• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] FPs: yes, we CAN tell the difference between someone being natural vs fake

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yes, Fi CAN do this. it isn't hard to tell who is putting up a front/fulfilling a social role/being fake vs someone who is truly doing what they feel like. that's right, we CAN see through to the inner essence of a person. anyone who says we either does not have strong Fi or doesn't trust theirs.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So that is Fi. Interesting.

I am so-so at this I think. I always want to give people the benefit of the doubt.....to not be fake. :D I guess that means my Fe is stronger than my Fi.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So that is Fi. Interesting.

I am so-so at this I think. I always want to give people the benefit of the doubt.....to not be fake. :D I guess that means my Fe is stronger than my Fi.

NFJs can do this too, but they do it in a different way. with FPs, it's a kind of BS detector; NFJs take on the other person's emotions and use Ni to extract the essence from that

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yes, Fi CAN do this. it isn't hard to tell who is putting up a front/fulfilling a social role/being fake vs someone who is truly doing what they feel like. that's right, we CAN see through to the inner essence of a person. anyone who says we either does not have strong Fi or doesn't trust theirs.
Duckie,
You're stating what seems very obvious, to this Fi-Dom. I'm just wondering why? Plus you are giving away the secrets to our super powers, LOL.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NFJs can do this too, but they do it in a different way. with FPs, it's a kind of BS detector; NFJs take on the other person's emotions and use Ni to extract the essence from that

But wouldn't I then end up with a true emotion of some sort, versus being able to tell someone is being fake? Confused.

I ...... think I have a hard time with fake or false agendas or deceit in general. Is this an infj thing, or a me thing you think?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's Fi? Huh, when I feel like someone is "wearing a mask" or "putting up a front", so to speak, I usually get more of an Ne vibe from that. You know, I just have this feeling at the back of my mind, and I'm not sure how I came to that conclusion, even though I'm not often wrong when I get that feeling.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi-Ne thing I think. Fi-Se seems to be about what makes people feel good psychically. My BFF can make everybody feel really at ease around him. It's a gift, even his home is like lush and comfy. All the regular Male ISFP's over the years here have that same calm vibe. He's not such a great judge of character though (that could be because he's younger than me).
I could be wrong, but as NF I hate hogging all the feelery lime light.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Duckie,
You're stating what seems very obvious, to this Fi-Dom. I'm just wondering why? Plus you are giving away the secrets to our super powers, LOL.

I have in the last few days accused several people of perpetuating stereotypes/not being themselves and was met with "how do you know what's natural for them". the answer is: I have Fi, I can see through you :)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But wouldn't I then end up with a true emotion of some sort, versus being able to tell someone is being fake? Confused.
yes, but you would be able to view the other person's emotion more objectively than they themselves might be able to. for instance, you could pull up one of several emotions in the person that the said person was either unaware of or trying to deny including
- insecurity
- anger/hate
- denial
- shame

I ...... think I have a hard time with fake or false agendas or deceit in general. Is this an infj thing, or a me thing you think?
I have trouble with most agendas in the first place. for me at least, it has nothing to do with whether they're fake/authentic and everything to do with the fact that I'm used to communicating in an all cards on the table sort of way where both parties are working for mutual best interest and neither has to withhold certain cards/information to get a certain result (I think agendas as a whole are much more of an Ni/Se thing, my INTJ best friend is brilliant at them)

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fi-Ne thing I think. Fi-Se seems to be about what makes people feel good psychically. My BFF can make everybody feel really at ease around him. It's a gift, even his home is like lush and comfy. All the regular Male ISFP's over the years here have that same calm vibe. He's not such a great judge of character though (that could be because he's younger than me).
I could be wrong, but as NF I hate hogging all the feelery lime light.

there is also an Ne component to it. Ne connects the dots and comes up with possible explanations of why they might be doing what they're doing.
that said, I think [MENTION=6877]Marmie Dearest[/MENTION] would tell you she's good at using her Fi to judge people's character

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have in the last few days accused several people of perpetuating stereotypes/not being themselves and was met with "how do you know what's natural for them". the answer is: I have Fi, I can see through you :)
I see. Good luck, there is many an NT that equate that with telling them how they feel. Apparently it's an NF arrogance. However, I do tend to agree with you, about Fi seeing to the heart of things. Seeking out authenticity in various forms is Fi's motivation.

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
this doesn't make much sense to me.
fi is so subjective, and always about
relating back to ourselves. so if it
does/doesn't correlate, then this person
must be authentic/fake?

all that is just evaluating according to
our own personal judgements and how
we feel.

i guess i can see where it's from, when i
was younger i thought i could see right
through people too. but that's really just
a lack of self-awareness. (also why i find
a lot of fi users incredibly annoying)

i've come to discover that i can really only
be sure about what i know of myself. but i
like that... being delighted and surprised by
people. and i've found that most of the
people that think they are sure about others
are usually the very clueless.

peeper

MBTI Type
INFJ
all that is just evaluating according to
our own personal judgements and how
we feel.

i've come to discover that i can really only
be sure about what i know of myself. but i
like that... being delighted and surprised by
people. and i've found that most of the
people that think they are sure about others
are usually the very clueless.

I have to agree. I've had numerous experiences with a highly sensitive and perceptive INFP (one of my closest friends), that have made me realize she judges too quickly and too soundly. She's still amazingly perceptive, but Fi is like my Ni, sometimes you just need to give people another chance, or the situation a little more time..gather a little more information. We've had some serious misunderstandings over our Fi /Ni tendency to assess too swiftly and through the filter of our emotions/intuitions in the moment. Besides, it's just not, well, humanly possible to always be right!

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A

Has is occurred to you that:

1.) This sense is not 100% infallible?

2.) There is something to be said for the social graces?

3.) That most people care less about this than you do?

I get the essence of what you are saying, but like all things, you must meter it according to situation, temper it with maturity, and test these impressions with real world data as much as possible.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not sure it's Fi. Why does everything have to be function based? In my experience, too, I've seen Fi'ers want to trust people and end up being fooled; the idealism can get in the way.

It typically comes down to either trusting what people say, or else putting together a picture of what seems consistent compared to what you are being told... along with being WILLING to look beyond the surface. Maybe N's are more willing to stretch beyond the obvious but sometimes we're prone to fits of fancy (i.e., seeing things that are not there); and S's with experience with deceit in people can figure this kind of thing out too.

With me, it's more a big-picture awareness of what parts of a given picture do not make sense, and then based on how I know things work, figuring out what pieces are more likely to fit.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I thiink this is bull hoackey. I've had Fi users make false judgements that were way off base in the past. so you're probably not as good as you think you are

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nee

the answer is: I have Fi, I can see through you :)

This may be true at times but my Fi finds it a bit distasteful. I am often highly irritated by people who believe they know who someone is or how they feel better than the person does them self. I find it nervy and assumptive unless one has long-term experience and closed a certain amount of psychological distance with the person in question. Maybe this is because as an ENFP i know that my perceptions are often very accurate but applying judgement to them can be horribly off. I also agree with Mmhmm here, Fi is subjective and relates back to self.. so I don't see this function alone being the ultimate BS detector.

My fi also tells me that if someone decides to be a fake or a fraud, it is still their business and I'm not going to swoop in pointing my finger
"fakey fake, I figured you out - Neener neener!" I find it sad and uncomfortable when other people or even myself, at times, has felt a need to do this - as though the real nectar is somehow insufficient. I typically want to dig deeper so I can understand why someone might be using a mask instead of demonizing them for it.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why is it so hard to accept when people build whole careers on their ability to judge other people's characters. I'm talking about criminal profilers, Police to a certain degree, job interviewers. Sure they have pieces of paper saying they can, but the aptitude has to be there. It's not necessarily Fi but why the resistance to the concept? We are on a forum for personality profiling, does that not involve some measure of character judgment?

I think I've stated before how my abusive childhood kinda predisposed me to be hyper aware of body language and facial expressions, as a defense mechanism. It translates well to real life. Yes, I may judge quicker than most, but I also have friends and family (even workmates) who have come to accept that I'm not bad at reading people and situations.
I have less acuity over the interwebz, admittedly.

I have learnt over the years, not to distrust my first impressions. I'm really not gonna squash some one who shares similar sentiments, having learnt what I've learnt. Y'all have just had different experiences.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why is it so hard to accept when people build whole careers on their ability to judge other people's characters. I'm talking about criminal profilers, Police to a certain degree, job interviewers. Sure they have pieces of paper saying they can, but the aptitude has to be there. It's not necessarily Fi but why the resistance to the concept? We are on a forum for personality profiling, does that not involve some measure of character judgment?

I think I've stated before how my abusive childhood kinda predisposed me to be hyper aware of body language and facial expressions, as a defense mechanism. It translates well to real life. Yes, I may judge quicker than most, but I also have friends and family (even workmates) who have come to accept that I'm not bad at reading people and situations.
I have less acuity over the interwebz, admittedly.

I have learnt over the years, not to distrust my first impressions. I'm really not gonna squash some one who shares similar sentiments, having learnt what I've learnt. Y'all have just had different experiences.

So you have become almost hypervigilant then, in watching others in an effort to intercept and protect against being hurt? Do you find your barometer also keeps out those who really would not hurt you as well? Do you have to always fine-tune it, or even find that it is grossly out of whack? Just very curious. :)

Profilers use behavior to try to get an idea of who they are after, in order to understand someone better. I think that is what most of us use mbti for as well, though Victor makes a good point how mbti can then be used to control others.

It can get all muddled when you start talking about assessing people and judging people. Of course we cannot control our gut instincts and impressions of others. I do it quickly and easily and inadvertently, as do we all. It's part of our animal instinct, to size up body language with our experience to protect ourselves. I think it becomes bad, and a problem, when we then take it a step or two further and judge the essence of the person, or even their underlying character. I think the key is to remember we have every right to judge others' behaviors toward us and toward other people, but if we then judge that person, or their innate character as bad or faulty, we are not only incorrect, but it does a disservice to society at large, and humanity.

Why? Because sometimes people fuck up and do bad things. Judging who they are, or will always be, on past performance/behavior just feels bad, and I know I wouldn't want someone judging my future life/self or who I am, on my past mistakes/behaviors. God wants us to love each other, using the innate love and goodness we have in us, and using His love which surrounds us always, if we allow ourselves to feel it. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Judge not, lest ye be judged. <3 There is always a new day to be better.