First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by xenaprincess View Post
    I've known two INFP guys and they are both rather expressionless facially and verbally. Maybe it is to mask their soft underbellies?

I am very expressive, facially, by contrast, haha! I have to consciously become expressionless and assertive when speaking with my INTP boss, whom I think is great but I think he gets confused or distracted by facial cues. He tends to work better with T types and I do my best to impersonate them. (I invariably fail).

I am a bit quirky, but not insane. I make many of my own clothes, which are rather conventional looking, but still. It can be considered quirky to sew your own stuff.
    Haha. Thanks for that. But I think you directed it to yourself rather than my problem, - I think that's an INFP thing, because I've noticed I do that too much myself, - it's the individualism. I'm pretty definite that the INFP suit is the only one that can fit when looking at the other types properly even though this suit can be loose at times, so I'm not totally confused, just curious I guess.

And I guess hearing that you have INFP guy friends with emotionless faces is reassuring, and maybe I'm more like a Remus Lupin or Peter Jackson than say... Luna Lovegood. (Who are all INFPs btw). Other than that, I guess I'm monotonous around people only when I'm around groups of people I don't know or am not comfortable with(usually because I don't know them or they're more extroverted making me shy-er in a way I guess), and comfortably quirky and random around friends and family who often have called me weird enough for me to remember.

Any more advice on this topic would be awesome guys, thanks to everyone who posted as well
    I'm a INFP - The sociopath

I think I'm either a 4w5, 4w3, 6w5 or 9w1. Most possibly 4w5.

Feeling FiNe

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by flameskull95 View Post
    Haha. Thanks for that. But I think you directed it to yourself rather than my problem, - I think that's an INFP thing, because I've noticed I do that too much myself, - it's the individualism. I'm pretty definite that the INFP suit is the only one that can fit when looking at the other types properly even though this suit can be loose at times, so I'm not totally confused, just curious I guess.
    well, perhaps I didn't understand your question? Is it about quirkiness or facial expression or something else?

what is quirkiness to you? To some people, it might seem quirky not to have facial expression when interacting with others

I guess you are saying 'I might not be an infp because I am expressionless around people, and infps have been described as quirky, which means being expressive around people'. right?

I don't think quirky = facially expressive at all. You can be awkward and quirky, expressionless and quirky, etc. Quirky to me means standing out in some way, walking to the beat of your own drum. You might wear bowties and knee socks. You might only eat whitefish sandwiches and nothing else. You might live with 5 cats.

Maybe I didn't understand your question?

ps: the INFP men I know are not 'quirky'. They dress and act conventionally.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I always thought sensors were the ones who don't "show their cards" by their "poker face." Yeah, I'm con-FERSED about the question.
    Save Thundercats 2011 petition. Because we do what we can. HO!!!:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/warn...another-season

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I had kind of wondered whether there was a gender difference in (external) "quirkiness" after Nardi's finding that FP men use the T5 neocortex region a lot, but FP women don't. The T5 region has a lot to do with social awareness and responding to negative social feedback. It might make sense that FP males would go for flat affect rather than fake affect or the social inappropriateness.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I had kind of wondered whether there was a gender difference in (external) "quirkiness" after Nardi's finding that FP men use the T5 neocortex region a lot, but FP women don't. The T5 region has a lot to do with social awareness and responding to negative social feedback. It might make sense that FP males would go for flat affect rather than fake affect or the social inappropriateness.
    Haha. NO. WAY.

That connection seems to clarify a lot of stuff. How does it affect responses to negative social feedback? - I'm guessing it's something like FP guys would be a bit more rationally pessimistic/aggressive in some way, because I could relate to that. Anything else that may be connected to guys using the T5 region?

Feeling FiNe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by xenaprincess View Post
    well, perhaps I didn't understand your question? Is it about quirkiness or facial expression or something else?

what is quirkiness to you? To some people, it might seem quirky not to have facial expression when interacting with others

I guess you are saying 'I might not be an infp because I am expressionless around people, and infps have been described as quirky, which means being expressive around people'. right?

I don't think quirky = facially expressive at all. You can be awkward and quirky, expressionless and quirky, etc. Quirky to me means standing out in some way, walking to the beat of your own drum. You might wear bowties and knee socks. You might only eat whitefish sandwiches and nothing else. You might live with 5 cats.

Maybe I didn't understand your question?

ps: the INFP men I know are not 'quirky'. They dress and act conventionally.
    I guess what you're saying is right, but when it comes to external behavior I could easily separate myself as less quirky than the female INFPs I know. But I guess since you're male INFP friends are conventional by appearance, I'm getting pretty confident about my type being INFP. Though, I was pretty confident about my type in the first place, I was just wondering if there was a possibility that maybe this expressionless or monotone appearance was a thing with INFP males. Overall, it seems to fit.

Feeling FiNe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

If by quirky you mean suddenly go into whimsical moods, then yes, I can act that way when I'm in familiar surroundings or with close family/friends. I also tend to have more atypical hobbies/passions. Part of it is the individualistic streak I have.

However, when I'm in a large group with people I'm not close to or strangers, my social mask comes on and I certainly become more non-committal in showing what I really think/feel. It's like being in neutral gear, especially if the topic is not something I have a strong inclination for. Even for things I do care about, if it's controversial and would lead to conflicts, I'd probably keep quiet too. Lack of assertiveness?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    If by quirky you mean suddenly go into whimsical moods, then yes, I can act that way when I'm in familiar surroundings or with close family/friends. I also tend to have more atypical hobbies/passions. Part of it is the individualistic streak I have.

However, when I'm in a large group with people I'm not close to or strangers, my social mask comes on and I certainly become more non-committal in showing what I really think/feel. It's like being in neutral gear, especially if the topic is not something I have a strong inclination for. Even for things I do care about, if it's controversial and would lead to conflicts, I'd probably keep quiet too. Lack of assertiveness?
    Haha. Yeah, I usually act all quirky around the people I know and who are close to me, and what I meant was with people around me when I'm in a extroverted environment I guess.
    I really don't know, I think it's an INFP thing to generate random possibilities so I'm always second guessing my type when I get new information. Especially since I just randomly got to watch Lord of the Rings (INFP author, director and lead character), and thought about how Frodo is an INFP and I can tell he has this aura of innocence and innocent/genuine care and convention surrounding him when he's with the other characters.

It's a bit of a far fetched example, but I feel who I am in general, when I view myself, is much less of that innocence aura, (not to say I can't relate deeply to Frodo). Though, I can be a bit critical and have a stronger tendency to poke fun out of people close to me, almost like I have a reasonable amount of witty/depressing 'T' personality traits lingering about unconsciously. Like I would disrupt a flowing conversation, cause I thought of a witty/random tease/joke even if it offended the other person (this usually always happens with people close to me rather than people I'm not comfortable with). It's petty but I can't help it for some reason, it's just to further relax/lighten the situation I guess. But I can tell if people take it offend, and hate myself for that and try to apologize or at least stop.

I hate me for being this way, and got to cut down on that shit. Oh yeah and I can cuss a lot to normalize conversations, destroying that thing with Frodo's personality where he's kinda innocent to a point where he doesn't even swear. Where it seems as though he wouldn't because he doesn't want it to genuinely offend anyone. Practically what I'm saying is that, I can tease things more internally, I can even tease Frodo for being justifying it as a fallacy and that the world would eat him alive for being like that . It's like I tease once I see when things are out of place, even if it disrupts the peace/convention of it all; it's like a carefree tendency.

Though evidence that supports my INFPness would be that I have an extreme dislike for criticism/conflict (unless targeted somehow), second-guessed myself and
    have been called 'innocent' by a lot of people growing up due to eschewing coarse forms of expression. Maybe cause I eschew this expression is why I "let loose" when people I'm comfortable with come by.

I feel ashamed of myself.

Feeling FiNe

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by flameskull95 View Post
    Haha. Yeah, I usually act all quirky around the people I know and who are close to me, and what I meant was with people around me when I'm in a extroverted environment I guess. [...]
    Good post!

Yeah, you sound very INFP. Especially the parts about disrupting the flow of conversation with random jokes or with cussing for effect. That’s a facet of Ne at work--the whimsical or silly side that can come out with close friends.

And as you’ve noticed, not everyone appreciates Ne. Ne is a great social function, providing you with mental nimbleness and flexibility, but it can come across as goofy or disruptive if you overuse it. With time and practice, you’ll learn how to ration it better and and serve it up in small doses at appropriate times.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    XXXX

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Good post!

Yeah, you sound very INFP. Especially the parts about disrupting the flow of conversation with random jokes or with cussing for effect. That’s a facet of Ne at work--the whimsical or silly side that can come out with close friends.

And as you’ve noticed, not everyone appreciates Ne. Ne is a great social function, providing you with mental nimbleness and flexibility, but it can come across as goofy or disruptive if you overuse it. With time and practice, you’ll learn how to ration it better and and serve it up in small doses at appropriate times.
    AWESOME POST! . Maybe I just needed my own little validation as well, cause I just lit up when you commented about Ne, and that I sound INFP. Thanks for that.

And that 'Goofy' 'Disruptive' thing can be what usually furthers me emotionally from some people, and that can really be a bummer, so yeah good advice everywhere, I should totally use it in small doses.

Where are all these extremely nice INFPs in society?

Feeling FiNe