• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs: Managing expectations.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I noticed with myself that expectations seem to be a huge part of my life, both my own and other's. Especially when I was young, being disappointed was devastating. If I was looking forward to something coming to pass, and if it didn't go quite according to my plan of how amazing it was going to be, there would be a funk afterward.

Now, managing other's expectations seems to be the biggest thing on my mind. What I hate more than anything else is disappointing people. This is an irritating thing to feel responsible for. When people put their expectations on me, whether in what I am capable of, or even who they think I am, when I haven't made any promises, and I 'fail'... I feel double bad. I actual end up feeling betrayed by them as well as feeling a twinge for not meeting expectations.

So, I make a great effort to not give people incorrect impressions as to what I am. I have to admit, this isn't always other's fault. I can be good at leading people to think I am what they wish I was. I wonder if these are common ENFP issues. Any other types sympathize?

gromit

likes this
I also hate disappointing people. A part of what I have learned is not to say yes to things I can't actually do well, based on time or other factors.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not an ENFP but I completely relate.

Maybe I am mistyped.