User Tag List

View Poll Results: INFPs: Which type do you think is your ideal romantic match?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • ESTJ

3 3.85%
  • ISTJ

0 0%
  • ESTP

5 6.41%
  • ISTP

3 3.85%
  • ENTJ

4 5.13%
  • INTJ

5 6.41%
  • ENTP

4 5.13%
  • INTP

12 15.38%
  • ENFJ

16 20.51%
  • INFJ

7 8.97%
  • ENFP

6 7.69%
  • INFP

8 10.26%
  • ESFJ

0 0%
  • ISFJ

2 2.56%
  • ESFP

3 3.85%
  • ISFP

0 0%
First 132122232425 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Anyway, why do I post this? Because I think the ESTJ love gets a bad rap here and I want you girls to keep your minds open to the kind of sweetness and steadfastness an ESTJ can bring to your life. Especially now in our 40's ... as that inner romantic gets more and more developed.

True, you could enjoy love with all types, but just remember that before you shush the STJ's away. I feel very blessed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia. View Post
    Blessed indeed, they are exceedingly precious.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    there's so much of a message in there, that I can't fully explain to you all
    He has no money for his fare home because he's given it all to you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    i was ilustrating that the claim is pointless - the ignorance can sit on either side of the problem, depending on which of the above described PoV you chose to adhere too.

you have something that behaves like Fi, and if you choose to view functions as behavioral descriptions only, then it can be said that you have Fi, in which case my illustration would suggest i am ignorant to what Fi is simply because i am suggesting that the "Fi-like" behavior can stem from something else altogether, as in the first philosophy there's no question to what it stems from in the first place, and thus it wouldn't matter, there's no distinction between "Fi" and "Fi-like", since the likeness is the only criteria.

if you choose to take the (somewhat higher risk and more presumptuous) endeavor of thinking of functions as more then that, a.k.a. a more detailed phenomena then just the surface manifestation which has deeper cognitive origin, then the question of whether something is Fi or Fi-like but with a different origin, then the possibility you have something which acts like Fi but has alternative origins is likely.

such as the one i suggested, your version of Fi-like-behavior being "Fe in a box", or any other. the first version is more reliable, but the second version is a lot more interesting. for example, in myself i know that Fe+Si, can resemble Fi at times, but when examined deeper its very distinct from Fi, it's about feeling when there's a contrast with what is basically "habits[Si] of thoughtfulness[Fe]" rather then any deep seated moral sense of right and wrong. likewise, Ti+Ne can manifest in ways which resemble Ni without actually being Ni or carrying much of the implications that Ni has. in this manner, the exploration of function theory can become less metaphorical and a lot more meaningful.
    So true. What @Salome is saying doesn't really seem to back much evidence (and why we would have to bother about Fe or Fi in the first place if we could be users for all the 8 functions. If you recognize Fi in yourself maybe you have it as a preferred function seems more right. )
    'Remember that, like love, resistance to temptation makes the heart grow stronger' - Stephen King

FiNe, for now.
    Sp/So/Sx

Quote Originally Posted by AverOblivious1 View Post
    So true. What @Salome is saying doesn't really seem to back much evidence (and why we would have to bother about Fe or Fi in the first place if we could be users for all the 8 functions. If you recognize Fi in yourself maybe you have it as a preferred function seems more right. )
    You won't find much evidence as far as MBTI is concerned. It's a joke theory, junk food. If someone says they have access to a function outside of the main stack the theory says they should have its better to at least humour them (if not believe them) and adjust the theory accordingly. There isn't any universal agreement on whether we use 4 functions or 8 functions (though I don't think we actually use any.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    There isn't any universal agreement on whether we use 4 functions or 8 functions (though I don't think we actually use any.)
    I always find it absurd that people think it's possible to be human and conscious and not completely retarded and not use (the correlates) of both Si and Se, for example.
    Of course we do. We all do. Though, sadly, most people seem to get by without ever using Ti.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I always find it absurd that people think it's possible to be human and conscious and not completely retarded and not use (the correlates) of both Si and Se, for example.
    Of course we do. We all do. Though, sadly, most people seem to get by without ever using Ti.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    I agree with the 8 function model, though I have my doubts that MBTI and a function even exists. I believe that if neuroscience advances on its current course MBTI will be inevitably thrown out and function theory superceded. As for Ti, perhaps we all use it but it's just not listened to? You need to keep some attention on the inner world, if not you could end up with an unfortunate scenario similar to mowing your lawn outside when a burgular has sneaked into your house through the alternate entrance and is stealing your stuff from right underneath your nose.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFp

I agree with the 8 function model, though I have my doubts that MBTI and a function even exists. I believe that if neuroscience advances on its current course MBTI will be inevitably thrown out and function theory superceded. As for Ti, perhaps we all use it but it's just not listened to? You need to keep some attention on the inner world, if not you could end up with an unfortunate scenario similar to mowing your lawn outside when a burgular has sneaked into your house through the alternate entrance and is stealing your stuff from right underneath your nose.
    Yeah. I've heard MBTI is based on Jungian theory which I hear is based on random accounts of patients Jung personally analyzed, and how his patients identified with their inhibitions/excitations. So I reckon the basis needs to be stronger for it to be anywhere near the potential of neuroscience or even well defined psychological theory.
    @Salomé What you're saying has maybe a good thinking process behind it. But there is also the idea that we have noticed things like Se/Si but we repress one or the either (it's just what we've grown to adapt to), I can repress Fe, but that doesn't mean I can't connect with the feelings of the group (I usually display this behavior espesh when I get overly shy and quiet), but that I don't have the line of cognitive thinking that most people who identify with Fe have. I think what MBTI tries to describe (trying really hardily) are the things that are common amongst people in personality (like Jung set out), rather than common behavior. We can repress and express behavior all the time. But cognitively we inevitably repress something, and I think MBTI theory tries to say that that greater thing within us that is repressed is maybe.. Fe in my case, or Fi in your case.

MBTI can be pretty pseudo though, maybe there is some common ground there.
    'Remember that, like love, resistance to temptation makes the heart grow stronger' - Stephen King

FiNe, for now.
    Sp/So/Sx

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^Your posts don't make sense to me, so I don't know how to respond.
    I think of functions as metaphorical buckets for holding ideas about different ways of engaging with reality. As such they exist, even if they have no fine-grained neural correlates to map onto. One doesn't have to accept any particular ordering scheme or other dogma about how functions interact in order to accept their existence.

They exist simply because we have a language for talking about them, and that language represents aspects of reality as we experience it. A kind of shorthand.
    Insofar as a concept has utility, it has validity.
    It's as senseless to say there is no such thing as Fi as to say there is no such thing as integrity. Can we prove integrity has objective existence? Not really. Nevertheless, it's a useful idea.

Your analogy is strange. I'm not sure how it relates to use/non-use of Ti.

Jung dreamt a great deal about the dead, the land of the dead, and the rising of the dead. These represented the unconscious itself -- not the "little" personal unconscious that Freud made such a big deal out of, but a new collective unconscious of humanity itself, an unconscious that could contain all the dead, not just our personal ghosts. Jung began to see the mentally ill as people who are haunted by these ghosts, in an age where no-one is supposed to even believe in them. If we could only recapture our mythologies, we would understand these ghosts, become comfortable with the dead, and heal our mental illnesses.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.