• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] Boy Advice for My ENFP Sister

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
And that is why I prefer books. No person to get pissy at me, nobody looking at the time, sighing, pummeling me for daring to take longer than they think it should take, nobody to appease or please. Just me, and my curiosity.

And getting absolutely nothing done.

:harhar:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
True. In your eyes, I'm not. In mine, this is infinitely more productive. You can keep your Te-bootcamp :dry:

If you were looking at things objectively, you'd see that you're (largely) just rationalizing your inaction.

That's not to say that there's not better or worse ways for you to figure things out, though.

On that part, I agree with you: the approach must be tailored to you.

(Patience with this project, though: don't expect it.)

(It will be extremely frustrating to do this for us.)

(Frankly, just thinking about it feels like hell.)

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you were looking at things objectively, you'd see that you're (largely) just rationalizing your inaction.

That's not to say that there's not a better or worse way for you to figure things out, though.

On that part, I agree with you.

And that, right there, is why I unceremoniously tell my INTJ to bugger off when I'm working through something. With his help, it would be so much faster, that is, if he were to have the ability to actually understand what I need as a student. As it is, he has no respect for the fact that I am not in his league, and so, he gets booted off the island. What you perceive as inaction, is actually my preparation of the work ahead. The getting up the nerve, as well as the being informed enough to actually not run scared when I hit a snag, once I put it all into action. But I've yet to find an NTJ that can a) see that and b) respect that, let alone teach it. So yes, I'll stick with my books over NTJs, anyday. Loveable as they are. At least books get me *somewhere*, and I can usually (with a lot of lost time) figure out where to go from there.

Mia.

[
Shake me all you want, but you won't get me to stop trembling in a corner by shaking me. Walking me through the steps however, and actually going through the boring basic stuff with me, and giving me the space to actually interpret it *my* way without rushing me.....that's how it works. I'll be your star pupil, if you'll just 'show me the work' and be a wee bit patient with me, as well as not expect me to value it or master it the same way you do. Go too fast, be impatient and show your disappointment and I freeze, shifting my focus from learning to pleasing you instead and appeasing you...hardly effective for learning the subject at hand.

And that is why I prefer books. No person to get pissy at me, nobody looking at the time, sighing, pummeling me for daring to take longer than they think it should take, nobody to appease or please. Just me, and my curiosity.

:yim_rolling_on_the_

Now this, this is true, especially the bolded.

INFP: Can you say it again?
ESTJ: *yells* No, I will not say it again. What is wrong with you??

*school bell rings*

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
1. There is nothing wrong with her. She needs to accept that. Not having a relationship by 20 really isn't as unique as people think. Making a big deal about it is like trying to talk a girl into orgasming. It just makes them overthink everything.

2. She needs to make friends with guys. I was freaked out by guys until I made a best friend in high school who was male. He was a local INTJ I met online. Nothing ever happened between us but I got over the "fear of guys"

3. I used to have trouble making friends because I had too high of expectations. I see the negative in people so I avoided a lot of people as friend material. She needs to move past that and realize that she has flaws and so do other people (including males.) I still have to remind myself that people are allowed to be "unperfect" and still be my friends.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
And that, right there, is why I unceremoniously tell my INTJ to bugger off when I'm working through something. With his help, it would be so much faster, that is, if he were to have the ability to actually understand what I need as a student. As it is, he has no respect for the fact that I am not in his league, and so, he gets booted off the island. What you perceive as inaction, is actually my preparation of the work ahead. The getting up the nerve, as well as the being informed enough to actually not run scared when I hit a snag, once I put it all into action. But I've yet to find an NTJ that can a) see that and b) respect that, let alone teach it. So yes, I'll stick with my books over NTJs, anyday. Loveable as they are. At least books get me *somewhere*, and I can usually (with a lot of lost time) figure out where to go from there.

:laugh:

Honestly, I think that's the best way.

It is extremely frustrating to try and teach people something that seems so obvious.

When they don't get it after you explain it, it feels like your entire life force just runs into a wall and is stuck.

I've worked as a tutor, and I used to help my NF friends with math back in school, so I've developed a sort of patience for doing it, but, frankly, my natural energy feels so stifled by the block that it *really* takes a lot out of me to do it, and, frankly, I think there are more productive ways to live life for all parties involved than to subject themselves to this near-certain calamity.

I don't think this is really on-topic, though, so we should probably leave this discussion for elsewhere.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:laugh:

Honestly, I think that's the best way.

It is extremely frustrating to try and teach people something that seems so obvious.

When they don't get it after you explain it, it feels like your entire life force just runs into a wall and is stuck.

I've worked as a tutor, and I used to help my NF friends with math back in school, so I've developed a sort of patience for doing it, but, frankly, my natural energy feels so stifled by the block that it *really* takes a lot out of me to do it, and, frankly, I think there's more productive ways to live life for all parties involved than to subject themselves to this almost certain calamity.

I don't think this is really on-topic, though, so we should probably leave this discussion for elsewhere.

I was about to suggest the same thing, though I'm not sure if it will help [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION] perhaps prepare herself for doing the big sister thing and helping her sister face reality :ninja:

Last addition: it is frustrating on my end as well, though. I *know* that i would be a lot less confused if he could just help me out, but...experience has taught me otherwise. I'm already struggling with keeping my baby Si from completely going crazy on me, while learning somethign that scares the living daylights out of me, I cannot be bothered to be understanding of his impatience at the same time as well. Something's got to give. And neither one is an option, if you want your relationship to survive, so that's why booting him off the island somehow is the sound thing to do to save our relationship. He from his end curbs his 'you should do it this way' when he sees me being clueless and fumbling about and tries very hard not to laugh at me (or he gets a pan thrown at his head). Meanwhile he find something else to distract him with, or he at least leaves the room before he goes banging his head against the wall.

Either way, it works :laugh:

Alright, officially time to..

/end rant.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
tl;dr

I advocate:

1. Getting her to join some group activities with guys, per [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION]
2. Gently talking to her about her insecurities, and why they exist (ENFP should love this)
3. Gently talking to her about her too-high standards, and drafting a list of "reasonable" standards

I think that having you there to talk to is great, as well. I wish I'd had a sister to bounce ideas and thoughts and fears off of.

--
I feel this is what it's going to take for her. Some guy whose interested enough and confident enough to see through her bitch act, and really take her on. The age + experience thing is another great point. She's just so innocent, you know? Like she literally knows nothing, and I'm terrified at the idea of something going wrong for her. And it definitely does occur to me that some people assume the worst about her behavior simply because she's old enough that she should know how to reciprocate on some level, and the fact that she doesn't makes her come off as even more of a frigid bitch.

Well, and honestly, probably something will go wrong for her. I've made some HUGE beginner's mistakes with my boyfriend and I know I've hurt him more than is fair (thank goodness he has very clean, clear boundaries, which prevent him from getting mired in hurt the way I would). I think the most important thing for her now is to move forward but take her time, and aim for a good first relationship.

The ENFP tendency is to want every relationship to be the one-and-only, be-all-end-all, but I think a more realistic goal (perhaps an example of gentle, constructive Te pruning?) would be to try to find a sincere, upright guy who will treat her well and give her a good taste of a realistic relationship, even if it doesn't work out forever. I think part of what she will need to accept, if she hasn't already, is that you can still have a good, meaningful first relationship without it being your lifelong relationship. There is something magical about your first relationship, after all. They will always be the first, even if not the last. And the first is all about learning - I think it's really not all that important to have the "perfect" guy for your first relationship. Most important would be to have someone willing to help you grow.

She definitely wants a Feeler. [...] He also has to be extremely attractive. [...] He'll also have to be pretty fucking smart, or he's not gonna make the cut either.

:laugh: !

Well of COURSE the NFP wants it ALL.

Does she have many opportunities to interact with guys relatively close in age? If not, it might help to find some. Not dating or bar situations, but more like hobbies, clubs, community/volunteer groups, etc. where she can spend time with guys in no-pressure situations where dating is not even on the radar. This might help her relax around guys more, get to know a few just as friends, and see where things lead.

Yes! I strongly second this!

I started making good guy friends at work after college, very much in contrast to how I'd always surrounded myself with girls or the occasional not-so-masculine guy. I think that really opened me up to how to hang out with male peers. I think with the sx 6 drive - the "strength and beauty" thing - you're pretty much always opposed to guys. I always tended to see them as academic competition, and often just mean, brute force that needed to be overcome - especially hyper-masculine guys. Hanging out with guys at work really taught me what real men are like, instead of just my competitive bully archetypes. They're cool - sometimes easier to hang out with than girls! And that opened me up more to being willing to go get a couple drinks with my now-boyfriend, because he was fun to talk to. He wasn't threatening (until he made it clear that he was interested in me as more than a friend, lol).

