12 Last

Thread: NFs and Art

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Question NFs and Art

I know the SPs are usually the ones associated to artistry, but I find it unfair. I am an NF and am very involved in painting, writing and music. And the inspiration and motivation definitely come from intuitive feeling.
    I also find that SP art is often about performance and style, and devoid of philosophical or symbolic depth.
    Are there any NF artists around here and what are your impressions on art ?

A link to my art page: KetsiaLessard on deviantART

MBTI
    infp

Interesting point about the differences between NF and SP art in theory. I agree that, at least in theory, SP art would be more about the style of it all, the trend, the current trend, and where it can go. It would likely be about the "scene". NF art, is, in theory, about representation (not neccesarily the same as symbolism though). Really, it's obscure and hard to discuss this, especially considering it's all theory, and only theory. I think in reality they would be fairly similar...

The one thing that is certainly true is that NF's make a lot of art and are very interested/concerned with it as well. Maybe even more so (you don't hear of too many ESTP's or ISTP's who are artists)

MBTI
    ENFJ

I may not exactly be an NF, but I'm an artist too... sort of.

Mostly I write, but I do draw a lot, too. It's all connected. It's just trying to splatter the ideas I have down in my head, usually the personification of amorphous ideas. The slope of somebody's shoulders is an integral part of what the person is in the drawing, and it's an attempt to get that across -- or something. I don't know why, and I'd rather leave the reason why without words. There are reasons to what I write and draw, but words ruin the meaning, they always do, no matter whose work it is.

What about SJ art? Are there any SJ artists around, too?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    What about SJ art? Are there any SJ artists around, too?
    I know this ISFJ lady and she paints and has great artistic taste. But I dare say SJs need to be introverted and probably F to care about art at all. Art is too abstract, dreamy and useless to an SJ. They can appreciate it, but rarely create it.
    My mother is an ESTJ and she struggles with finding my artistry "useful." She definitely thinks I'm wasting my time and claims haut et fort that washing the dishes is far more important.

I realise that capturing a person's face or feeling is what I'm best at (I love painting portraits and declaring something universally soulful or human through it). I have no patience with teachers who encourage me to work up an eccentric style while they overlook the deep meaning of a painting or a text.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

The typical SP artwork is a more faithful descriptive depiction of the subject... where as the N artwork is a lot more about what's imagined, often aiming to expose the subject from an unexpected perspective.

Ni artwork frequently utilizes symbolism.
    Ne artwork, juxtaposition of different ideas
    Se artwork, pure expression from the senses
    Si artwork, (this one I have to guess) captures a moment...

Difference between Se (SP) vs Si (SJ) is one is created to express, the other is created to record.

MBTI
    infp

I can see a lot of Se's doing "abstract" stuff because it simply looks cool visually. For example, Claude Monet strikes me as ISFP but he doesn't paint in a literal sense. It also depends a lot on what period of art...

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

I'm going to school to be a graphic designer, and I am an INTJ... gasp.
    The only thing I don't like about it is the people part.
    But that is really manageable for me when I consider how much I enjoy the design.

I don't think personality type has too big of an influence on artistic desire or skill.

Although I do have to admit I prefer structured designs, and modern furniture heh.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    fuck

I would love to be an artist. I make alot of collages. If I could go back to the day I graduated high school, I'd go to art school.

PS - I'm curious. Have you sold any art on deviantart?
    There's reason to be afraid, and reason to open your heart. ~ Seal

Refreshment for your ears: www.kexp.org

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by anii View Post
    PS - I'm curious. Have you sold any art on deviantart?
    No, I have never sold my art and don't really want to. I rather give it away to the model or to a person to whom it means something.
    Some artists add "Painting for sale, contact ..." with the art's description on deviantArt. It probably works.

MBTI
    ENFJ

The drive to create art is a very human one, but some types may be more inclined than others -- STJs might not be so interested unless they see a 'purpose' for it, for example.

One thing that I could definitely see is that J art (because of Ni and Si) would generally be more orderly and focused on a narrower subject to say something specific, while P art would be more chaotic (because of Ne and Se) and be more inclined to 'look cool' in an aesthetic sense, whether it be literally to the senses or to the mind's eye.

All types could make art, it's just that some wouldn't see the use to it and therefore would be less inclined to try and get good at it.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge