• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ vs. INFJ

ecolli

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
As an INFJ female, I have never come across a male INFJ among my friends, let alone in a romantic setting. Back in December, a friend introduced me to one of her friends, told me we were very similar and would get along great. Well, lo and behold, she was correct. We have similar interests, same sense of humor, etc. - all of the basic foundations for a friendship/relationship. We both established we liked each other, but wanted to take things slowly.

Now, almost six months into this "friendship", we are still not an official couple. We have established an exclusive physical relationship, which, I am content with as long as I know we are working toward the same goal. We have discussed this several times: both of us want a relationship, but he has been screwed over so many times and he wants to get his own life in order before he puts forth the commitment. Basically, we're both looking for long-term relationships, but the distance (which is an hour drive) is taking a toll on us, especially when you take into consideration that he lost his job (recently) and his car broke down right around when we met.

So now that I've given you all a basic background, this is what the main issue is: we can't seem to open up emotionally to each other. While we have a great time together, it's only on surface levels. We both know that we're intellectual, but he is not used being around someone who is intellectually equal to him, thus he has never really "had" to open up to anyone around him. Whereas with me, I have had my shared handful of people that I have been able to open up to completely. We're both shy, but I'm definitely more forward than him and I will openly ask questions. We're completely honest with each other, but it is like pulling teeth to get an deep conversation out of him. Is this because we're so similar, is it trust issues? I don't know and I'm hoping this community will be able to help me figure out a way to overcome some INFJ/INFJ relationship boundary problems.

redacted

Is this because we're so similar, is it trust issues? I don't know and I'm hoping this community will be able to help me figure out a way to overcome some INFJ/INFJ relationship boundary problems.

Trust issues.

I find interacting with other INFJs pretty awkward generally, because I tend to take the burden of moving the conversation. That being said, asking a lot of questions (and following up) seems to work fairly well.