User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Nonsocial ENFPs

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    Hap, it sounds like you have the same problem, but expressed it in terms of yourself. Very introverted, very cool indeed.
    I wouldn't really call it a problem. I'm not going to start doing things that a lot of people can relate to just so I have conversation fodder. I also don't like rehashing old information (which is mostly what smalltalk is, I've noticed), so I find no reason to participate.

However, if the conversation shifts to something I know a lot about, I'm interested in and have strong opinions about, it can be difficult to get me to shut up.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Hey, wait a minute! Couldn't "antisocial" be simply the opposite of social? As in antithesis, antichrist... ie, the embodiment of what is not social?!?! Friggin'

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    Hey, wait a minute! Couldn't "antisocial" be simply the opposite of social? As in antithesis, antichrist... ie, the embodiment of what is not social?!?! Friggin'
    Now we're just arguing connotation versus denotation...

The 'antisocial' in 'antisocial personality disorder' means 'against sociality.' Because of the connotation with the word 'antisocial,' people mistakenly believe that 'antisocial personality disorder' has to do with not being social, and we get all these crazy ideas that if somebody's a loner they must be troubled and want to shoot up public buildings, when this is not the case.

To keep things consistent:

1. Antisocial -- most definitions consider this one as being hostile to society and generally against it in an active way.

2. Asocial -- a little nicer, but still in a lot of ways the same as antisocial. It's generally less active than antisocial but generally averse to social contact and withdrawn, and more egocentric than being antisocial.

3. Nonsocial -- simply 'not social.' Not actively social, and not seeking to be social, just not being socially oriented. This is the least charged word of all of them.

4. Shy -- being reserved out of sensitivity or general timidness. May want to be social, but not necessarily. It's more active than just being 'nonsocial'.

And then there's just generally being socially inept, meaning you may want to be involved socially but just find that you're not good at it at all. Theoretically you could use 'antisocial' to mean the opposite of social, but in this case the word and the prefix has gained a definition through use and medical texts and it would not be recommended to go about using such a charged word as meaning something so harmless.

So... I hope this helps clear some things up.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

ENFPs seem to be the most introverted extroverts, or they at least enjoy activities that are generally enjoyed primarily by introverts far more than any other type of extrovert. They're about the most common extrovert that participates in online discussions, for instance.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hap, where did you get your "definitive" definitions?

And you do understand the hierarchical relevance of the numbered definitions given in a dictionary, right? The first being the primary definition and the last being the most deviated/derived connotation.

Asocial does mean *not* social.

asocial - Definitions from Dictionary.com

And nonsocial, well, it's not really applicable to human beings.

nonsocial - Definitions from Dictionary.com
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Hee hee, thanks Haphazard . I do believe nonsocial is the better word, and so it is changed. Hazah!

Now, Wolf's comment makes me wonder why ENFPs in particular are so introverted. Fi seems to be the winner from what other ENFPs are saying... but then why aren't ESFPs prone to nonsociality (let's pretend that's a real word)... or are they?

Yup, I'm starting a new thread in the sp section. I'm sooooo procrastinating right now.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Hap, where did you get your "definitive" definitions?

And you do understand the hierarchical relevance of the numbered definitions given in a dictionary, right? The first being the primary definition and the last being the most deviated/deviated connotation.

Asocial does mean *not* social.

asocial - Definitions from Dictionary.com

And nonsocial, well, it's not really applicable to human beings.

nonsocial - Definitions from Dictionary.com
    There are more dictionaries than dictionary.com.

Merriam Webster:
    Nonsocial
    Asocial

I'm just trying to help. I thought it would be a good idea to keep things clear for the purpose of understanding. The point to differentiate the tiers of not being social is to make sure people aren't saying things they don't mean and to prevent misunderstanding. Even if you mean 'antisocial' to mean 'not social,' which it could possibly be used, it's been so heavily loaded with psychiatric connotation that you wouldn't want to use it. You know, like using the word 'faggot' when what you mean is a tied-together bundle of sticks.

MBTI
    JIxT

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    sriv:

Personally, I never need time alone to "re-energize", rather I need time alone to, well, *be* with only me. I enjoy introspecting, lol, almost to a detrimental degree.

I need time alone to think about life in general and my life particularly, which includes thinking about my existence, who I am, how I feel, what I want, and "where" I want to be.

And what do you mean by, "My friend defines the world in terms of himself"? I don't know what defining the world in terms of yourself is suppose to mean.
    Oh, ok. Is your alone time a hobby, or is it necessary?

My ENFP friend defines himself on who he is instead of who others are or what the world wants him to be. He HATES MBTI with a passion because I am always attempting to relate his traits and his actions to classic ENFP. His individuality is in danger so he fights. Oh well...he's missing out.
    Reyson: ...If you were to change your ways, I'm sure we could rebuild the relationship the two of us once shared.

Naesala: Oh no, that I could never do. You see, humans are essential to the fulfillment of my ambitions.

Reyson: You've changed, Naesala. If this is the path you've chosen, I've nothing left to say.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by sriv View Post
    Oh, ok. Is your alone time a hobby, or is it necessary?

My ENFP friend defines himself on who he is instead of who others are or what the world wants him to be. He HATES MBTI with a passion because I am always attempting to relate his traits and his actions to classic ENFP. His individuality is in danger so he fights. Oh well...he's missing out.
    Again, your friend is verbalizing an introverted function... but it isn't his dominant function, which is extroverted. Thus he's an extrovert. (verbalizing Fi, but dominated by Ne).

... and let's just say my alone time is a necessary hobby... OK, it's definitely necessary, but not for energy purposes.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hap, I take it you didn't check out the links. :rolli:

Dictionary.com is *not* a dictionary, rather it is a site that provides many definitions/usages/etymologies collected from *several* reputable dictionaries as well as other reference sources.

You are a smart girl and I will tell you right now, if you are at all linguistically inclined (which I think you are), I would suggest that you switch your internet lexicon source of the English language to dictionary.com as it is far superior to the one you are currently using.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles