User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    I???
    Enneagram
    huh sp/so

Default INFJs mistyping as NTs?

I was wondering if this is a common occurrence? After over a year of thinking of myself as an INTP, I'm starting to wonder if I might actually be an INFJ. The funny thing is, the first type I ever tested as was INFJ, and learning more about F/T and J/P led me to INTP. Thinking more about the cognitive functions, however, is leading me back where I started.

So, to you INFJs: have you ever mistyped as a rational? I'm often confused by my own feelings, but I'm capable of with other people's emotions. Is it more likely to be a kind, considerate INTP with strong Fe, or a somewhat jaded, sarcastic INFJ with strong Ti?

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I always knew myself to be INFJ, but was mistaken for an INTP on occasion because of my heavy use of Ti, & rationalistic armor/dry sense of humor. Mostly NF's would mistake me as not one of their own; NT's seem more able to call me out on the fact that my motivations are obviously emotionally driven, not logically. So I'd say while I haven't found it terribly common, it is quite possible for us to mimic ixtp types. Admittedly I fall short of the istp badass I wish I could be, haha.

I'm not sure what your case is, the confusion about your feelings still sounds reminiscent of an INTP- your feelings tend to creep up on you guys, I've noticed.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    I???
    Enneagram
    huh sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I always knew myself to be INFJ, but was mistaken for an INTP on occasion because of my heavy use of Ti, & rationalistic armor/dry sense of humor. Mostly NF's would mistake me as not one of their own; NT's seem more able to call me out on the fact that my motivations are obviously emotionally driven, not logically. So I'd say while I haven't found it terribly common, it is quite possible for us to mimic ixtp types. Admittedly I fall short of the istp badass I wish I could be, haha.

I'm not sure what your case is, the confusion about your feelings still sounds reminiscent of an INTP- your feelings tend to creep up on you guys, I've noticed.
    Having my feelings "creep up on me" is kind of what it's like...when I'm upset, I either try to avoid it by distracting myself, or everything sort of explodes and I feel ashamed of myself for freaking out about my own problems when other people in my life have had way more difficult things to deal with (which, of course, makes me even more upset). And I also tend to feel more angry or hurt or defensive when someone has treated the people I care about poorly. People who can't properly utilize their Fe (or emotional common sense?) around the people I care about drive me up the wall.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kissmyasthma View Post
    Having my feelings "creep up on me" is kind of what it's like...when I'm upset, I either try to avoid it by distracting myself, or everything sort of explodes and I feel ashamed of myself for freaking out about my own problems when other people in my life have had way more difficult things to deal with (which, of course, makes me even more upset). And I also tend to feel more angry or hurt or defensive when someone has treated the people I care about poorly. People who can't properly utilize their Fe (or emotional common sense?) around the people I care about drive me up the wall.
    Yeah, that's definitely Fe use, but I couldn't pinpoint whether or not it'd be auxilary Fe or just a strong baby Fe.
    You remind me a lot of my RL INTP friend, based on your description, in some ways. She'll get overwhelmed out of nowhere, and apologize for her own feelings, and compare her situation to try to, separate herself, almost. Trying to reel the vulnerability back in. Usually I try to talk things out with her, and take things apart, walk backwards through Ti, so to speak, to get her feet on the ground again.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I have read that INFJs are the most "T" of the NFs, assuming Ti to be the purest form of T (and, reciprocally, INTJs to be the most "F" of the NTs).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I don't think it's that uncommon for INFJs to think they're NTs. I’ve seen a number of examples of this on the typology sites in general (and I was one myself for a bit). There’s also a couple INTJs on this site who I swear are INFJs.

One thing to consider is how much you’re interested in people. I mean either simply figuring people out, or in helping others out. Also, consider how many times you enter a room and get a feel for the emotions in the room, and the relationships of the people in the room to each other and to yourself. These are things that INFJs do all the time. I don’t know any INTPs, but my Ti-dom brother (ISTP) is definitely less interested in these things than I am. For me, it’s like automatic to do this.

Since both INTPs and INFJs have Fe and Ti, another thing that may help you is to focus on the differences between Ne/Ni and Se/Si, since INTPS have Ne and Si while INFJs have Ni and Se.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

MBTI
    I???
    Enneagram
    huh sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleFighter View Post
    One thing to consider is how much you’re interested in people. I mean either simply figuring people out, or in helping others out. Also, consider how many times you enter a room and get a feel for the emotions in the room, and the relationships of the people in the room to each other and to yourself. These are things that INFJs do all the time. I don’t know any INTPs, but my Ti-dom brother (ISTP) is definitely less interested in these things than I am. For me, it’s like automatic to do this.
    Well as far as helping others, starting when I was really young my mom started seeking me out for advice, and I was seen as "the nice kid" because I'd stick up for people who were being bullied/gossiped about, so I sort of relate to INFJ descriptions about being "champion of the underdog" and sort of counseling others, but I don't know if I can honestly say the latter was something I enjoyed. I've shied away from a lot of that because it involved a lot of stress. And some of the people I stood up for ended up treating me badly, in the end.

As for entering a room and noticing the dynamics, that sounds like what I do. I notice who's pairing off, who interacts comfortably with who, and I'm ultra aware of who's being left out. More often than not I feel like an observer.

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleFighter View Post
    Since both INTPs and INFJs have Fe and Ti, another thing that may help you is to focus on the differences between Ne/Ni and Se/Si, since INTPS have Ne and Si while INFJs have Ni and Se.
    That's actually been one of my biggest stumbling blocks, because I can't seem to find good descriptions of Ni? I don't relate to the sort of "psychic" vibe the function seems to imply...but the only times I can fully utilize the Ne "brainstorming" seems to be when I'm worrying about all the things that can go wrong in a situation.
    I understand how Ne is supposed to be like brainstorming, so as an analogy...if Ne use is like being faced with a problem or question and then coming up with all sorts of answers and ideas as a response that jump off one another, then is Ni use like seeing one clear answer relatively quickly, and then pulling things from outside in to further develop it?

MBTI
    I???
    Enneagram
    huh sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    You remind me a lot of my RL INTP friend, based on your description, in some ways. She'll get overwhelmed out of nowhere, and apologize for her own feelings, and compare her situation to try to, separate herself, almost. Trying to reel the vulnerability back in. Usually I try to talk things out with her, and take things apart, walk backwards through Ti, so to speak, to get her feet on the ground again.
    Well, I avoid crying in front of other people altogether, so I haven't been in many situations where a friend talked me through my own feelings...I don't want to let them see that side of me. I don't mind being a shoulder to cry on, but the idea of going to someone else to cry on their shoulder, or even unintentionally losing it around them, is kind of terrifying to me. It's been impossible to avoid crying around my immediate family, but even then I prefer to be alone. Whenever I do talk about my doubts, insecurities, etc. I usually use sarcasm as a shield, or joke about it, or use a sort of frank deadpan to disguise how upset it might make me.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I have read that INFJs are the most "T" of the NFs, assuming Ti to be the purest form of T (and, reciprocally, INTJs to be the most "F" of the NTs).
    I agree.
    But OP, reading your posts you don't seem INFJ to me. You're probably still developing your personality. INTPs can feel the way you're feeling now. As I already wrote somewhere, my INTP friend is one of the warmest people I know.

On a side note I often see INFJs mistyped as ENTPs.

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Absolutely agree on this, based on my observations.

INFJs = thinky-feelers
    INTJs = e-mo thinkers

As a guess, it has to do with how tertiary functions come across, particularly when not developed at all. Even well-developed terts are used differently than dom or auxes since tert resides in the unconscious mind, where dom and aux, the conscious mind.

Take ENTPs vs. INTPs. ENTPs are far more emotional and dramatic than INTPs. Take ENTJs. We come across more sensory due to our tertiary Se.