I don't know how to create a connection because usually connections find their way into my life on their own. Making one is a process I haven't really trained on. [...] I think it is important to know the main ideas she wants out of a relationship, but she may not even realize she is destroying potential relationships based on nothing but assumptions. I realized I was being very cruel that way.. I wouldn't want someone to assume things about me without really getting to know me. [...] You have to understand what people need, and you have to know what you need so you can communicate it. Men aren't psychics, or miracle-workers.

Yes, this, absolutely. I'm still working on understanding what I need in a relationship, and working on articulating this. It's very challenging to the old forest of Fi, with its mossy roots dug so deep but so hard to see and trace. And it's hard to direct that F outward, to the other person, when the concept "relationship" conjures so very many NeFi linkages (and all in her head, since she's never had any real experience!) Sometimes it's hard not to objectify relationship potentials, as cruel as that sounds. It's easy to accidentally minimize them into a role, and Te-reject them because they do not seem to perfectly fit that role you have created. But that's the thing about that role - is it what you actually need? Or is it what you think you need? The pretty picture NeFi weaves is not always matched by truth.

But most men aren't fans of this whole "lets see how many flaming hoops I can make a man jump through to get my approval."

Truth.

Though, it's in part self-protection (and by extension, protection of potential mates). 6s protect themselves via avoidance (phobia) or pre-empting (counterphobia). I don't think it's a conscious measure - more like what Zarathustra said about being a front for insecurity, combined with the inevitable NF idealism.

Give her the proper time it takes to develop Fi(by feeding it with Ne) and *know* what it wants, or I guarantee you, disaster will ensue. [...]

Force Te on an NeFi that isn't ready, that hasn't had the time to process or do its homework, and you will wreak a lot of emotional damage, on all parties involved. Her Si will be so traumatized, she'll never wanna repeat the experiment ever again. [...]

Once again, give her NeFi time to catch up and prod Fi to get to work already and demand from Ne that it feed it real information instead of 'what if' scenarios. Right now she's not NeFi-ing, she's NeSi-ing (what if, omg, it'll be horrendous). Si is retaining all the scenarios Ne feeds it that are a disaster. And Fi is used as a barrier to keep that from happening as it's fueled by both her Si nightmares of reality and the idealistic dreams she's gathered from tv, books and her own aspirations. If anything needs to be pushed, it's Fi. Her Fi needs to learn to merge reality with her dreams in a for her acceptable way, and that takes time. As for Te, tell that thing to sit on its ass, behave and wait its turn, for realz. If she's smart, it'll get its marching orders when Fi is good and ready and not a moment sooner.

I agree... I do think Te needs to be used to trim the NeFi idealizations and lower her entry threshold, but gently. Fi is currently being used as a blunt defense mechanism, and Fi and Te together are creating a bizarre set of high Fi standards versus grim, quickly-dismissing view of reality. Te actually needs to be let up in the sense that she is doing too much external pruning. Te in ENFPs is the "let's throw EVERYTHING OUT" function, to save us from the Ne overgrowth - that's not what needs to happen here.

Zarathustra said:
She needs to realize that when she starts acting like a fool when she's around a guy that she's attracted to, well, that's what every guy is going through when they try to ask her out. So who the hell is she to judge them for their potentially botched approaches that don't meet her exacting standards? I mean, she finds herself a catch, but she's not exactly smooth in this regard, right? Well, the single most important rule of morality is reciprocity: if she turns into a bumbling idiot when around someone she's attracted to, then she needs to realize she has no right to judge others for being the same way. We all should already realize this, but perhaps she needs to have it very flatly laid out to her. That can serve as an opening to the next step.

What you're saying is a fair point, but I'm not sure it would get across to her in the way you're intending it to get across. The argument is a little flawed in that she's not the one doing the asking out - the men who come after her are openly acting, so she has a right to judge. Does that make sense? She's not voluntarily subjecting herself to judgment, probably because she knows she's not very good at it. She can judge because they're initiating. Because she's not acting, she's morally exempt from judgment. It's not really a bidirectional thing.

What [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] has said about treading carefully with harsh rationality is particularly important in this sense because, being reactive, a blunt "attack" could send her flying either far, far away from relationships - which would be eminently counterproductive - or so geared up to go that she will explode not only at Rex (who will be fine by virtue of being ENTJ, but would probably prefer not to have to deal with that), but possibly also voraciously hunt down some poor innocent guy and tear him to shreds - both results leaving her in a worse-off place than she was before.

