User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 120

  1. #91
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    If an animal has a history of biting people, I have no problem with swift punishment. People must be held accountable for things they do repeatably. I have no problem with trying to play the "I feel your pain" game with the offender, but I'm also not going to let my sympathy for their plight endanger me or anyone else I care about.
    And what will your punishment accomplish? Or is it your idea to teach it even more distrust of people, to make it more aggressive and fearful? If the animal has a history of biting people, wear gloves, or don't approach it. Simple. And frankly, if you or any of those who you care for it go near it and actually are stupid enough to make it bite them as they don't respect its boundaries, then I'd say you get what you have coming.

    Self-defense is one thing, if it's between you or the animal. As is initiated aggression without a way to avoid the attack or being able to talk it down. But even then it should only be to protect yourself, not to harm the animal, imo.

    The same is true for humans. You have no idea what they went through to become the way they did. Until you make it a point to find out, you have no grounds for judging it. Or its actions. Nor do you have to find out, but then navigate its territory with care, not with hostility.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  2. #92
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,648

    Default

    Ehhm, how is any of this related to Wind-Up Rex's sister?

    This might be material for a thread of it's own, if you want to continue the discussion...
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

  3. #93
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,660

    Default

    Agreed, i was just thinking that..though Rex has been intrigued in the difference in thinking between NFPs and NTJs before, so not sure
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  4. #94
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    And what will your punishment accomplish? Or is it your idea to teach it even more distrust of people, to make it more aggressive and fearful? If the animal has a history of biting people, wear gloves, or don't approach it. Simple. And frankly, if you or any of those who you care for it go near it and actually are stupid enough to make it bite them as they don't respect its boundaries, then I'd say you get what you have coming.

    Self-defense is one thing, if it's between you or the animal. As is initiated aggression without a way to avoid the attack or being able to talk it down. But even then it should only be to protect yourself, not to harm the animal, imo.

    The same is true for humans. You have no idea what they went through to become the way they did. Until you make it a point to find out, you have no grounds for judging it. Or its actions. Nor do you have to find out, but then navigate its territory with care, not with hostility.
    I should have said if a person has a history of hurting people.

    If an animal has a history of biting people it gets put down (given that the bites are serious), regardless of what I think about the matter.

    I was talking about people the whole time and only used the term animal to continue your use of it from the prior post.

    Regarding people. Below the threshold of violent crime I don't care what their fault was by and large. Above that threshold (and other crimes that have similar levels of measurable harm) societies interest in preventing them from commiting those crimes again supersedes any concerns I may have about their back story and why they did what they did. Especially if there is an established pattern of behavior.

    I have similar thoughts regarding lesser levels of hurt inflicted on each other. I'll put up with a lot, but if you cross a certain threshold I'll let my opinion be known.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Ehhm, how is any of this related to Wind-Up Rex's sister?

    This might be material for a thread of it's own, if you want to continue the discussion...
    It doesn't relate I'll leave well enough alone.

  5. #95
    my floof is luxury Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Ehhm, how is any of this related to Wind-Up Rex's sister?

    This might be material for a thread of it's own, if you want to continue the discussion...
    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Agreed, i was just thinking that..though Rex has been intrigued in the difference in thinking between NFPs and NTJs before, so not sure
    Not sure how much say the OP gets in these things buuut...

    Things did start to get a bit off track after post #88, but what the hell? We're all friends here. It's not exactly urgent that anything be moved.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

  6. #96
    The High Priestess Amargith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi
    Posts
    14,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Not sure how much say the OP gets in these things buuut...

    Things did start to get a bit off track after post #88, but what the hell? We're all friends here. It's not exactly urgent that anything be moved.

    I'm ok with posts being moved, if you prefer the thread neat, it sorta just spiraled out of control by accident
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★





    "Harm none, do as ye will”

  7. #97
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Sorry.

  8. #98
    Senior Member animenagai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Posts
    1,573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Aren't you getting a degree of some sort in Philosophy?

    What better way to overcome the irrationality of the Passions (emotion) than the guiding light of Reason?

    Also, just a side note (since you mentioned the enneagram): what you stated about NFPs sounded a lot like an enneagram 4.
    And if you know enough about philosophy, you know that you won't convince any philosopher by just using quotes :P

    Emotional problems require emotional answers, it's really that simple. We really aren't projecting anything dude, you've said time after time that she needs a harsh dose of reality. Telling her straight up is simply not going to change anything. Once again, I find it odd that you call our approaches 'irrational'. I don't think you can accept the existence of questions outside the realm of logic. I mean don't get me wrong, the answer needs to solve something and be reasonable, but rationality in your pure Te eyes is not the desired approach here. It's like a scientist trying to carry out an empirical experiment to create a great work of art. Apples and oranges.

    PS. Enneagram problems in general ARE emotional. The names of the triads are misleading.
    Chimera of Filth

    A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

  9. #99
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Emotional problems require emotional answers, it's really that simple.
    Would you be willing to qualify what you mean by this?

  10. #100
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Emotional problems require emotional answers, it's really that simple. We really aren't projecting anything dude, you've said time after time that she needs a harsh dose of reality. Telling her straight up is simply not going to change anything. Once again, I find it odd that you call our approaches 'irrational'. I don't think you can accept the existence of questions outside the realm of logic. I mean don't get me wrong, the answer needs to solve something and be reasonable, but rationality in your pure Te eyes is not the desired approach here. It's like a scientist trying to carry out an empirical experiment to create a great work of art.
    An artist who lacks an empirical understanding of his tools and medium will have trouble expressing his artistic visions. A scientist who has no intuitive feel for his subject of study will miss those anomalous observations that lead to new understandings. It is not apples and oranges but apples and broccoli: fruits and vegetables, and we need both.

    Answering emotional problems emotionally is like treating an alcoholic by giving him booze.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] Advice for an ENFP with anxiety
    By niffer in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 09:28 PM
  2. [ENFP] Any sound advice for an ENFP?
    By RobinsonCrusoe in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 04:17 PM
  3. [ENFP] Advice for young ENFPs
    By RobinsonCrusoe in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 03:53 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Advice for my relationship with my son
    By vontrapped in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 01:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO