123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    XXXX

Default Quirky INFP [Mainly for INFPs]

I've heard there's this characteristic quirkiness to infps around people that I've noticed people cite consistently in profiles and even in these forums. I, as an INFP guy, cannot relate to this concept at all in public. I confide in the idea that I have a big tendency to give into less facial expression and verbal expression, even to a point of monotonous voice.

When I'm around people I think this is due to their presence draining my energy. This I mean, are big extroverted groups of people who all go along like PB and J. Would other INFPs relate to this, or do I need to reconsider my type again?
    I'm a INFP - The sociopath

I think I'm either a 4w5, 4w3, 6w5 or 9w1. Most possibly 4w5.

Feeling FiNe

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

The weird-factor is kinda essential for INFP. You might not feel like you're particularly odd yourself, but by now you should have been on the receiving end of the perplexed looks, smirks/teasing and glares of annoyance, that comes with saying and doing out of place things. Fi original thinking plus Ne mental leaps makes for a lot of quirkiness and unconventional thought, and typically people aren't shy about pointing out just how abnormal it is. An INFP learns pretty quickly, that what makes perfect sense to them, is wacky and incomprehensible to others.

Poor communication skills and less consciousness and control over facial expression is also a rather Fi quality, I believe (or is it more generally Ji? I can't remember ). However, this isn't what people typically find strange in and of itself; a perceived incongruence between that demeanour and the content communicated will have more a quirky effect. Maybe, you are a ISFP instead.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    An INFP learns pretty quickly, that what makes perfect sense to them, is wacky and incomprehensible to others.
    That's possibly why I learnt not to speak at all in most situations - so I guess most people found me quite boring, but I can't be sure. Well, it's something I've been dealing with, and I'm learning what I should or shouldn't speak in most situations, and it's getting easier. Maybe the OP feels something like that?

Still, when I'm around a few close friends, parents and specially my INTP SO, I get quite random and quirky - and my SO accompanies me in that, so it's a lot more fun. :3

I would say that, yes, people think I'm quirky. I can show myself in strange ways, and I can't perceive it myself. It's friends and relatives that say to me about my "strange" stuff, some facial expressions, demeanour etc that I can't even notice. I keep to myself, but like it a lot, btw!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

You might not feel like you're particularly odd yourself, but by now you should have been on the receiving end of the perplexed looks, smirks/teasing and glares of annoyance, that comes with saying and doing out of place things. Fi original thinking plus Ne mental leaps makes for a lot of quirkiness and unconventional thought, and typically people aren't shy about pointing out just how abnormal it is. An INFP learns pretty quickly, that what makes perfect sense to them, is wacky and incomprehensible to others.

Poor communication skills and less consciousness and control over facial expression is also a rather Fi quality, I believe (or is it more generally Ji? I can't remember ). However, this isn't what people typically find strange in and of itself; a perceived incongruence between that demeanour and the content communicated will have more a quirky effect. Maybe, you are a ISFP instead.
    I agree with this... I don't experience myself as odd (except for social awkwardness), but I see in other's faces & attitudes towards me that they see me this way. It's not the overt, loud quirkiness of the ENFP though; we're not putting on shows to entertain. It's just that people peg us as "different" somehow. I've spent time being very confused over what it is about me that just doesn't quite fit...

With age, it's increasingly something I am admired for, which feels great! The sense of alienation has been eased. Growing up, I did feel ostracized slightly. I was never bullied, but I was definitely kept out of cliques, and as a loner, I was not interested in fighting my way in. I still see some people put-off by my oddness though, or they find my awkwardness too nerdy & are contemptuous of me.

However, ISFPs are often seen as odd too. My ISFP step-dad & another ISFP guy I know are considered "different" by people. It is perhaps when they are artists this is most true, and they are both artists.... plus they are both male. I know some female ISFPs who get the "odd" tag a lot less.

I suspect a LOT of ISFJs mistype as INFPs though (especially when the ISFJs are 9s), and I think quirkiness is less common, although I see some social awkwardness in many.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by flameskull95 View Post
    I've heard there's this characteristic quirkiness to infps around people that I've noticed people cite consistently in profiles and even in these forums. I, as an INFP guy, cannot relate to this concept at all in public. I confide in the idea that I have a big tendency to give into less facial expression and verbal expression, even to a point of monotonous voice.

When I'm around people I think this is due to their presence draining my energy. This I mean, are big extroverted groups of people who all go along like PB and J. Would other INFPs relate to this, or do I need to reconsider my type again?
    If an INFP tries to approach a big extroverted group of people that he doesn't know very well, then he's probably going to shut down and be unable to interact with them. That sort of situation is about the most difficult for younger INFPs. In fact it's difficult for pretty much any personality type. It takes practice to jump into an unknown crowd and start interacting with them.

On the other hand, if an INFP is in a setting where he feels comfortable (that is, with friends, with family, with well-known co-workers), then then the INFP may feel free to be himself and even clown a bit. INFPs interact with the world via Ne, which is a brainstorming function. It can result in INFPs being whimsical and even a bit silly when they are with friends.

Anyway, I’m not exactly sure what you mean by INFPs being “quirky.” In the first situation that I mentioned, INFPs might be “quirky” in the sense that they remain silent and detached from the group. In the second situation, they might be quirky in the sense that they turn on their Ne and start acting a little goofy or whimsical in the company of familiar people.

In any case, a lot depends on the environment and the setting. A loud, public social setting is difficult for anyone, and especially for hard-core introverted INFPs. By comparison, a warm intimate setting with friends will bring out a whole different side of INFPs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

When I'm around people I think this is due to their presence draining my energy. This I mean, are big extroverted groups of people who all go along like PB and J.
    Would other INFPs relate to this, or do I need to reconsider my type again?
    As a male INFP, I can say that I relate to alot of those feelings you have. When dealing with people in public or people that I'am not comfortable with I have a very bland expression and definitely the monotonous voice to boot! (Either that or I' am just drained of energy.) People have judged my quietness as being "wierd." but they have also pointed out my idiosyncrasies when I've grown more comfortable in expressing myself.
    In public I can only really come off as quirky when I' am with people that I've become used to in expressing that side of me. At my place of study is basically the only place where I' am open in that sense, and only in my interactions with several students who I've known for the past year and a half. When communicating with anyone else, that bland monotonous me comes back again.

If you feel comfortable within the INFP type, I would say you need not reconsider it based on what you've presented alone.
    That characteristic which is described seems to be more behavioral based (which is when enneagram can come in handy.) and is more likely subjected to the level of shyness a particular INFP is experiencing.
    Although I don't as much as I used to I still feel shy, because I feel (as OrangeAppled mentioned) ostracized at times, in those situations I tend to not have that "quirky" side showing. Just plain old weird.

Consider your situation and the people you are around. Do you feel this way only in public? Are the people you interact with making you feel less inclined to express yourself? When you do experience this "quirky" side what kind of enviroment is it in, and is it dependent on your level of comfort as well as energy?
    Last edited by Joehobo; 05-28-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    However, ISFPs are often seen as odd too. My ISFP step-dad & another ISFP guy I know are considered "different" by people. It is perhaps when they are artists this is most true, and they are both artists.... plus they are both male. I know some female ISFPs who get the "odd" tag a lot less...
    Oh yeah, ISFPs can be odd too. I just think they're better at 'passing'...
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    XXXX

The weird-factor is kinda essential for INFP. You might not feel like you're particularly odd yourself, but by now you should have been on the receiving end of the perplexed looks, smirks/teasing and glares of annoyance, that comes with saying and doing out of place things. Fi original thinking plus Ne mental leaps makes for a lot of quirkiness and unconventional thought, and typically people aren't shy about pointing out just how abnormal it is. An INFP learns pretty quickly, that what makes perfect sense to them, is wacky and incomprehensible to others.

Friends during High school have given me 'perplexed looks', like they've look at me like I actually had something terribly unusual with me, when I didn't view it as such. I've gotten poked fun of a lot for randomly/obviously "spacing out" into a vague area/corner. Maybe "QUIRKY" wasn't the word to use... I'd say more "ENTHUSIASTIC" is better to describe what I'm talking about. I'm kinda pessimistic and noticed that I've even tried to or tended to appear "sophisticated" in the face of extroverts like ESFPs and other socialites getting along with their loud conversations. I stick by the monotonous voice and devoid/pessimistic/depressed looking facial expressions/attitudes I garner... can you relate?

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    If an INFP tries to approach a big extroverted group of people that he doesn't know very well, then he's probably going to shut down and be unable to interact with them. That sort of situation is about the most difficult for younger INFPs. In fact it's difficult for pretty much any personality type. It takes practice to jump into an unknown crowd and start interacting with them.

On the other hand, if an INFP is in a setting where he feels comfortable (that is, with friends, with family, with well-known co-workers), then then the INFP may feel free to be himself and even clown a bit. INFPs interact with the world via Ne, which is a brainstorming function. It can result in INFPs being whimsical and even a bit silly when they are with friends.

Anyway, I’m not exactly sure what you mean by INFPs being “quirky.” In the first situation that I mentioned, INFPs might be “quirky” in the sense that they remain silent and detached from the group. In the second situation, they might be quirky in the sense that they turn on their Ne and start acting a little goofy or whimsical in the company of familiar people.

In any case, a lot depends on the environment and the setting. A loud, public social setting is difficult for anyone, and especially for hard-core introverted INFPs. By comparison, a warm intimate setting with friends will bring out a whole different side of INFPs.
    Yeah this is pretty much me. When I'm around people close to me, I tend to do quirky stuff, while I know clean cut INFJs who with close friends have that prophet-like "you can't read me" nature, I've noticed. Whenever I've consciously or unconsciously noticed this, it would give me the tendency to be more "crazy" or "yolo" on their behalf.
    Though then me and the INFJ would see clean cut ESFPs and other ENFPs, I tend to resemble the INFJ, - maybe cause I'm shy that my extroverted-ness would look crappier next to theirs or something. This is the where the distinct quirkiness goes to die, and even when I'm around people I know I can't fully be myself or quirky cause of the sharp feeling that I'm being two-faced (two-faced being totally quirky with the people I know and a total silent prophet around groups).
    I'm a INFP - The sociopath

I think I'm either a 4w5, 4w3, 6w5 or 9w1. Most possibly 4w5.

Feeling FiNe

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    6w5

I, as an INFP guy, cannot relate to this concept at all in public. I confide in the idea that I have a big tendency to give into less facial expression and verbal expression, even to a point of monotonous voice.
    I've known two INFP guys and they are both rather expressionless facially and verbally. Maybe it is to mask their soft underbellies?

I am very expressive, facially, by contrast, haha! I have to consciously become expressionless and assertive when speaking with my INTP boss, whom I think is great but I think he gets confused or distracted by facial cues. He tends to work better with T types and I do my best to impersonate them. (I invariably fail).

I am a bit quirky, but not insane. I make many of my own clothes, which are rather conventional looking, but still. It can be considered quirky to sew your own stuff.