User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    enfp

Question ENFP concentration issues

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.

I've been interested in MBTI and personality typology for several years now, and have turned a few of my friends and old flings onto it, i think it's fascinating!

My question is do other ENFP's have difficulty concentrating?
    I'm 23 now, and have had lots of difficulty concentrating on school, reading, and even conversations with people because I get distracted and preoccupied so easily. Sometimes, it's by a thought in my own head, other times it's by external stimuli,....but usually it's the former. In college, the only way I got through was with ADHD meds which I was prescribed by a psychiatrist. I'm on the fence about going back on...
    Any other ENFP's have similar difficulties? What helps you to focus?

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I might be ENFP (I'm xNFP definitely), but I have this same problem. I'm very easily distracted and prone to ruminating in my own imgaination when bored with something, often because if something can't maintain my interest then I'll entertain myself with personal thought and crazy ideas, or I might just look outside the window and enjoy the scenery. I also take FOREVER to get reading done; often I'll stop after every paragraph and relfect on the material I just read, then think about something related to that, then go on another off tangeant, then realize that I just pissed away 10 minutes and havn't even gotten past a single page of what I was reading.

Also, welcome to the forums Oh cool you're from Philly; I used to live near there

MBTI
    enfp

hey thanks for the welcome, and for your response, Savage Idealist.
    It is quite frustrating that I cannot sit still and concentrate for long enough to finish assignments on time.
    ...This leads to me becoming anxious, then I'm so anxious I can't focus, then I get anxious because I can't focus, and so on...
    grrrr.....
    What helps you?

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by melC View Post
    hey thanks for the welcome, and for your response, Savage Idealist.
    Sure thing

It is quite frustrating that I cannot sit still and concentrate for long enough to finish assignments on time.
    ...This leads to me becoming anxious, then I'm so anxious I can't focus, then I get anxious because I can't focus, and so on...
    grrrr.....
    What helps you?
    Uhhhh, I don't think I've ever found a reliable cure to my inability to concentrate. I suppose the best thing to do, well what I usually attempt to do, is to consciously make as great an effort as possible to focus on whatever task or assignment is at hand, and if I drift off into thought, remind myself quickly that paying attention to my primary objective is of grave importance. However if the task or assignment at hand isn't urgent within that moment, and concentration just will not come, then usually I go and preoccupy myself with something else for a while, and return to the task or assignment later, after I've had a chance to clear my head of any troublesome thoughts, random ideas, etc.

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

[D]o other ENFP's have difficulty concentrating?... What helps you to focus?
    I have a very hard time concentrating. The only thing that's really helped me was going to get diagnosed as having adult ADD. The meds for this do help me focus.

I'd love to hear it if anyone has a better idea.
    ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

MBTI
    ENFP

I honestly think I'm ADD.

Example of my train of thought:

"Well, its really hard to explain, and its a long stor- OH MY GOD, look at that tree. Look at the hole in that tree! You could fit ten people in there!"

MBTI
    enfp

glad to see all us ENFP's are ADD/ADHD.
    now let's get some TJ's on here to throw out some answers...

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

glad to see all us ENFP's are ADD/ADHD.
    Exactly, is seems as though dominant Ne, hey look a butterfly

now let's get some TJ's on here to throw out some answers...
    True that

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I dont think adhd/add is so common with Ne doms as though generally, i think that they just get easily misdiagnosed due to Ne going all over place and sharing some characteristics with those mental disorders.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    enfp

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    I dont think adhd/add is so common with Ne doms as though generally, i think that they just get easily misdiagnosed due to Ne going all over place and sharing some characteristics with those mental disorders.
    Interesting. I suppose the line between order and disorder is a fine one and may in fact be subjective, but sometimes, ya just gotta get shit done. Unfortunately, I need meds in order to do that.