• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What do you guys do with all of your feelings?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Wow, lots of good posts. I am glad you guys figured this one out yourselves, because my OP was a little too self-centered to reply to. I am not good at explaining things (anal cattle prodding? Why did I think that was helpful?).

I was also wondering about art as a release. I dunno if anyone has used art, but I do remember someone mentioning how journalling doesn't work for them that well. I know people mentioned watching art, but what about the act of creation?

Since no one else is going to say it, it sounds like you need to have good sex.

Ha! True. I don't like sex for reasons I don't want to get into in this thread, but I imagine I am missing out. I am focusing too much on the big head.

...I do have tv shows that I cry at all the time.

It was greys anatomy... Every single time I would cry like a baby so much that my throat gets all tight and everything. Haha

I cry easily during movies or tv shows but I also laugh a whole lot or get all ooey gooey from all the sweetness.

However, I become incredibly emotionally invested in television/movies/theatre, music, and all forms of art. It's very cathartic.

What I was referring to is like sometimes I just need an emotional release. I need to be overwhelmed by feelings and just release it all. I can get it from watching youtube videos or tv shows or reading certain stories or whatever. My wife is always like "are you ok?" and she worries about me but she doesn't really get it. I get all cathartic and I just have to let some things out. I don't think it makes sense to her that I'm sitting around crying because I want to.

(ps -- I had to stop watching Grey's Anatomy because it was too much. The general emotions were ok, but it always made me afraid I had some awful disease.)

Wow, I think I need to find myself a show to watch! I can't imagine crying while watching TV, but I mostly watch comedies...I need some drama in my life!

Maybe I'll start reading Nicholas Sparks novels ;)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whenever I get a little antsy, I kill a hobo or two and all is right again.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I try and channel emotional energy into something creative. I don't go too literal with it... as FineLine mentioned, I too never found journaling useful (and I'm not particularly good at it; I draw blanks when it comes to direct expression like that). When I was younger, I'd draw a lot, and it would sort of lull me into an emotional neutral zone, and everything felt a little less important, so that it's put into its place. I write some bad poetry too :D , but again, it's not literal (the way journaling tends to be). The tangible results feel good too.

There are INFPs who say, "Well, I just don't have any artistic talent", and that's fine, but it's still worth finding a creative outlet of some kind (doesn't have to be artsy). Many people benefit from such things, but I think Fi-dom especially do, because it allows for extraordinary ways of expressing when everyday language fails to do the job.

So ultimately, when I started feeling boxed in or squeezed or snowed under, I took that as a signal that I had fallen into a rut or something and needed to act directly on my circumstances to change things.

This too.

Take action! If you can't solve one thing, then look to some other area.

Take the focus off yourself too, which will actually benefit YOU. I do some volunteer work with my church; it's therapeutic for me AND it helps other people. When I've had a bad day, I've gotten up & just driven to do some work because it's THAT good for my head. Otherwise, I'm just going to wallow under the covers & listen to depressing music :tongue:

The feelings I have in my day to day life are more... fierce, refined, and inconsequential, all at once. When something bothers me at once I work it and meld it to my worldview, figure out why I've made a judgement, and what changes, and how why what when where in my mental landscape is different, and integrate. Feelings I directly experience rarely move me, and serve more to define who I am.

However, I become incredibly emotionally invested in television/movies/theatre, music, and all forms of art. It's very cathartic.

I can certainly relate to this.... Do you ever get stuck in this analysis though? There's a great benefit to it, and such "melding into one's worldview" & "integrating into one's mental landscape" is precisely what makes one a Fi-dom (IMO), but there's this point where it's ALL introverting & you're cutting off from the external world and spiraling down into some black hole where things get rather distorted.... Even the internalized responses to art & all the enlightenment it provides can become like some substitution for real living... It's also precisely why the Fi type appears to not feel at all, because of the lack of external response due to an internalizing of feeling & rational examination. It's not repression, but it can become a kind of disconnect with the physiological aspect of emotions & the way they connect to feeling in terms of expressing valuation.

I find this a trap when I indulge in it too much, although it's a heavy part of my inner activity & general mindset.

kissmyasthma

MBTI Type
I???
Enneagram
huh
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Wow, I think I need to find myself a show to watch! I can't imagine crying while watching TV, but I mostly watch comedies...I need some drama in my life!

Maybe I'll start reading Nicholas Sparks novels ;)

That's funny, because I tend to watch comedies when I'm feeling low (or not; I do just really love comedy in general). But for me, laughter is a great release, and yeah it's sometimes like distraction or escapism, but I think finding things to laugh about is a really great way of releasing my emotions without wallowing in them.

Of course, there are some comedies that make you laugh AND cry (Planes, Trains, and Automobiles does it for me).

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
What do you guys do with all of your feelings?

Unless they immediately need addressing...

I crush them in my mind vice. (much like Jack Donaghy)

jackdonaghy-sexawesome.gif

jackdonaghy-pilot.jpg

jackdonaghy-tux.jpg

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was also wondering about art as a release. I dunno if anyone has used art, but I do remember someone mentioning how journalling doesn't work for them that well. I know people mentioned watching art, but what about the act of creation?
Music works better for me. I am a musician myself, but also enjoy listening.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can certainly relate to this.... Do you ever get stuck in this analysis though? There's a great benefit to it, and such "melding into one's worldview" & "integrating into one's mental landscape" is precisely what makes one a Fi-dom (IMO), but there's this point where it's ALL introverting & you're cutting off from the external world and spiraling down into some black hole where things get rather distorted.... Even the internalized responses to art & all the enlightenment it provides can become like some substitution for real living... It's also precisely why the Fi type appears to not feel at all, because of the lack of external response due to an internalizing of feeling & rational examination. It's not repression, but it can become a kind of disconnect with the physiological aspect of emotions & the way they connect to feeling in terms of expressing valuation.

I find this a trap when I indulge in it too much, although it's a heavy part of my inner activity & general mindset.

I have, but it's gotten easier to keep my head above water as I've gotten older. I can relate a lot to the appearance of not feeling that one usually sees in an Fi type, and especially the term you used - "disconnect with the physiological aspect of emotions". Is this something common with Fi users?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have, but it's gotten easier to keep my head above water as I've gotten older. I can relate a lot to the appearance of not feeling that one usually sees in an Fi type, and especially the term you used - "disconnect with the physiological aspect of emotions". Is this something common with Fi users?
I relate to alot in OA's post as well, even with only tert-Fi. At the same time, I made deliberate choices early on to control outward manifestation or expression of emotions. (Not sure how common this is in Fi-dom/aux. For me it is much driven by Ni-Te.) This has served me in good stead in many situations, but with the downside you describe. I don't ignore emotions, but really connecting with them is difficult and potentially very messy.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Emotional outlet solutions: writing, painting to music, jogging, sex, organizing, planning.

Emotional overload solutions: sleep, massage, reading fanfiction. :blush: