User Tag List

First 1234 Last

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I have in the last few days accused several people of perpetuating stereotypes/not being themselves and was met with "how do you know what's natural for them". the answer is: I have Fi, I can see through you
    I see. Good luck, there is many an NT that equate that with telling them how they feel. Apparently it's an NF arrogance. However, I do tend to agree with you, about Fi seeing to the heart of things. Seeking out authenticity in various forms is Fi's motivation.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

this doesn't make much sense to me.
    fi is so subjective, and always about
    relating back to ourselves. so if it
    does/doesn't correlate, then this person
    must be authentic/fake?

all that is just evaluating according to
    our own personal judgements and how
    we feel.

i guess i can see where it's from, when i
    was younger i thought i could see right
    through people too. but that's really just
    a lack of self-awareness. (also why i find
    a lot of fi users incredibly annoying)

i've come to discover that i can really only
    be sure about what i know of myself. but i
    like that... being delighted and surprised by
    people. and i've found that most of the
    people that think they are sure about others
    are usually the very clueless.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ISFP

Suck donkey balls at doing this. Seriously.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    all that is just evaluating according to
    our own personal judgements and how
    we feel.

i've come to discover that i can really only
    be sure about what i know of myself. but i
    like that... being delighted and surprised by
    people. and i've found that most of the
    people that think they are sure about others
    are usually the very clueless.
    I have to agree. I've had numerous experiences with a highly sensitive and perceptive INFP (one of my closest friends), that have made me realize she judges too quickly and too soundly. She's still amazingly perceptive, but Fi is like my Ni, sometimes you just need to give people another chance, or the situation a little more time..gather a little more information. We've had some serious misunderstandings over our Fi /Ni tendency to assess too swiftly and through the filter of our emotions/intuitions in the moment. Besides, it's just not, well, humanly possible to always be right!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

yes, Fi CAN do this. it isn't hard to tell who is putting up a front/fulfilling a social role/being fake vs someone who is truly doing what they feel like. that's right, we CAN see through to the inner essence of a person. anyone who says we either does not have strong Fi or doesn't trust theirs.
    Has is occurred to you that:

1.) This sense is not 100% infallible?

2.) There is something to be said for the social graces?

3.) That most people care less about this than you do?

I get the essence of what you are saying, but like all things, you must meter it according to situation, temper it with maturity, and test these impressions with real world data as much as possible.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Not sure it's Fi. Why does everything have to be function based? In my experience, too, I've seen Fi'ers want to trust people and end up being fooled; the idealism can get in the way.

It typically comes down to either trusting what people say, or else putting together a picture of what seems consistent compared to what you are being told... along with being WILLING to look beyond the surface. Maybe N's are more willing to stretch beyond the obvious but sometimes we're prone to fits of fancy (i.e., seeing things that are not there); and S's with experience with deceit in people can figure this kind of thing out too.

With me, it's more a big-picture awareness of what parts of a given picture do not make sense, and then based on how I know things work, figuring out what pieces are more likely to fit.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

I thiink this is bull hoackey. I've had Fi users make false judgements that were way off base in the past. so you're probably not as good as you think you are
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Default Nee

the answer is: I have Fi, I can see through you
    This may be true at times but my Fi finds it a bit distasteful. I am often highly irritated by people who believe they know who someone is or how they feel better than the person does them self. I find it nervy and assumptive unless one has long-term experience and closed a certain amount of psychological distance with the person in question. Maybe this is because as an ENFP i know that my perceptions are often very accurate but applying judgement to them can be horribly off. I also agree with Mmhmm here, Fi is subjective and relates back to self.. so I don't see this function alone being the ultimate BS detector.

My fi also tells me that if someone decides to be a fake or a fraud, it is still their business and I'm not going to swoop in pointing my finger
    "fakey fake, I figured you out - Neener neener!" I find it sad and uncomfortable when other people or even myself, at times, has felt a need to do this - as though the real nectar is somehow insufficient. I typically want to dig deeper so I can understand why someone might be using a mask instead of demonizing them for it.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Why is it so hard to accept when people build whole careers on their ability to judge other people's characters. I'm talking about criminal profilers, Police to a certain degree, job interviewers. Sure they have pieces of paper saying they can, but the aptitude has to be there. It's not necessarily Fi but why the resistance to the concept? We are on a forum for personality profiling, does that not involve some measure of character judgment?

I think I've stated before how my abusive childhood kinda predisposed me to be hyper aware of body language and facial expressions, as a defense mechanism. It translates well to real life. Yes, I may judge quicker than most, but I also have friends and family (even workmates) who have come to accept that I'm not bad at reading people and situations.
    I have less acuity over the interwebz, admittedly.

I have learnt over the years, not to distrust my first impressions. I'm really not gonna squash some one who shares similar sentiments, having learnt what I've learnt. Y'all have just had different experiences.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Why is it so hard to accept when people build whole careers on their ability to judge other people's characters. I'm talking about criminal profilers, Police to a certain degree, job interviewers. Sure they have pieces of paper saying they can, but the aptitude has to be there. It's not necessarily Fi but why the resistance to the concept? We are on a forum for personality profiling, does that not involve some measure of character judgment?

I think I've stated before how my abusive childhood kinda predisposed me to be hyper aware of body language and facial expressions, as a defense mechanism. It translates well to real life. Yes, I may judge quicker than most, but I also have friends and family (even workmates) who have come to accept that I'm not bad at reading people and situations.
    I have less acuity over the interwebz, admittedly.

I have learnt over the years, not to distrust my first impressions. I'm really not gonna squash some one who shares similar sentiments, having learnt what I've learnt. Y'all have just had different experiences.

So you have become almost hypervigilant then, in watching others in an effort to intercept and protect against being hurt? Do you find your barometer also keeps out those who really would not hurt you as well? Do you have to always fine-tune it, or even find that it is grossly out of whack? Just very curious.

Profilers use behavior to try to get an idea of who they are after, in order to understand someone better. I think that is what most of us use mbti for as well, though Victor makes a good point how mbti can then be used to control others.

It can get all muddled when you start talking about assessing people and judging people. Of course we cannot control our gut instincts and impressions of others. I do it quickly and easily and inadvertently, as do we all. It's part of our animal instinct, to size up body language with our experience to protect ourselves. I think it becomes bad, and a problem, when we then take it a step or two further and judge the essence of the person, or even their underlying character. I think the key is to remember we have every right to judge others' behaviors toward us and toward other people, but if we then judge that person, or their innate character as bad or faulty, we are not only incorrect, but it does a disservice to society at large, and humanity.

Why? Because sometimes people fuck up and do bad things. Judging who they are, or will always be, on past performance/behavior just feels bad, and I know I wouldn't want someone judging my future life/self or who I am, on my past mistakes/behaviors. God wants us to love each other, using the innate love and goodness we have in us, and using His love which surrounds us always, if we allow ourselves to feel it. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Judge not, lest ye be judged. <3 There is always a new day to be better.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com