie more selfishly, while women tend lie in a more "other-oriented" kind of way (to spare feelings, etc). Women tend to be better than men at detecting emotion. (All of which make me wonder if these gender differences might be T/F related.) Research also indicates that introverts are better at detecting lies than extraverts.

Some studies on lying have show that being good at spotting emotional lies is a separate skill from being able to spot factual/criminal lies (although some people are good at both).

One Big Five study found that accurate lie detection correlates positively with high Openness (correlates with MBTI intuition) and Agreeableness (correlates with MBTI Feeling), and negatively with high Neuroticism (no MBTI equivalent).

Another study found that a higher EI score (Emotional Intelligence) is not correlated at being able to detect lies.

Personally, as an INFP I feel like I'm not particularly good at spotting lies (not naturally suspicious enough, for one thing). However, I do feel like I'm good at listening deeply and building up a mental/emotional model of what's behind what the other person is saying. This includes being able to hold a model in mind that I don't personally agree with, but be able to see how someone else might believe such a thing.

Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    INTP

Someone needs to start a thread about if INTP or INTJ are better at reading people
    I am guessing this is a joke??!!

Edit: INTPs maybe able to detect the sincerity behind people's actions and behaviors..... Reading people, I really dont think so

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    I am guessing this is a joke??!!

Edit: INTPa maybe able to detect the sincerity behind people's actions and behaviors..... Reading people, I really dont think so
    Don't you understand?!? You don't really understand yourself like I do because I read up on obscure topics 20 hours a day
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Enneagram
    4w5

:
    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Don't you understand?!? You don't really understand yourself like I do because I read up on obscure topics 20 hours a day
    So true ....

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

ISFPs and INFPs
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"