Next, she needs to realize that a big part of her "exacting standards" and what not is a front to cover up her own insecurity. It's fine to have high standards, but it's not okay to use high standards as an excuse for inaction or to cover up one's own insecurities.

This is very true, and I wonder how much of this she's aware of already. I was painfully aware that my constant rejection of relationships and ridiculously high standards (ie, you shall not pass) were to protect me from being humiliated (and to protect a guy from having a negative experience, too). It's interesting, though, that she does explicitly want a relationship - I did too, but not in the here and now. I wanted my fairytale in the indefinite future, after I got myself looking like a supermodel and running marathons and working at the UN and all that jazz.

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to help her outline some reasonable standards for a guy - no hard drugs, good sense of morality, steady job, respectful, etc - and maybe that will help her open her eyes to grasp that there can be excitement in discovering what a guy does that's totally different - better! - from what you expected.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
3. I used to have trouble making friends because I had too high of expectations. I see the negative in people so I avoided a lot of people as friend material. She needs to move past that and realize that she has flaws and so do other people (including males.) I still have to remind myself that people are allowed to be "unperfect" and still be my friends.
That's quite important.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I was about to suggest the same thing, though I'm not sure if it will help [MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION] perhaps prepare herself for doing the big sister thing and helping her sister face reality :ninja:

Per usual, Amargith is on point with her assessment. I was actually enjoying the exchange. From the lovely people in this thread, I've gotten a lot of valuable insights about what my sister's actually going through, interesting suggestions on things she might try, and am now starting to formulate the best to present all of this to her so that it can actually be of some use. Your discussion certainly speaks to that.

Just thinking aloud, my sister is damn near allergic to excessive Te. It upsets her, and she basically shuts down. At the same time, my sister will use her feelings as a shield for stubbornness. I could present something to her in the gentlest way possible, but if it's not something she's interested in hearing, she'll rebuff it. I know enough to understand that I have to be able to reaffirm her and where she's coming from in order for her to hear anything I'm saying to her. If I do not, she will become defensive.

I know this is not a problem that I can solve for her, so my aim is simply to help her think a little differently about her situation. I think Amargith is correct in that she's basically panicked at this point. Her fears may be somewhat overblown at this point, but theyre no less valid to her. They're feeding her insecurities which are in turn fueling the problem. So I wanna help her slow her roll, basically. I think that something as simple as being able to frame some of her issues for her will be a start. It will allow her to ground her fear in something workable. (I think this is the Fi-Te bridging ya'll have been discussing?)

If she knows what her problem is, then the books and stuff that you mentioned, Amargith, will be more effective. It will give her something that will allow her to own the issue, work on it at her own pace, and begin applying her own creativity to resolve it. Then, she might start enacting some of the more practical suggestions that have been offered on her own, and if not I'll keep them in mind to share with her when she's ready for them.

So, yeah, that's my plan on this. Obviously, the trickiest thing will be the first step--framing the issue without making her feel that an answer is being shoved down her throat. So if ya'll two wonderful, intelligent individuals (for whom I have a great deal of love and respect, ect) want to continue debating the fine points of successfully approaching an ENFP with difficult advice as an NTJ, then I'm all ears. Hell, I'd be obliged to you.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know this is not a problem that I can solve for her, so my aim is simply to help her think a little differently about her situation. I think Amargith is correct in that she's basically panicked at this point. Her fears may be somewhat overblown at this point, but theyre no less valid to her. They're feeding her insecurities which are in turn fueling the problem. So I wanna help her slow her roll, basically. I think that something as simple as being able to frame some of her issues for her will be a start. It will allow her to ground her fear in something workable. (I think this is the Fi-Te bridging ya'll have been discussing?)
As someone mentioned earlier, Fi must engage before Te*, to help your sister clarify what she really wants and what is important to her. Otherwise, Te won't know what yardstick to use to evaluate what comes her way. This should be a much more comfortable exercise for her to do, and should lead naturally and eventually into ways of obtaining what she wants while acting according to her values.

*On some level, this is true for NTJs as well.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
(I think this is the Fi-Te bridging ya'll have been discussing?)

It's definitely on the right track.

So if ya'll two wonderful, intelligent individuals (for whom I have a great deal of love and respect, ect) want to continue debating the fine points of successfully approaching an ENFP with difficult advice as an NTJ, then I'm all ears.[/SPOILER]

You know that thing they say about INTJs and how people think we're just a bunch of arrogant asses who think we know everything, but, in reality, when we don't know something, we'll tell you straight up? Well, prepare yourselves, people, cuz here it comes: if I had a proper knowledge of this issue, I don't know where I'd be, but I'd be a better person than I am today. I think [MENTION=10496]skylights[/MENTION] addressed the topic in her post a bit (I've got a response to that post that's been sitting on the backburner for a few hours), and, obviously, [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] and I were touching on this issue before, and I'd be willing to do so again, but, at present moment, I can't quite think up a clean, clear, clever response that'll address the issue in a nice tidy manner. Yes, believe it or not, people, I'm saying I don't indeed know everything. Shocked? Well, that's your problem. Learn to read better. :p

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As someone mentioned earlier, Fi must engage before Te*, to help your sister clarify what she really wants and what is important to her. Otherwise, Te won't know what yardstick to use to evaluate what comes her way. This should be a much more comfortable exercise for her to do, and should lead naturally and eventually into ways of obtaining what she wants while acting according to her values.

*On some level, this is true for NTJs as well.

Knowing what she wants and whats important to her has never been an issue for my sister. Her problem is that where it's coming from may not be the best place. I dont want to further encourage her to define things in a way that walls her off from others. I think this issue of fear is where I want to apply myself. I feel that helping her to get through that she'll be able to figure out what she really wants on her own.

Thats my thought at least. Does this make sense? Im worried I may have missed your point.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Knowing what she wants and whats important to her has never been an issue for my sister. Her problem is that where it's coming from may not be the best place. I dont want to further encourage her to define things in a way that walls her off from others. I think this issue of fear is where I want to apply myself. I feel that helping her to get through that she'll be able to figure out what she really wants on her own.

Thats my thought at least. Does this make sense? Im worried I may have missed your point.
Possible, but more likely I just don't understand the situation well enough since I don't know your sister. I do know that sometimes people think they know what they want, but they don't really, because they have never stopped to consider their options and their fundmental values and priorities. Or, they don't realize that their values and priorities conflict with each other. They may be doing what they were brought up to do, or what they see people around them doing, regardless of whether it is right or best for them.

One way to check this is to ask not just what do you want, but why do you want it. The answer will involve some even more basic value or goal, which in turn can be similarly questioned. The idea that your sister is too picky about dates/relationships suggests she might benefit from reassessing her goals and priorities. You know her best, though, so I still might be off the mark.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Your sister sounds like she might be normal. Well, I say normal...

There are three early-20s ENFPs I can think of right now. One was sleeping with her teacher by 16. She's still waiting on his divorce. The second is much more widely travelled than the others, but she started out more adventurous. She's also aborted one man's child, been threatened by a second man's wife, and once even had to barricade herself in a hotel room to avoid some third man's frenzied assault, and these are only the stories I know of. She's 24. The third ENFP sounds more like your sister. She's 23 now and has only recently started dating outside her own mind. I have no idea what delayed her but compared to the others, she's chosen moderately well. Some boy her own age asked her out and that was that. She's aware of watching the boy rather than being "with" him, and worries (without much inspiration) that she is just playing at love. However, in the quite conventional sense, she has "blossomed". She dyed her hair, wears makeup, and has a new collection of conventionally mature styles of clothing.

There are a million stories in the naked city, and these three are probably not actually representative, but by a got kissed before 20 metric, only the teacher's concubine makes the grade. If your sister reaches, say 23, and still isn't bored of her standards, maybe you just do have a nun on your hands.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION]

Sooo should i post a step by step tutorial as to how it would work best if i were her or should i just keep kicking [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] in the shin? ;)

Or would you prefer a q and a with both of us? Not sure where to start here...:unsure:

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7254]Wind-Up Rex[/MENTION]

Sooo should i post a step by step tutorial as to how it would work best if i were her or should i just keep kicking [MENTION=8413]Zarathustra[/MENTION] in the shin? ;)

Or would you prefer a q and a with both of us? Not sure where to start here...:unsure:

Well, since Zarathustra has acknowledged he has something to learn here as well, perhaps the step-by-step guide would be best. If, however, you discover that your explanation might be made more illuminating by sacrificing his shins to the Gods of Intertypal Peace and Harmony, then you have my blessing to do what you gotta do. ;)

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Fair warning: if the shin-kicking is too extreme, I may start a thread about the double standard of female-on-male physical abuse.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't act like you don't like it, dude :coffee: