• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] "Sorry." "It's not your fault!"

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
For me saying I'm sorry would be indication of emathy from another person towards the person who "suffered a loss". Not saying it in a negative tone, but "participating" their feeling and being compassionate. So, I understand the op post about the subject. I'm sorry doesn't mean (always) appologizing.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ahh this just happened to me yesterday. So annoying!!

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Related to the topic, here's an excerpt of a book I just read. It's about zombies :)

"It's not fair,” she muttered with a fresh wetness sliding down her cheeks. “Brandon doesn't deserve this. He should be in school or playing video games. Think of all the things we took for granted Riley, things that Brandon will never know except from our stories. If there are other people out there, we have to find them for his sake and start over somehow."

Riley listened to the rain as it bounced off the leaves of the trees around them. “Hannah,” he said softly, “I'm sorry.”
“Sorry, Riley? It's not your fault that the dead woke up or that we're living through the end of the world"

R

RDF

I haven't read the entire thread. I'm sure this has already been said: I always understood the proper response to be "I'm sorry to hear that."

I figure that "I'm sorry" is an abbreviation of the longer response, but "I'm sorry" sounds so casual as to practically invite a cheeky or maybe irritable comeback, IMO.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't read the entire thread. I'm sure this has already been said: I always understood the proper response to be "I'm sorry to hear that."
What if you are not sorry - do you say this anyway??

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Related to the topic, here's an excerpt of a book I just read. It's about zombies :)

:laugh:

I figure that "I'm sorry" is an abbreviation of the longer response, but "I'm sorry" sounds so casual as to practically invite a cheeky or maybe irritable comeback, IMO.

I've always felt like a great deal depends on tone, facial expression etc. (Plus, of course, things like your relationship to the person, whether it may be appropriate to extend an offer of help, etc.) Surely if you say "I'm sorry" in such a situation with a sincere tone, it won't sound casual or flip? I mean, if you say it sarcastically, obviously you should expect a bad response...