User Tag List

First 234

heart on fire

I think that people cause far more harm by trying to deny evil and being too afraid of it than do those who actually enjoy evil acts.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Evil does fascinate me. I want to understand it inside and out. Without understanding what evil actually is, what is desires and how it behaves, how would humans have any hope of transmuting it? The only way to beat it, is to become a walking encylopedia about it. Walk beside it, listen to what it has to tell you, let it teach you about itself.
    When you do this, how do you do it? Do you empathise with it, argue with yourself in its favor to get perspective on it? What insights have you gotten this way? Do they help?

heart on fire

Oh edited my post...I firgured I was going to a place most people don't really care about...sorry. I read a lot of gnostic materials and Jung and Blake for a start, also read about how things like psychology are used to manipulate us through media to alter our inner sense of morality, how subtle evil is, how we lie to ourselves bit by bit, make compromises with life in order to not burn bridges with others and in the end become changed by life to allow ourselves to become as corrupted by the world as it is. Evil comes as an angel of light, seduces us with our ego and love of ease, argues to us through reason and sympathy. It seldom comes carrying a big stick.

The book, The Godfather is a great education in how evil works in our world. In that book, the mafia is not the main evil, just using evil in others and the system to do its work. The mafia is evil, but not the only one to blame for what they do, it is also the weakness in others and the system that allows it to go on... Just one example. I will try to remember some of the others.

heart on fire

A true sage about evil, Leonard Cohen, if you walk with evil unknowing...watch out, you won't know what is taking you over but it will grow to own you and once you learn this and forget again, you are doubly lost. We tend to want to quickly forget and deny when we are seduced by evil and fall, we should remember:

By the rivers dark
    I wandered on.
    I lived my life
    in Babylon.

And I did forget
    My holy song:
    And I had no strength
    In Babylon.

By the rivers dark
    Where I could not see
    Who was waiting there
    Who was hunting me.

And he cut my lip
    And he cut my heart.
    So I could not drink
    From the river dark.

And he covered me,
    And I saw within,
    My lawless heart
    And my wedding ring,

I did not know
    And I could not see
    Who was waiting there,
    Who was hunting me.

By the rivers dark
    []
    I panicked on.
    I belonged at last
    to Babylon.

Then he struck my heart
    With a deadly force,
    And he said, ‘This heart:
    It is not yours.’

And he gave the wind
    My wedding ring;
    And he circled us
    With everything.

By the rivers dark,
    In a wounded dawn,
    I live my life
    In Babylon.

Though I take my song
    From a withered limb,
    Both song and tree,
    They sing for him.

Be the truth unsaid
    And the blessing gone,
    If I forget
    My Babylon.

I did not know
    And I could not see
    Who was waiting there,
    Who was hunting me.

By the rivers dark,
    Where it all goes on;
    By the rivers dark
    In Babylon.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I think that people cause far more harm by trying to deny evil and being too afraid of it than do those who actually enjoy evil acts.
    We can contribute this way by sweeping corruption under the rug, by covering our eyes to it, and also by reacting without an accurate understanding of the truth when we think we see it. A lot of ways to mess things up with good intentions and ignorance.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Buds of May View Post
    We can contribute this way by sweeping corruption under the rug, by covering our eyes to it, and also by reacting without an accurate understanding of the truth when we think we see it. A lot of ways to mess things up with good intentions and ignorance.
    Exactly. Also when we go along to get along, when we sell out our principles in the name of what the world tells us is "reasonable." We sell out to evil in pieces most of the time. Our ego, our vanity, our fear, our love of ease, our desire to be in harmony, our desire to fit in and to be respected, even our sympathy and compassion... all of these things can be manipulated by evil to led us to places we never intended to go.

The half lie is used far more often than the outright lie. The half deal, make a compromise with evil to make gains today...these are the ways.

I just saw a good movie about standing up, called The Girl From the Cafe.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Exactly. Also when we go along to get along, when we sell out our principles in the name of what the world tells us is "reasonable." We sell out to evil in pieces most of the time. Our ego, our vanity, our fear, our love of ease, our desire to be in harmony, our desire to fit in and to be respected, even our sympathy and compassion... all of these things can be manipulated by evil to led us to places we never intended to go.

The half lie is used far more often than the outright lie. The half deal, make a compromise with evil to make gains today...these are the ways.
    When I was reading this I thought of the song 'Devil is a Loser' by Lordi

YouTube - Lordi - Devil Is A Loser

Lordi - Devil is a Loser LYRICS

It seems to be a song about selling out to evil to get ahead or accepted.

---

Also, the Dragon Rouge cult (Ordo Draconis et Atris Adamantis) has an interesting concept of 'grey' evil vs 'true' evil:

This grey evil that surrounds us in our world is mainly committed by frustrated and confused individuals, power mad politicians or criminals, unable to control petty desires. This evil has in reality nothing whatsoever to do with the metaphysical evil that we encounter in religious documents. Man has in fact a unique predilection for brutality and excessive violence which distinguishes him from other animals. We seem to be sole creators of death camps, mass rape, meat factories and extensive killing for amusement purposes. The grey evil is human, all too human, while metaphysical evil is black as night and completely inhuman.
    (Dragon Rouge : Ordo Draconis et Atri Adamantis)

---

I feel on the same page as Athenian. I don't know if I'm heartless or oversensitive sometimes, but it feels that I can be either. I have broke down and cried for a half hour over the unfair, sad ending of a book (And felt sad for at least a week) but then be detached to a person who I felt I should be close to.