• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] short rant on NFs

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Of course I could, and exceptionally well. But it doesn't match my observations, so it wouldn't please me to do so: Big difference between INTP and ENTJ.
My observations would place SPs as the most flighty. ;)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
My observations would place SPs as the most flighty. ;)
I would say SPs are finicky, which can lead to similar behavior. But the theme of my argument is justification, regarding which, differences exist.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are NF's loyal? IME... No. They are flighty. Never have their priorities straight. For people who are so "people-orientated" a lot of them dont have many close friends.

IME Sp and Sj are far more loyal. Sticking with their true friends when they most need them. NFs are so wrapped up in themselves. I think they are the most selfish people out there. Ever talk to an NF on the phone? Garauntee the conversation will always find a way back to the NF's favorite topic.... themself.

However, NF's are prone to the "holding onto a shitty relationship way too long" syndrome. Could that even be considered loyal? It seems like something else to me. Neediness, clinginess. Not loyalty.

They're also hypocrites. Will leech onto you and depend on you for everything. For emotional stability. For friendship. Will want to share their whole life with you. They want to tell you all their problems. But as soon as you need them for something, it's never as important as when THEY have a problem.

These are the type of people... You could save their life one day. And they next day they would end your friendship because they need to "find themself and start over".

You seem like a great guy that is destined to attract NFs looking for quality relationships.

V

violaine

Are NF's loyal? IME... No. They are flighty. Never have their priorities straight. For people who are so "people-orientated" a lot of them dont have many close friends.

IME Sp and Sj are far more loyal. Sticking with their true friends when they most need them. NFs are so wrapped up in themselves. I think they are the most selfish people out there. Ever talk to an NF on the phone? Garauntee the conversation will always find a way back to the NF's favorite topic.... themself.

However, NF's are prone to the "holding onto a shitty relationship way too long" syndrome. Could that even be considered loyal? It seems like something else to me. Neediness, clinginess. Not loyalty.

They're also hypocrites. Will leech onto you and depend on you for everything. For emotional stability. For friendship. Will want to share their whole life with you. They want to tell you all their problems. But as soon as you need them for something, it's never as important as when THEY have a problem.

These are the type of people... You could save their life one day. And they next day they would end your friendship because they need to "find themself and start over".

I'm NF and I am intensely loyal. I won't go into too much detail but I've been through two longstanding major life crises with different people. I'm always there for my friends. GD if I had a dollar for every time I did something for someone out of loyalty and fairness to them. Even in those times when I've wanted to run I didn't and I don't out of principle. This is kind of a wide brush you're using to tar peeps with... maybe you're just having a rant though. My friends are good to me too, it inspires loyalty.

Last edited:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I am fully aware I won't get any brownie points for saying this, so please note my reckless disregard for my own social status. :)

The OP makes a degree of sense. In my observations, NFs, moreso than NT, SJ, and SP, are capable of justifying whatever they do, whether the actions are impulsive or premeditated. The strong tendency to trust Feeling coupled with the lack of respect for convention can lead NFs to follow whatever whims please them, and still believe their righteousness to be consistently impeccable.
Addition to above:

The flipside to this coin is that NFs Feeling-based decisions usually lead them to do what most people call "good."

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8

Go away, little fly.

Did you get syphilis and your brain degrade to swiss cheese? I don't understand how people who make posts like this think.

Lizzy1813

MBTI Type
ENFP
Addition to above:

The flipside to this coin is that NFs Feeling-based decisions usually lead them to do what most people call "good."

And this is bad...? :huh:

I personally have a friend who acts the way he's generalizing NFs: wants to talk about herself, isn't interested in what I have to say, etc....and she's an NT! I think it's either spoiled or unbalanced people who act this way, not a specific type...everyone is their own person, with their own choices to be a certain way. Yes, nature (type) can influence this, but it is each induvidual's decision to be that way that dictates their final actions.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
2 things surprise me about this thread:

1) I read it.
2) People are actually seriously responding to it. It's a RANT. Clearly all NFs aren't flighty self-centered, flaky lame-o ditziepoops. Nor are those traits exclusive to any type (except "human"). Dude(tte)'s just ranting. What's to discuss?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
And this is bad...? :huh:
No, it's good. If "good" is good, it's good. We good?

2 things surprise me about this thread:

1) I read it.
2) People are actually seriously responding to it. It's a RANT. Clearly all NFs aren't flighty self-centered, flaky lame-o ditziepoops. Nor are those traits exclusive to any type (except "human"). Dude(tte)'s just ranting. What's to discuss?
I thought I did a decent job de-ranting the rant, and stating the potential cause of the problems leading to the ranter's frustration. "This is bad?"

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
No, it's good. If "good" is good, it's good. We good?

I agree with what you initially said, and I'd go one further to say that this good is a double edged good, because it makes it all the less likely that they will acknowledge when they HAVE done something wrong.

NF's in my experience are the kings and queens of the following back-handed apologies:

- I'm sorry you feel that way
- I didn't mean to bring it up
- I'm sorry it upset you
- I don't know how I could've acted otherwise

etc... none of which actually acknowledges any fault on their own part except for unintentionally causing your negative emotions, but never, never for your emotion being VALID because what they did was WRONG.

Naturally, I'm talking about when they're behaving badly... which all of us do sometimes. This is what I've come to recognize though as a particular type of behaving badly that's very NF... most of 'em are groovy and cool though, mosta the time.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
The OP makes a degree of sense. In my observations, NFs, moreso than NT, SJ, and SP, are capable of justifying whatever they do, whether the actions are impulsive or premeditated. The strong tendency to trust Feeling coupled with the lack of respect for convention can lead NFs to follow whatever whims please them, and still believe their righteousness to be consistently impeccable.

I thought I did a decent job de-ranting the rant, and stating the potential cause of the problems leading to the ranter's frustration. "This is bad?"

Rationalizing bad behavior is an NF thing? NFs are somehow better at it? Humans rationalize bad behavior. It's theoretically conceivable that an NF with Fi may use morality to do it (although I've never seen anyone do this... perhaps you should give me an example of it). That doesn't in any way raise the stature of this thread above bitter rant. I also hope your own baggage hasn't led you make such vast generalizations, or so-called tenedncies that embrace INFPs, ENFPs, INFJs, and ENFJs.

(I've got an orch. rehearsal, so it'll be ~3 hrs. before I can respond to any response you care to give.)

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I've found a solution to this, substitute -

Never apologize! :smile:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Rationalizing bad behavior is an NF thing? NFs are somehow better at it? Humans rationalize bad behavior. It's theoretically conceivable that an NF with Fi may use morality to do it (although I've never seen anyone do this... perhaps you should give me an example of it).
1. Everything I've posted (or will post) in this thread has been generalization with consideration to both groups of people and tendencies. I'm often misunderstood as saying things "are..." as opposed to saying things "often tend to be..." It's the latter.

2. It is also primarily detached, abstract analysis in the INTP style. The analysis is its own goal. I might as well be discussing a mental creation as actual people.

3. I would say NFs have less of a need to rationalize than others. To use function terminology, their dominant judging function is Feeling, so if something strikes the NF as right, it will likely forever be considered to be right. There is less of a felt need to make excuses for actions. SFs tend to be less influenced by the concept of chasing ideals, and therefore show dissimilar inclination here.

4. I will invent an example: an ENFP has plans to do something with a person. They then find out their favorite band is playing the same day, cancel the plans, and feel no guilt. They have followed their heart, and feel justified in doing so, which leads to...

5. All types can demonstrate behavior similar to this. As stated earlier, it is the method of justification which is somewhat unique.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Really? I didn't think all NFs were like that, maybe it's just a few you know? Who knows..but I thought I had my priorities in order, being an F? maybe that's values..is there a difference between values and priorities? Maybe a difference between T and F? now I'm confused, I'll leave it at that :)

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
MBTI rants are hilarious because they idiotically typecast huge numbers of people who loosely identify with an unscientific personality theory with little bearing the the real world.

It's not NF's you don't like, it's people who are selfish and egotistical or who otherwise suck that you don't like. I bet what you described sums up like three or four people you'ver met who you loosely hypothesize as NF's.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Really? I didn't think all NFs were like that.
:doh: I'm actually frustrated now, and that's fairly rare. *bestows some kind of award to OneWithSoul*

Add: IF the post was directed at my post.

Add to Add: Apparently, it wasn't, so everything is fine (in Heaven).

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
MBTI rants are hilarious because they idiotically typecast huge numbers of people who loosely identify with an unscientific personality theory with little bearing the the real world.

It's not NF's you don't like, it's people who are selfish and egotistical or who otherwise suck that you don't like. I bet what you described sums up like three or four people you'ver met who you loosely hypothesize as NF's.

God, that was SO INFP :rofl1:

No, no it really was... heheh... "we are all individuals, you can't pigeonhole people... everyone's unique..."

*puts on Te jackboots and squishes the INFP like an ant mwuahahahahahaha*

Lizzy1813

MBTI Type
ENFP
God, that was SO INFP :rofl1:

No, no it really was... heheh... "we are all individuals, you can't pigeonhole people... everyone's unique..."

*puts on Te jackboots and squishes the INFP like an ant mwuahahahahahaha*

That last part was a real argument clincher. :dry: