Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Default Fe and morality

clearly all Fe users are not amoral bastards, so how does Fe morality form as opposed to Fi morality?
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Huh, I always thought that Fe was the standard for conventional morality - and I'm an Fi user!
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

From what I understand, Fe seeks an evaluative equilibrium (external the same as internal). This means it goes both ways - both integrating the communal values into their own value system and any internal values that they have, they will project outwards with the expectation that the people around them will comply.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I believe in many stages of morality. I think many Fe types have what I would call conventional morality that uses the values of the community to evaluate action. I think Fi types tend more toward evaluating action by intention. However, imo Fe types often go a step further if they are morally developed and think about the consequences of their moral considerations and the responsibilities that communities have to individuals as well as those that individuals have to communities.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawre...al_development
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Glycerine

Communal and individual values but we may use communal values as a starting point. It's pretty fuzzy because if you put a lot of Fe doms from the same community in a room together, there is gonna be a lot of bickering about what values should be emphasized based on individual beliefs and differences. No two Fe users morality is gonna be the same because it is highly influenced by Pi (along with other functions and factors). Je is not merely a slave and mirror to conventions. That's about it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Reconsider your question.

How does Ni morality form as opposed to Si morality?
    How does Ti morality form as opposed to Ne morality?
    How does morality form?

To understand better where I'm coming from, note that I believe most people overestimate the role of their tertiary/inferior, so you can't just split the population into Fe vs Fi and start discussing morality.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    845 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Well...considering I have an INFP friend with whom I've had a few intense discussions pertaining to Fe vs Fi, allow me to contribute:

I think that Fe vs Fi has maybe less to directly to do with communal values as it does with present emotional states. I'll notice that I'll come to almost identical moral conclusions, but will have very different ways of explaining it. For example, when my INFP friend and I discussed the topic of our 'Shadow' side (not pertaining to MBTI, but rather to the aspects of ourselves that we think are 'wrong').

My friend (INFP): "In order to find moral balance, we need to accept the demons within us instead of trying to eliminate them. Without them, we wouldn't even be able to BE good in the first place."

Me (INFJ): "I believe we should embrace the parts of us that are evil, so long as they do not lead to the suffering of others. One has to remember that what is 'good' and what is 'evil' in our society is largely arbitrary, and it is the fear of being judged for our actions that keeps the majority of us in line with society's moral values."

So in essence, I agree with you all; Fe-users are HARDLY amoral, but I think we are generally more concerned with being judged by others than being judged by our own selves, even if we're unaware of it. Where things get complicated is sometimes Fe-users will subconsciously confuse others' values as being their own; I know I've done that a few times in my childhood... -_-;;

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

oh, I was going to add to this thread about Fe not being amoral, but @Ribonuke beat me to it :P

btw, that's an interesting point of view; I'm a lot more concerned with attacks from my own conscience rather than being judged by others.

the go-to question I constantly ask myself to keep myself in check is: would you still do this if you think nobody is looking/will find out?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I believe Fe types, being Js, are exponentially more aware of cause-and-effect in the external world, and account for real-world consequences in their moral computation, whereas Fi types are more likely to zone in on themselves and account for their personal emtions in moral computation while being somewhat blind to the "real" consequences of their behavior. Like Ti types, I think Fi types seek a more "purified" set of ethics, with all principles in internal harmony, while Fe users are more willing to modify ethics to fit the situation because they seek consistency in external results. To Te and Fe, there's little point in so much idealistic refinement when the constantly-changing parameters of the external world have morphed to create a new situation long before you've finally computed the ideal response to the first. Better to create a best-fit response with the resources at hand and jump on enacting that, so that the problem is actually adressed, instead of lingering to perfect a solution that will be essentially useless by the time it's formed...

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    845 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I believe Fe types, being Js, are exponentially more aware of cause-and-effect in the external world, and account for real-world consequences in their moral computation, whereas Fi types are more likely to zone in on themselves and account for their personal emtions in moral computation while being somewhat blind to the "real" consequences of their behavior. Like Ti types, I think Fi types seek a more "purified" set of ethics, with all principles in internal harmony, while Fe users are more willing to modify ethics to fit the situation because they seek consistency in external results. To Te and Fe, there's little point in so much idealistic refinement when the constantly-changing parameters of the external world have morphed to create a new situation long before you've finally computed the ideal response to the first. Better to create a best-fit response with the resources at hand and jump on enacting that, so that the problem is actually adressed, instead of lingering to perfect a solution that will be essentially useless by the time it's formed...
    ^ This. Perfect to the 11th degree.

Yeah, this seems to make a lot of sense to me. Fe-users don't lack morals completely, but we view them in a somewhat more detached fashion, seeing them as more of a cause-and-effect.