User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Cynical INFP's

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Default Cynical INFP's

Greetings. This is my first thread, yay me. I half wish it was on something a little more positive but oh well.
    Feel free to share your own experiences here on this, do you as an INFP experience a disturbing amount of cynicism in your life - either from within yourself, or other people in their views on you?
    Please give reasons as to the whys, what and hows. I'm curious to see how people deal with this if it is present within your life and how it manifests itself in your day to day living especially in regards to interpersonal relationships.

Looking forward to see your replies, any input would be nice especially perspectives from types other than the INFP type and how they see them.

Sorry if there is an old thread covering this, I am new here still and didn't want to revive any old ones.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Homosexuality

thinking of you

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm the most cynical person I know... So... Yes?

I'm really not completely sure what you want here...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by sleuthiness View Post
    Homosexuality
    Lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I'm the most cynical person I know... So... Yes?

I'm really not completely sure what you want here...
    I'm asking for shared experiences here. Where you always cynical or did a series of events cause you to head in that direction.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Joehobo View Post
    I'm asking for shared experiences here. Where you always cynical or did a series of events cause you to head in that direction.
    Hah, no I was not always cynical. A long series of events paired with how my own mind works has been pushing me in that direction.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Hah, no I was not always cynical. A long series of events paired with how my own mind works has been pushing me in that direction.
    Your own mind works, high expectations played a part in this right? People closest to you disappointing you, making you feel left out to dry. Am I missing the mark?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Your own mind works, high expectations played a part in this right? People closest to you disappointing you, making you feel left out to dry. Am I missing the mark?
    Haha, no, you pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Those aren't the only things that factor in, but they are some of the bigger ones.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

No I wasn't always cynical. In my memory I was a wide-eyed, naive, idealist as a child, but after your soul gets crushed repeatedly over time, cynicism starts to creep in.

I think cynicism for INFPs allows us the best of both worlds: you get to express your idealistic side and bemoan society's failure to live up to your ideal, while at the same time avoiding coming across as some pathetic sad sap. I guess what I'm saying is, it's not just a reflection of our attitude to life but also is a socially acceptable form of authentic expression of self.

Cynicism + sarcastic humour is even more epic, because it's just generally awesome, and because, in reality, I'm only ever half joking; although people rarely work this out.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Haha, no, you pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Those aren't the only things that factor in, but they are some of the bigger ones.
    The other and bigger ones being things you aren't really comfortable to share? If that isn't the case, please do.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    No I wasn't always cynical. In my memory I was a wide-eyed, naive, idealist as a child, but after your soul gets crushed repeatedly over time, cynicism starts to creep in.

I think cynicism for INFPs allows us the best of both worlds: you get to express your idealistic side and bemoan society's failure to live up to your ideal, while at the same time avoiding coming across as some pathetic sad sap. I guess what I'm saying is, it's not just a reflection of our attitude to life but also is a socially acceptable form of authentic expression of self.

Cynicism + sarcastic humour is even more epic, because it's just generally awesome, and because, in reality, I'm only ever half joking; although people rarely work this out.
    A rather positive light you're putting this in, I've always thought it to be a negative trait to be cynical but I guess I could just be looking at it all wrong. It seems like an inherent flaw in idealists, the idea of having to become that way sounds depressing just so we can conform and be socially acceptable, is this really the best road to go down? Lately I've been told by those close to me that I'm becoming less of how I used to be, and more cynical in nature. Yet I feel that because of those same people I'm heading in that direction so I can't help but think that the problem is us to begin with or we just need to be around more like minded people to keep ourselves intact - so to speak.
    Is this just how we are all ment to grow into?

It is epic humour, painful to differentiate on the interwebz though haha.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

The other and bigger ones being things you aren't really comfortable to share? If that isn't the case, please do.
    Hmmm. My parents' divorce, having my mom repeatedly send me to the hospital, being largely socially excluded in school, and countless little reasons. Nothing really recent though.

I'd wager that no one was always a cynical person, it seems to be an acquired state of mind.