User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by lostlanguage View Post
    witty
    Hahaha! Come on, have some humour. INFP's can be self depreciatingly humourous non?

Or did you actually get a little butthurt at that?

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I didn't mean to make people mad with this question or anything. I just wanted to hear what people honestly think when it comes to these issues.
    It seems like even the attempt to rationalize some of this stuff is revealing. I also have these kinds of battles in my head. "There must be a reason society is the way it is; surely it isn't just to make people suffer for reason." But even when I'm reading answers by people, some of it feels like rationalization, all of it adheres to the logical fallacy that if it's what people believe, it must be true, or it must be to the best. I feel that really robs people of the opportunity to look beyond what can be bought, sold, evaluated, or transacted in some kind of ego boost economy.
    I think you're selling us short. It somewhat insulting for you to label our responses as "rationalizing" because we take a stab at understanding views different from our own, or because we don't automatically deem all aspects of society as something evil to be resisted. I don't see anyone saying the bolded at all; it seems more like you're addressing a strawman now because we didn't say what you wanted nor did we take on the opposing position either. It's easier to lump us in with the "evil other" than to really understand, isn't it?

Being able to understand WHY does not mean we have not questioned & considered these things any less deeply than you have, nor does it mean we accept, condone, or adhere to all of these things as "true" or "the best". It possibly means we have broadened our perspectives as to what these things do mean, what they can mean, and more importantly, how we can navigate them without losing integrity.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

... It seems to me like, us INFPs are usually going against the grain, society-wise.

Every day, whether it's at school, at work, in the family, or just on the street, there are all these messages being hurled at us (well, not just us, everyone).

-You have to look good
    -It is important to be loud and attract admiration
    -Social conventions are the basis of society
    -It is more important to be assertive and in control than nice
    -Being rich is better than being poor, spiritually and for the betterment of oneself
    -It is stupid to consider other people
    -Imagining things is dumb unless it makes you money
    -It's better to be well-loved than sincere

.... and all this other stuff!!!!

And other than the first one (let's face it INFPs, we look damn good) almost all of that just feels like chewing nails, all day, every day. I know I'm not the only one on here who would rather unplug from society sometimes and live free.

So what do we need to tell ourselves? That is my question!

Like some kind of antidote, to all the messages above.

I would love if others started adding to this list (as I will) because sometimes I just need to remember that there are other values that matter than what "society" values (which most people wouldn't value at all, if they weren't so damn scared!)

That is all
    Are you just pissed off at someone who is successful? None of this thread makes any sense to me!
    It kind of seems like you want all this prestige but don't want to do anything for it. And then when it isn't handed to you, it must be because you're INFP. INFP is a type...not an excuse!
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

It's really unfortunate that this thread is generating so much negative emotion. Maybe it's time to end the discussion.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

It's just a discussion where people have different views on the matter, don't worry about it too much.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

...and to contribute:

I like to tell myself that it's easier to beat people at their own game when you are looking at it from an outside perspective. Being aware of what you are doing and why you are doing it, and what others are doing to you, does not necessarily make for a happy existence, but it's interesting at least.