• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFs/NTs: What would ____ do/think in response to ____?

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Just thought this might be a helpful thread to people looking to see how other types would react to a situation. After all, a large portion of understanding someone is knowing how they would react to a given situation.

So I will start us out.
What would an INFP do/think in response to their friend leaving a online checkers game in which the INFP was losing, and promptly logging out with a simple "I don't feel like playing anymore, bye."

Ask/answer away. :)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
So I will start us out.
What would an INFP do/think in response to their friend leaving a online checkers game in which the INFP was losing, and promptly logging out with a simple "I don't feel like playing anymore, bye."

My guess would be to think nothing of it beyond "Hmmm that's strange..."

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably ranges from what nightning says to, "I must have really bored them to tears" and potentially, "I feel bad they apparently hated being here enough to just duck out, if they had just told me they were bored we could have changed something."

But mostly an INFP would probably kindly "feel things out" the next time to see if they could coax out the motive and then respond accordingly.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Just thought this might be a helpful thread to people looking to see how other types would react to a situation. After all, a large portion of understanding someone is knowing how they would react to a given situation.

So I will start us out.

Well I am an INFP and I would probably think they'd left because I was losing and obviously boring them. I'd think it a little jerk-faced of them to just log out like that but I would probably get over it since I was losing anyway. My losing score wouldn't be marked down on my overall score board anyway!

I guess I should ask something. Um, what would an INTP or INTJ do/think if someone they knew randomly winked at them?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I guess I should ask something. Um, what would an INTP or INTJ do/think if someone they knew randomly winked at them?

The two personalities process things very differently, not sure if they are comparable.

I'd have a number of possible thoughts, based just on the wink:
- He thinks I'm cute, hmmm.
- He just wants to do me, jerk.
- He has a bet with his friends to get my attention -- interesting, maybe skaggy, maybe I should jerk him around a little and get him back.
- He's got something in his eye, no biggie.
- I said something he genuinely appreciated, maybe deeper discussion?
- He's a nice guy just trying to connect, throw him a rope.
- He just wants to have some fun for a bit, let's play along for awhile.
etc

Yes, I think of them all. Simultaneously, I use other information (context, his appearance, his age, any past familiarity, etc.) to determine which possibilities to "test" to get things down to some sort of fuzzy but discernable motivation.

Sigh, exhausting to imagine, huh? Should I just say, "Hey, he winked at me!" and let it go at that? :)

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I can't imagine anyone would care.... its just checkers.

heart

heart on fire

So I will start us out.

It depends on who the person was. If it was an F, I would wonder if had done anything that offended them and I would ask them about it, once and accept their answer.

If it was a T I might just think they got distracted...

But when I was younger, if the person was someone I valued, I would have totally neurotic that the other person didn't like me! ;)

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ

Thought process:

"Did I miss a cue? What did I miss? Was I supposed to take a hint? What were we talking about again? I guess I wasn't paying attention... oh well. It probably wasn't important. Or was it? Damn it!"

Verbal response:

"...what?"

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
Thought process:

"Did I miss a cue? What did I miss? Was I supposed to take a hint? What were we talking about again? I guess I wasn't paying attention... oh well. It probably wasn't important. Or was it? Damn it!"

Verbal response:

"...what?"

Yup, I'd say my response would be basically the same.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
So I will start us out.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I was TOTALLY going to beat him/her!! I just needed five more moves!!" <-- yay for delusion!

After realising that I actually was losing, I'd start thinking that obviously I was so crap that they couldn't be bothered playing. I would resolve to beat them up for their arrogance the next time I saw them.

Then I would stew at the sense of incompletion and the sudden realisation that they had been extraordinarily rude.

Then I would forget about it, only to remember at some unrelated moment, and ask them about it - to their confusion.

The alternative, depending on how deeply I was into the game (or how familiar with them I was), is:
"Eh, they probably needed to go to dinner or something." This would be briefly accompanied by a vague sense of inadequacy, followed by pure, blessed forgetting. :)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't imagine anyone would care.... its just checkers.

*eye roll*

How can you say it's just a game?! It's one of the purest forms of abstracted strategy that exists, perhaps even purer than chess!

:yes:

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
*eye roll*

How can you say it's just a game?! It's one of the purest forms of abstracted strategy that exists, perhaps even purer than chess!

:yes:

Purer than chess? Hah... no. :)

But I'd have to say it becomes more than checkers, and why someone would care, is when someone playing takes offense to something that happens in the game.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If my INFP friend suddenly ducked out with such dejected words, I'd be concerned.

Metis

Um, I would think, Quit using me as a foil for your intended wit.

Then, not wanting either to overreact or to encourage this annoying but usually innocent behavior, I'd answer, "Huh?" with wide, glazed eyes.

Well, what would an NF think if a known NT suddenly started writing highly cryptic sonnets brimming with technical themed metaphor and depositing them with the NF, explaining, "Hi. Here"?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Purer than chess? Hah... no. :)

You're right, that would have been "Trouble."

But I'd have to say it becomes more than checkers, and why someone would care, is when someone playing takes offense to something that happens in the game.

Well, I read a wonderful book once where four guys were taking turns murdering people, and and it turns out they were playing parcheesi or some game with colored pieces, and they had to murder something associated with the color and the locations assigned to particular squares of the board.

So you just never know how much is wrapped up in one of the games. It's a matter of life and death. ;)

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, what would an NF think if a known NT suddenly started writing highly cryptic sonnets brimming with technical themed metaphor and depositing them with the NF, explaining, "Hi. Here"?

I'd say, "Thank you?"

And then read it and wonder in my head, "Does he/she want me to comment on how to better it? Are they trying to tell me something? Do they like me and are telling me in some obscure form(assuming it's a he)? Is this some critique on mankind? Or is he/she just being silly?"

Then I'd probably ask, "So what's this for?"

What I'd think next would depend on the answer.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, I read a wonderful book once where four guys were taking turns murdering people, and and it turns out they were playing parcheesi or some game with colored pieces, and they had to murder something associated with the color and the locations assigned to particular squares of the board.

So you just never know how much is wrapped up in one of the games. It's a matter of life and death. ;)

OK, I gotta ask - what's the book?

Jae Rae

Metis

Then I'd probably ask, "So what's this for?"

What I'd think next would depend on the answer.

Something like, "Yeah, um. I don't know."

Or maybe, "Sorry, it's ok, nevermind..."

But this would be a repeated occurrence.

halfaninstant

MBTI Type
INFP
I'd probably look at the board to see if i still have a chance of winning- if i did, i'd think he was tired and drop it. if not, i'd feel stupid for not seeing that i've already lost - curse him for being a jerk, and resolve myself to inviting him to a game of chess where i can kick his ass... pointedly leaving when i see he has no chance of winning. =P

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Um, I would think, Quit using me as a foil for your intended wit.

Then, not wanting either to overreact or to encourage this annoying but usually innocent behavior, I'd answer, "Huh?" with wide, glazed eyes.

haha nice reaction

i would probably just read them and think that maybe they appreciate my opinion lol. depending on the content and if i understand it... i might comment on something if i like it, or if i dont get it, i might just go 'i dont get it... but it's... interesting/cool/nice' :)