User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 97

Thread: Cynical INFP's

  1. #31
    jump sleuthiness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Treading a fine line with that reasoning, Udog, though it's likely the wording I have issues with.

    thinking of you

  2. #32
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    @sleuthiness: Clarify?

  3. #33
    Senior Member Scott N Denver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I think some INFPs manage to avoid it, but it's pretty common. It usually kicks in around the time we realize that the real world doesn't cooperate with our idealism, which seems to frequently occur during our teenage years and early 20s.

    The end result depends on how the INFP processes it. Some never outgrow it and remain cynics. Others become "battle hardened grizzled veterans". Some get broken. And many out grow it, and figure out how to mesh idealism with reality while avoiding the negative emotions of cynicism. Personally, I find the last to be the ideal solution.
    I don't think I've ever been particularly cynical, for example. Sarcastic, sure, cynical about a small thing here or there briefly, sure. But cynical in general or overall, no. We all get to make choices in life. And if your old choices aren't going how you wanted, you always have the freedom to try new choices. Attitude choices are much more accessible than career or living location ones, though even the latter often still can be done.

  4. #34
    jump sleuthiness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Whether people realize or not, our thought processes are more intricately woven than commonly illustrated. As when public figures begin with "s/he hates us" with poor evidence to support a weak claim (extreme example), presupposition of negativity in others is, infact, cynicism itself.

    It should be understood that use of the word "cynic" and any of its variations is purely an art form, as is all that encompasses human perception and expression. Basically everything people say when laughably denouncing typology.

    thinking of you

  5. #35
    Senior Member Joehobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    I think some INFPs manage to avoid it, but it's pretty common. It usually kicks in around the time we realize that the real world doesn't cooperate with our idealism, which seems to frequently occur during our teenage years and early 20s.

    The end result depends on how the INFP processes it. Some never outgrow it and remain cynics. Others become "battle hardened grizzled veterans". Some get broken. And many out grow it, and figure out how to mesh idealism with reality while avoiding the negative emotions of cynicism. Personally, I find the last to be the ideal solution.
    Certainly fits with me, being 20 this has really started to kick in. I guess my search for this was triggered by the fact I was being pointed out as a cynic by those closest to me, I didn't even realise my own behaviour towards them. Really it was just bitterness towards choices they had made which went against their OWN set of principles which they judged me by. I had stupidly made the mistake of taking on some of their own values without giving it the proper scrutiny of whether or not it was something I really wanted to believe in on my own.
    Does this sound about right in those scenario's?

    I agree with you on the last as well. Most definately sound.
    Which where you, Udog?

  6. #36
    Senior Member Joehobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    I don't think I've ever been particularly cynical, for example. Sarcastic, sure, cynical about a small thing here or there briefly, sure. But cynical in general or overall, no. We all get to make choices in life. And if your old choices aren't going how you wanted, you always have the freedom to try new choices. Attitude choices are much more accessible than career or living location ones, though even the latter often still can be done.
    It sounds like you have a really healthy outlook on life. It's refreshing to see this, truly.

  7. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    54

    Default

    95% of the time, I'm incredibly cynical.

    The other 5% I'm stoned or drunk.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Joehobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unityemissions View Post
    95% of the time, I'm incredibly cynical.

    The other 5% I'm stoned or drunk.
    You sound like fun.

  9. #39
    Seriously Delirious Udog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None
    Posts
    5,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joehobo View Post
    Certainly fits with me, being 20 this has really started to kick in. I guess my search for this was triggered by the fact I was being pointed out as a cynic by those closest to me, I didn't even realise my own behaviour towards them. Really it was just bitterness towards choices they had made which went against their OWN set of principles which they judged me by. I had stupidly made the mistake of taking on some of their own values without giving it the proper scrutiny of whether or not it was something I really wanted to believe in on my own.
    Does this sound about right in those scenario's?
    Few things will get someone on my bad side quicker than willful hypocrisy, so I can see that. It's not the only scenario, but it's definitely one.

    I agree with you on the last as well. Most definately sound.
    Which where you, Udog?
    Realistically, a bit of all three. There's a few areas I still find myself a bit cynical about (to my dismay), I'm a bit hardened in other areas (to my disappointment), and I've accepted and moved on with several other big things. I mainly strive for consciousness, since cynicism doesn't lead to happiness. Once I'm conscious of it, I can start looking digging a bit deep and try and figure out what truths I need to accept in order to rise above it.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Joehobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Realistically, a bit of all three. There's a few areas I still find myself a bit cynical about (to my dismay), I'm a bit hardened in other areas (to my disappointment), and I've accepted and moved on with several other big things. I mainly strive for consciousness, since cynicism doesn't lead to happiness. Once I'm conscious of it, I can start looking digging a bit deep and try and figure out what truths I need to accept in order to rise above it.
    Sounds like an effective strategy, opposed to enabling initial reactions. I've been handling things in a similar matter and it makes me wonder how much in reality I've ignored and hoped that I can avoid aswell as hoped others who are close to me could/would also avoid. Are the things you find yourself cynical about only really specific things related to whatever initially caused it or has it spread? Has this way of thinking been effective for you in the long run?

Similar Threads

  1. [INFP] Questions for and about INFPs.
    By Cindyrella in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 234
    Last Post: Today, 09:46 AM
  2. [INFP] INFPs, is that you?
    By Tayshaun in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-14-2015, 07:52 PM
  3. [INFP] Questions for INFPs about INFPs
    By marm in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 01:48 AM
  4. [INFP] Cynical INFPs
    By dynamiteninja in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 03:08 AM
  5. [INFP] INFPs cynics
    By Gengar in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO