User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post
    I have never met so many rude, annoying, racist and close-minded people in one place. A looot of issues regarding their inferiority complex to Americans (hiding behind their fake superiority).

EDIT: Just remembered all the jokes about the brits preparing for the Olympics and warning everybody in the UK how touchy the Canadians are, so not to mistake them for Americans. Canadians took offence (of course . Funny people.

@Mane
    Pretty spot on

This is Fi-Te land. Oversensitive Fi backed by brutish, immature Te.

On topic: People have always said: "Thank you". Sometimes: "Thank you. It's OK".

Probably you are overdoing the empathy. If they all respond in a weird way, it's probably you, not them.
    Aw bless!

I made the point that it was only some people who responded that way, and that it seemed to have happened to me mainly (only?) since moving to this part of the world, but I guess you didn't notice. *pats head*

Re the Canadian thing: I'm a Canadian living in the UK. I don't mind at all if people say "you're American, right?" What I do mind is if they disbelieve me and imply that I'm lying when I say that I'm Canadian. Otherwise it's all good.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Istbkleta View Post
    Pretty spot on

This is Fi-Te land. Oversensitive Fi backed by brutish, immature Te.
    huh? we're typing cultures now? if anything, its the Te taking things as overwhelming generalizations that channels the Fi. i can say as an NT that when it comes to the embrace of reasoning on an objective, canada is more welcoming towards that attitude then Israel (which is very F>T), while the dialogue tends to dismiss emotional expression, and NFs/SFs might feel less at home in Canada then NTs/STs. manners and norms are actually dictated more by Si then Fe, as its less acts of inconsideration and more general breaks from the expected behavior that are considered inappropriate, and the diversity of cultures is only accepted when all the other expectations are met, suggesting inferior Ne.
    i'd say Canada is Si>Te>Fi>Ni, or ISTJ.

hmm... israel:
    a clear warm hearted and hot tempered, both being more culturally acceptable then reason or rational thought, which can get you stoned in way too many circles. Israel is actually worst then canada on issues of sensitivity, yet in the same time has not developed a culture of accommodating sensitivity, rather instead keeping touch with one's own sensitivity while being insensitive towards each other, a distinct Fi>Te.
    i would actually say that israel is one of the rare cultures that are more accepting of intuitive's then it is of sensors, while tending towards divergent spirituality and having the big unknown everywhere from its slang and most common sayings forming the mentality to an economical tendency to take stupid high risks even throughout the middle class, while having an inferior Si which is constantly feeling suppressed by mainstream culture.. and its certainly extroverted, certainly not accepting to regiment and structure (probably a counter-reaction to the overwhelming draft)...
    i would say Israel is an ENFP.

this is sot of interesting... but i guess it can correlate to the main topic - what would be england's type?

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    huh? we're typing cultures now? if anything, its the Te taking things as overwhelming generalizations that channels the Fi. i can say as an NT that when it comes to the embrace of reasoning on an objective, canada is more welcoming towards that attitude then Israel (which is very F>T), while the dialogue tends to dismiss emotional expression, and NFs/SFs might feel less at home in Canada then NTs/STs. manners and norms are actually dictated more by Si then Fe, as its less acts of inconsideration and more general breaks from the expected behavior that are considered inappropriate, and the diversity of cultures is only accepted when all the other expectations are met, suggesting inferior Ne.
    i'd say Canada is Si>Te>Fi>Ni, or ISTJ.

hmm... israel:
    a clear warm hearted and hot tempered, both being more culturally acceptable then reason or rational thought, which can get you stoned in way too many circles. Israel is actually worst then canada on issues of sensitivity, yet in the same time has not developed a culture of accommodating sensitivity, rather instead keeping touch with one's own sensitivity while being insensitive towards each other, a distinct Fi>Te.
    i would actually say that israel is one of the rare cultures that are more accepting of intuitive's then it is of sensors, while tending towards divergent spirituality and having the big unknown everywhere from its slang and most common sayings forming the mentality to an economical tendency to take stupid high risks even throughout the middle class, while having an inferior Si which is constantly feeling suppressed by mainstream culture.. and its certainly extroverted, certainly not accepting to regiment and structure (probably a counter-reaction to the overwhelming draft)...
    i would say Israel is an ENFP.

this is sot of interesting... but i guess it can correlate to the main topic - what would be england's type?
    I think the thread should be split if you guys want to discuss country types...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Here's a Country Type Thread from last November, for all your country typing needs.

Edit: Actually it looks like it's a few years old, but the last posts are more recent.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    I made the point that it was only some people who responded that way, and that it seemed to have happened to me mainly (only?) since moving to this part of the world, but I guess you didn't notice. *pats head*
    Wriggles tail*

Poor attention to details, sorry

Rly?! If anything brits appear to be more accepting of Ti (based purely on never been there

I guess it's hard trying to constantly gauge how people will react/how they see you if it's your aux. I know so little of the way an INFJ thinks.

From what I can gather you guys are pretty weird and head strong. I've noticed a couple of INFJs falling back onto Fe values in hard times even though it's not their forte. Also INFJ's Fe seems more prominent (pushed into people's faces) than an ENFJ's, yet more childish (not accepting the limitations of reality).

Regarding countries: I'd say dif cultures require us to adapt. Ni doesn't sound very adaptive to me. Good luck!

When I say I'm sorry and people respond that it's not my fault, I usually say, "I know!"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I typically go with "that sucks" or some
    variation.

Anew Leaf

I think it's a regional thing. I dated an ENTP from Texas and it drove him nuts when I would say that or "Oh, that's too bad. " He thought it was some dumb illogical thing to say, when it just is a way to convey sympathy.

I hated that he always said "Yes, ma'am" or "No, ma'am" to me.

I find it odd how when I (or anyone really) posts threads like this, there are always so many people willing to pile on telling you you're doing it all wrong and that's why you get an odd reaction from a FEW people.
    Anytime I make a thread I tell myself I am going to get positive and negative responses and then I am not surprised when that occurs. You can't control how people respond to you. So why care?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Turtledove View Post
    When I was in college, I took a personality psychology class. The teacher was explaining a chapter I can't quite remember, but I remember this coming up. He said that people suffering the loss of perhaps a loved one or something of that nature does not need someone to give sympathy by saying your sorry, but instead that it is best to ask the person, "Is there anything I can do for you?"
    That's interesting. My first reaction to that idea is to think that it's extremely personal. It seems like a good thing to say to close friends or family if they're going through something bad, but if it's someone you don't know well, then I feel like that question would not only be awkward for the person asking it, but the response from the person you're asking would be "Why on earth are you asking??"

I mean, your teacher is the expert and I'm not. That was just my gut reaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I feel compelled to add too - most folks know that the socially graceful thing to do is NOT to say back, "Why, it's not your fault". People who do make a choice to shift the situation to awkward as well, so shouldn't be completely absolved of responsibility there.

"I'm sorry" is a quick shorthand for the extended version, and we all know that. I think too as women we tend to apologize a lot, don't know why we do that, but we do.

The socially appropriate response is simply "Thanks".
    That's how I feel about it, too. The only people I've known who said "Why? It's not your fault", have been awkward people in general.
    Yeah, I think the thing I worry about in saying "when I went through this, I felt like..." is that they're going to think I'm saying "I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL" which to me would be a dismissive/presumptuous reaction. If I said anything along those lines, I'd probably qualify it massively. Like, "I know it's not really the same situation, but it might be a bit like when I went through x and y, and I felt like such and such..." But then that's almost over-qualifying it...dunno.
    Fe vs. Fi? I feel like I've seen talk similar to this on other threads, about how the NFP/STJ method of comforting others is saying "Here's how I handled it in a similar situation", whereas the NFJ method is more straightforwardly comforting, if that makes sense.

And the downside is that you can get this sort of vibe from it: i.e. the Fi person goes "I know how you feel" and proves it, hoping that the camaraderie will make the person feel like they're not alone, and the Fe person will get upset and think that the Fi attempt at comforting was presumptuous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Or, you could be very blunt and say "You know damn well what I meant. I was being polite; stop being nitpicky."
    I have said almost that exact thing to my INTJ roommate, when we've had the interchange from the OP. But I would never ever try it with an NF, unless I knew them well! And even then, I have some very close INFJ friends who would probably be like this
    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Wow, I'm surprised to see my own reaction worded so precisely. This is exactly my gut response too. I know that the other person is trying to be kind and sympathizing but I have an emotional reaction that is first almost offended (it can feel like the other person assumes they know the situation well enough to make a value judgment on it deserving sympathy), and subsequently responsible to comfort the other person. Of course, I realize mentally that they are just responding socially, so usually I think little of it, even though it twinges a little emotionally.
    And here's the Fe/Fi comforting conflict from the other side!! VERY interesting. *strokes imaginary beard*
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Re the Canadian thing: I'm a Canadian living in the UK. I don't mind at all if people say "you're American, right?" What I do mind is if they disbelieve me and imply that I'm lying when I say that I'm Canadian. Otherwise it's all good.
    You should try telling them about Rush, hockey, and Red Green.

One of my cousins (ENFP would be my guess) is an archaeologist. She's traveled to some places that are very hostile to America. On one trip everyone in the group she was with claimed they were Canadians and made up stories about where they grew up.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz