User Tag List

First 123 Last

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Yep, I get this ultra-concentration at times, too. I can't focus, I can't focus, I can't focus, and then finally, finally I can concentrate enough to get stuff done - I may as well get as much done in these uncommon instances as possible!

The times it usually happens is when I have a deadline and so I have no choice but to focus and work - once I'm focused I can stay focused for hours and hours on end. It's definitely a major plus when it comes to cramming and last-minute work like that, but on the other hand, my time management skills are very poor - all through high school I coped just fine (even more than fine) with last-minute study/homework and nothing more.

However, I'm doing a degree now which involves huge projects - like easily 40+ hours of work each. Which, regardless of one's concentration skills, one simply cannot produce the night before. So it's been a seriously steep learning curve for me, and even now I'm still struggling to work consistently. I'm getting there, but yeah, it's definitely not a natural sort of method for me. So, it's definitely advantageous to have, but we really have to be careful not to completely forget about just concentrating normally!

Example: I had to present a class today (so a 45-minute or so talk), but my thumb drive freaked out and I had to start everything again at around midnight last night... Somehow, I was able to work right through and up to the 8am class, and then present the thing as if I'd practiced it a hundred times. So that was eight hours straight - not counting what I'd worked on before it freaked out, and at the end of it I was as clear and coherent as if I'd had all the sleep in the world. (For the record, though, I did indeed need a nap later in the day. )

But yeah, and I know I've done 12+ hour stints before without much more than a short break.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    In certain crises situations (let's say, something's on fire? someone gets mugged?) I'm awesome. I'm calm, cool, collected and I can even direct people and get things handled until crises point passes. I reserve my freak out for much later, and even then it's internal (?)
    I'm not necessarily very good in real crisis situations. It depends totally on my mood, how much I have had sleep etc. I can be really great in crisis or I can be really bad in crisis.

I think ISTP's are one of the best types in crises situations. They stay so cool and unemotional in those situations. Totally reliable in crisis unlike me.

MBTI
    ENFP

i handle pressure well ( i think), but im not too sure that has anything to do with type...

im just really good in crises situations because i try to keep everyone as calm as possible, and i stay calm myself, so im able to get work done.

Btw.. Michael Jordan is an ISTP.... that explains a lot

MBTI
    ExFP

Just came back from a final today, for a class I did no work for until yesterday night, when I had a cram session for 8 hours.. It's interesting that when I take tests, especially multiple choice where they use similar/same questions from previous hws/quizzes, I remember EVERYTHING. But I have to cram it, I find that I am best cramming since I tend to forget things if I try to study over a longer period. My short term memory is almost photographic however. Well, not exactly photographic, more like when I'm taking the test I know the answer in an instant because I feel like I've seen it before.. I know this question, and I know the answer! But ask me to tell you the answer after and I couldn't tell ya. Is that Ne at work? Cause I manage to finish tests in a jiffy and am out the door after 15 minutes

Also when I become interested in things I am usually obsessed with the subject for weeks, months. People tell me to shut up cause I'm talking about it so much but after the intense research I quickly get bored and move onto something else to be crazy about.

And in stressful situations I turn into this down to business, no funny stuff version of myself scary

MBTI
    GONE

Actually, I'll rephrase myself. In some crisis situations I can be totally clear headed and calm and very 'all business' -- perhaps it's the ISTJ 'shadow' peeking through?

In other high pressure situations, I totally come apart just like Osso Bucco in the oven (or maybe 'stew in the pressure cooker' would be a better analogy...)

It partially depends on my mindset. If I walk into a crisis, it's much easier for me to direct things for a bit. If I'm in charge and suddenly stuff hits the fan, I can crumble or I can rise to the occasion.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP

I totally believe we were built for/are turned on by emergency situations.

What the procrastinating does is turn it into an emergency situation at a certain point, and the overdrive occurs...I have been wondering for years how to turn that on at will. If anyone knows, please share!

MBTI
    INTP

Hey! I'm the first non-ENFP to post here! I've got nothing to add, I lost concentration reading the OP, but I'm the first, dammit!
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

MBTI prayers.

"ENFP: God, help me to keep my mind on one th -Look a bird- ing at a time."

Kinda says it all really
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Omg, but it's so true!

><
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    ExFP

LOL Nameless, emergency situations TOTALLY turn me on. Seriously, it's the reason why I procrastinate hahaha

For example, if I try to work on a paper a week early in hopes of finishing it quick and not having to worry about it later (pffffft) I end up spending like 5 hours a day on it just trying to concentrate and STILL sidetracking and sidetracking until I write like.. a page a day. Leave a paper til the day before it's due and my brain flips a switch, DO or DIE situation, better get your butt up and goin'!! Adrenaline rush!!! I'm totally addicted lol, plus the few times I have failed at this I felt such utter disappointment with myself that I never want to experience that again

Side note I wonder if that's the reason my Se is so high, or do I love the rush cause of a high Se?