First 4567 Last

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Despite being an eternal optomist and idealist i am also able to see how fucked up and discriminatory the world is and how that impacts unfairly on individuals. I gets a strong identity probably more in line with the general empathy of the worlds sufferings but feel it strongly with individuals, maybe like vibrations travelling from a macrocosm to a micro (micro being the feelings of an individual). I havn't thought it through, that just seemed to make sense in my head. And no, i'm not a fucking hippie.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Alright alright I think I hear ya... She' s just being closed minded about it?

I know a lot of people judge others in this way. I just don't...

I do wonder why people enjoy watching sick and disturbing things tho...that's more concerning to me than someone unwilling to give something a chance.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    Why is it immature to only read or watch things you like?

The point should be about enjoyment... Right?
    Why bother if you don't feel emotionally or intellectually stimulated in a way you enjoy?
    To challenge yourself? To grow. As long as it isn't emotionally/mentally harmful to you of course

Psychologically enjoying an experience is highly correlated to being exposed to it. Like a song on the radio that you may at first hate but later grows on you
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I need more incentive than "it's good to experience different things." I agree with the idea, but for me, I've seen and experienced just about all I care to.
    Maybe it's my age or my personality or both, but I still want to read about and watch things about people I don't understand. I don't know what happened, but when I was in college, I wanted to start challenging my values, even. I remember writing a paper for one of my classes empathizing with why people in the South choose to be conservative Republicans, though on the surface they seem to represent something that would offend my values, I actually went into depth about the fear of government taking land away from families, as they did in the Appalachians during the 1940's, as well as their culture being challenged. People like their culture and where they come from, and change can represent a threat to their way of life, etc.

I think I've always been this way, though. I read The Stranger more than once, because I wanted to grasp a perfectly amoral person. One of the reasons why I spend so much time on-line arguing with people, too, is that I'm fascinated by the range of people (but then I get annoyed if I see too many of the same "type" - not personality type, but type with that perspective or belief system - and ascertain that what they're saying doesn't have that much depth or solid intellectual defense).

Anyway, when it comes to people who are labelled "sick" or "twisted" I think I would be deficient of proper understanding or empathy myself if I didn't at least try to understand their perspective. This doesn't mean that I don't still think that Ted Bundy should have gotten the death penalty, but it does mean I want to try to understand people like him, and various other people who I cannot relate to.

I want to see what is human about all people, and try to see what their rationale is, even if I utterly disagree with it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post

I do wonder why people enjoy watching sick and disturbing things tho...that's more concerning to me than someone unwilling to give something a chance.
    It's concerning when people watch it all the time, and that's all they watch, and they seem to get some kind of glee out of watching people being tortured or what have you.

But watching it at all isn't a sign of anything, really. Even the old fairy tales and old religious texts in the Bible contain things like vengeance, violence, incest, etc. People have frankly always been people, and the "darker" side of humanity is a part of who we are, and you can't really understand humanity if you don't try to understand all of it.

Viewing something through our own value system and time period isn't always the way to judge an event or a movement or a work of art.

The girl I'm mentioning is a very intelligent, very educated IxFJ. She's totally Fe and types herself as INFJ. I don't know if she's INFJ or she's actually an ISFJ who feels threatened by new data that challenges what she feels comfortable with aesthetically.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Ughhhh I just responded and lost it somehow.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

See how you feel in another 25 years, Marm, especially if you spend that time hard at it. :-) You might be ready to sit back and take her easy for a decade, too.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Anyway... This will be shorter but I don't just watch comedies haha

I often watch movies or documentaries that devestate or disturb me in some way. I enjoy learning about others experiences even if it breaks my heart..

I can get into psychological thrillers or suspense if it's well written and complex and I can become emotionally invested in the characters but if it's torture an disgustingness the whole time. I'll go do something else.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Horror movies aren't real. The only thing that really scares me is stuff that's realistic like Zodiac. But even then I'm not so scared I can't watch it, it's just that the Zodiac killer was real, for example.

Still one of my favorite films.
    ...I wasn't disagreeing with you, Marm. I was describing my subjective experience, since, despite having some rusty cogs in my noggin, I'm aware that Janet Leigh wasn't really stabbed to death in a shower.

Psychological horror can be just as upsetting, though...

It makes you uncomfortable to analyze someone else's work? Why?
    I'm still not sure. Maybe I sort of think that dissecating a work of art is like making a negative judgment about it? Or maybe I worry that my interests might be shallow and stupid, deep down, which makes me a shallow and stupid person?

...It's complicated, okay? And convoluted, like many neuroses.

No first she was like "well maybe I see love more like Jane Eyre and you see it more like Wuthering Heights, but I think Cathy and Heathcliff's relationship is unhealthy so I don't even want to read it."

And inwardly I'm thinking, "you stupid child, you only read books you can relate to? And are you passive-aggressively insulting me you twat?" Instead I said, "there's more to Wuthering Heights than Cathy and Heathcliff's relationship, and you'll never know that unless you read it."

Then she made some excuse about how she only likes to read certain books that she likes. It's fucking ghey. She's about 30 years old and went to grad school. I think she should grow the fuck up.

We're not really acquainted anymore. Not because of that, though.
    Yeah, I got it. Do you suppose she thought of you as a cynic? :/

Mind you, I find it ironic for someone to talk about being mature and call things "gay" in the same breath. No offense intended, Marm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I think I get what you're saying, Marm, about someone who rejects without examining. Maybe it's like my friend from Eritrea who took me to a restaurant serving her native food, which is eaten communally, with the fingers. She was so pleased that I would go there with her. She said other people said No Way as soon as she told them they would not be eating with a knife and fork. I do scorn a provincial mind.
    Heh, I think I would actually refuse to go to the restaurant as well. I hate eating food with my hands.
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

@Viridian I said "ghey" not gay. There are subjective perceptions of maturity. Mine may be different from yours. I was told today that reporting people is more mature than fighting ones own battles. I disagree. I have to look at it as pragmatic for staying on the forum though, because Im not feeling the subjective maturity argument.