• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] FPs and being surprised by others who share the same feelings as you

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to have a tendency to think things like
- "no one would share my interests in _____"
- "no one feels the same way as I do about that"
- "no one else would feel that way"
- "no one was going to stand up for that guy if I didn't"

then one day at around 14 I decided "fuck it" and became much more open about my interests. to my surprise, I found that their were a number of people who could relate to my interests and feelings on things. it never occurred to me that there were actually other people out their with whom I shared emotional emotional ground and preferences

do any other FPs relate to this. I'm pretty sure it has to do with Fi

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I think I felt the same way when I 'opened up' at 17. But then I felt threatened because I didn't feel special anymore :ninja:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I realized this when I discovered the Internet, the glorious Internet.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, and I felt a massive alienation from others. Most of this feeling was rooted in reality; it was confirmed by invalidation from others, being made to feel like some voice of dissent or like a weirdo because I didn't go along with the consensus, and finding many people just plain didn't know what I was talking about (both with interests & feelings).

It was surprising to find people who feel similar to me, and it continues to be surprising, because they are not the majority. However, I find it increasingly easier to relate to other people, even when we have little in common. I've taken to stripping away the surface stuff about people & seeing what is there about them that is just human.

I see this weird mix in INFP forums all the time. They all mostly have this sense of alienation, and it IS rooted in reality, and yet someone of another type could show up & claim to be INFP & relate their feelings & most of them would say, "I can relate!".

Joehobo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can relate to these posts. What the OP brough up are reasons why I felt so apart and couldn't understand people untill I was 16-17.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty much this, especially concerning interests.

Although the feelings of shame haven't gone away...

for me it was more paranoia. "people are gonna see me as weak if they know my real self"

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I used to have a tendency to think things like
- "no one would share my interests in _____"
- "no one feels the same way as I do about that"
- "no one else would feel that way"
- "no one was going to stand up for that guy if I didn't"

then one day at around 14 I decided "fuck it" and became much more open about my interests. to my surprise, I found that their were a number of people who could relate to my interests and feelings on things. it never occurred to me that there were actually other people out their with whom I shared emotional emotional ground and preferences

do any other FPs relate to this. I'm pretty sure it has to do with Fi

Growing up, I had the opposite problem. I expected that others would share my interests and feelings about things, then I'd be disappointed in them if they didn't. I didn't realize my own uniqueness at the time. After awhile of being ridiculed and having my feelings invalidated, I started keeping alot about myself inside. The internet feels like a safer place to open up than the real world. I know I find someone to relate to about certain things online. I

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I see this weird mix in INFP forums all the time. They all mostly have this sense of alienation, and it IS rooted in reality, and yet someone of another type could show up & claim to be INFP & relate their feelings & most of them would say, "I can relate!".
Sort of INFP community solipsism?

I can't say it's been an issue for me. I've had my moments of feeling different (partly as a result of being constantly told I WAS different as a child) but it really doesn't feel like a fundamental part of who I am. On the whole, I identify and empathize with people pretty easily and don't find it hard to discover things I have in common with them. I have some niche interests, but I've always been pretty lucky in finding people who shared them.

This might partly be a 4 vs. 9 thing ... or maybe a non-9 thing. I don't think it's isolation that makes me feel misunderstood; it's a lack of recognition and appreciation. I like flying under the radar most of the time but I hate being chronically overlooked because I'm quiet and accommodating and have to push back against that.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sort of INFP community solipsism?

Not at all.... it's quite the opposite. They find it easy to imagine others' feelings so vividly that they can take them on as their own. More like INFP community empathy for foreign feelings.