First 12345 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well, I have very good "telepathy" with loved ones, like knowing people need me or that they're trying to contact me or even that they're standing behind me. I can feel that someone I'm already close to may come back into my life.

But I am terrible at jumping to wrong conclusions. Like seriously, I can think this or that and have it be totally wrong. I made two very bad guesses about another person and myself just this past week. I've also mixed up my own vision/desires with what I thought was intuition.

I think this is a sign my Ni is tertiary not in any way dom/aux. I don't think I'm Ne, either, because I seriously don't sit around and think about absurd hypotheticals and I can get really frustrated when someone insists on their theory being correct when it clearly doesn't have jack shit to do with real life. However, I am "random" and "big picture"...and guess what? Se is random and big picture too, and Se types frequently mistype as Ns, especially ISxPs.

Also, when I was in my teens my Ni felt very "mysterious" and "supernatural" to me, which is apparently common in Se types more than true NFs, especially INFJ who has Ni as a dom function wouldn't see their Ni as "mysterious." I even had an INTJ say the other day on this forum in a thread that his Ni isn't all that mysterious.

I know this doesn't apply if you're an ISFJ, in fact if you were ISFJ you would reject Ne, so you might want to ask someone like Giggly, or even EJCC (an ESTJ who has well developed Ne, ESxJs do more often, my ESFJ ex did, and my ISTPs ESFJ mommy is about 50 and her current age uses Ne with such dexterity it just confirmed to me that she has more Ne than I do!)

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    @Randomnity I think you make a very good point about something feeling so right in your head that you can MAKE it right, force it to be right, use its "rightness" as a starting point, and that being an Ni-dom tendency. Personally, I think I also don't like putting myself "out there" to get shot down. Sometimes I reach very definite conclusions about people. I might judge someone harshly and definitively when I've reached a point of real anger and hurt with them. But I'll keep most of it to myself. I may feel very very right and sure about them, but I know it's subjective too. Hard to explain. I guess I hedge my bets a lot.
    I identify a lot with what you describe too, actually - maybe it's a tert-Ni thing, or a 6 thing, or who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Also, when I was in my teens my Ni felt very "mysterious" and "supernatural" to me, which is apparently common in Se types more than true NFs, especially INFJ who has Ni as a dom function wouldn't see their Ni as "mysterious." I even had an INTJ say the other day on this forum in a thread that his Ni isn't all that mysterious.
    Interesting. I don't see my tert-Ni as mysterious or supernatural at all, although I do have a hard time really understanding what is Ni as opposed to Ti, because they really seem to overlap and work together, in my view. But maybe that's just because I don't see many things in life as "supernatural".
    -end of thread-

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I identify a lot with what you describe too, actually - maybe it's a tert-Ni thing, or a 6 thing, or who knows.

Interesting. I don't see my tert-Ni as mysterious or supernatural at all, although I do have a hard time really understanding what is Ni as opposed to Ti, because they really seem to overlap and work together, in my view. But maybe that's just because I don't see many things in life as "supernatural".
    It could have to do with my own belief system, because I was raised with a lot of both Irish and Native American superstition, in the South, amongst Christians.

It could be the Fi/Ni combo as opposed to the Ti/Ni combo that creates this "feeling" of course.

Jung talks about Se doms (ESxPs) having a kind of pagan sense, with a superstitious, "magical" religiosity. This could be an argument for my being ESFP.

I also grew up in the South, as I say, around a lot of historical properties and was educated quite roundly about history by my elders, so maybe my Fi internalized this as being able to "feel" energies in old houses, etc.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    It's really just that I hardly ever feel I have some sort of magic radar for people. I seldom feel I have infallible instincts and that sort of thing. And it seems to be a common thread with N-aux and dom to feel that way.
    Yeah, Ni doesn't mean that you have magic powers of intuition, and most Ni-doms I meet and speak with don't feel that they're doing anything that remarkable. On occasion, they get uncannily accurate premonitions they can't explain, but it's not like a super power.

What makes someone Ni (as opposed to Si) is that Si thinks like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Who
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,
    while Ni thinks like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Who, again
    but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Basically, Ni looks at things dynamically, where INTJs think in terms of physical/objective dynamics, while INFJs think in terms of people dynamics. Si sees history as a huge repository of knowledge, Ni looks to history to see how things might happen in the future. There's the whole inside-the-box and outside-the-box cliche, but truth be told, Si has a really really big box with meticulous details for exceptions to generalities, where Ni has lots of boxes which get switched out as needed for the case at hand. (Actually, Ni has no boxes, but a set of rules of functional dynamics. The rules are fairly constant, and evolve slowly as we learn, but we can't put them to words, and are instead stuck with describing the material specifics that suggest the underlying ideas, hence "lots of boxes.")

Because we focus on the dynamics of situations, we see things that others don't see when they focus on the individual things/objects/people. It just isn't obvious to us, especially early on, that other people don't perceive the world this way, but it's exactly why Ni gets tagged as being mystical: most other people (whatever 90-odd percent of them) don't think this way, so that which is blindingly obvious from a dynamic, functional perspective appears to be deep and insightful to others (if true) or completely wacky (if false or not falsifiable). Worse, it's hard to put the functional dynamics into words: I've mentioned before how Newton had to invent calculus to talk about gravity. All of the Si (and Se) things in the world have fairly precise names and labels, but the laws of human interaction, for example, still defy explanation and we're stuck with abstract concepts or (in the case of this forum) typologies.

In short, we observe and state that which is obvious to us, but we often cannot explain "why" it is true to those who don't think like us, so it's labelled "mystical."

An interesting aspect of Ni-doms as described in Nardi's latest book is that both INFJs and INTJs both use a part of the brain that deals with "precise speaking": we're well aware of how difficult it is to convey our ideas, and so we get a lot of practice converting abstract concepts into everyday speech.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

@SilkRoad, for what it's worth, you read as an INFJ to me... and a pretty well-balanced one at that. I know we haven't interacted directly very much, but I always enjoy reading what you have to say... which is filled with what is obvious to me as Ni-insight. I've also noticed that your Fe doesn't manifest itself in the way that it does with other INFJs.

Have you considered that this "lack of being sure of your insights about people thing" is more about Fe than about N versus S? From my Fi point of view, one of the most salient traits I observe in Fe-users is that they state their Fe observations as if they are unequivocal fact. In other words, to Fi-user me, Fe-users often make statements about people and relationships that seem horrendously overconfident. I've come to learn that Fe users of the INFJ variety aren't intending to come off as "judgey" (thanks @highlander for this word) in their statements as I sometimes hear it.

Highlander explained how some types come across as judgier than others, but that for INFJs they weren't nearly as "judgey" as they sounded. He did this in one of his posts in another thread that I can't seem to find after searching for about 10 minutes. [Highlander, you know the post I mean. The "judgey" one. Can you find it and post the link here? Thanks!]

Anyway, Silkroad, my whole point is that you don't seem to express your Fe in the way other INFJs on this forum do. So I attribute the differences you're observing between yourself and other INFJs as an Fe thing. Perhaps something in your upbringing or your personal development made it important to you to not jump to judgment too quickly. Consider this a blessing that makes you a well-rounded, ethically mature INFJ.

ENFP with kick*ss Te | 7w8 so | ♀

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I don't think I've ever really had the feeling that I was doing/experiencing something mystical. I've certainly had strange moments in my life and I wonder if I have had premonitions or if it's just confirmation bias...etc. However, I think one of the things it comes down to in my case is that I see connections others don't - and that constantly - and they are things which seem normal to me. I experienced this a lot in school or uni, I'd hand in a paper knowing that quite frankly I hadn't even worked incredibly hard on it (well, some of the time!) and the teacher or professor would praise the connections I'd found that others hadn't, and they seemed so obvious to me, but apparently not to most others. I think I tend to see little patterns everywhere and weave them into bigger and bigger patterns. I let myself do this quite freely when it comes to - uh - my fascination with spies, or Arthurian legend, or whatever. I'm more reluctant to do it with people issues, I guess.

I have no idea if it's Ni or something else but I don't think anything that has really affected me emotionally ever leaves the pattern - so to speak. I have interests which I've kind of moved on from - but I never move on from a real passion 100%, it is always there and other things grow from it. There are people in my life who are no longer in my life for one reason or another and we may never speak again. But almost every day they'll weave themselves through, somehow. Something will remind me or I'll feel something I learned from the experience.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    Yeah, Ni doesn't mean that you have magic powers of intuition, and most Ni-doms I meet and speak with don't feel that they're doing anything that remarkable. On occasion, they get uncannily accurate premonitions they can't explain, but it's not like a super power.

What makes someone Ni (as opposed to Si) is that Si thinks like this:

while Ni thinks like this:

Basically, Ni looks at things dynamically, where INTJs think in terms of physical/objective dynamics, while INFJs think in terms of people dynamics. Si sees history as a huge repository of knowledge, Ni looks to history to see how things might happen in the future. There's the whole inside-the-box and outside-the-box cliche, but truth be told, Si has a really really big box with meticulous details for exceptions to generalities, where Ni has lots of boxes which get switched out as needed for the case at hand. (Actually, Ni has no boxes, but a set of rules of functional dynamics. The rules are fairly constant, and evolve slowly as we learn, but we can't put them to words, and are instead stuck with describing the material specifics that suggest the underlying ideas, hence "lots of boxes.")

Because we focus on the dynamics of situations, we see things that others don't see when they focus on the individual things/objects/people. It just isn't obvious to us, especially early on, that other people don't perceive the world this way, but it's exactly why Ni gets tagged as being mystical: most other people (whatever 90-odd percent of them) don't think this way, so that which is blindingly obvious from a dynamic, functional perspective appears to be deep and insightful to others (if true) or completely wacky (if false or not falsifiable). Worse, it's hard to put the functional dynamics into words: I've mentioned before how Newton had to invent calculus to talk about gravity. All of the Si (and Se) things in the world have fairly precise names and labels, but the laws of human interaction, for example, still defy explanation and we're stuck with abstract concepts or (in the case of this forum) typologies.

In short, we observe and state that which is obvious to us, but we often cannot explain "why" it is true to those who don't think like us, so it's labelled "mystical."

An interesting aspect of Ni-doms as described in Nardi's latest book is that both INFJs and INTJs both use a part of the brain that deals with "precise speaking": we're well aware of how difficult it is to convey our ideas, and so we get a lot of practice converting abstract concepts into everyday speech.
    Mmmkay, I relate to a lot of this. Converting abstract concepts into everyday speech? I'm a writer. And I am told that I am very good at this...and it happens pretty naturally...if I need to write an article or something, at least if it is something I am truly interested in, it will just sort of grow in my head and form into the right words and the right structure and then I just need to write it down...

I understand what you mean about focusing about dynamics, rather than individual specifics. I think it's got at least a bit to do with why I see things very few others do, and then miss the fact that the tree in front of my house was chopped down weeks ago (well, metaphorically speaking anyway!)
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post
    @SilkRoad, for what it's worth, you read as an INFJ to me... and a pretty well-balanced one at that. I know we haven't interacted directly very much, but I always enjoy reading what you have to say... which is filled with what is obvious to me as Ni-insight. I've also noticed that your Fe doesn't manifest itself in the way that it does with other INFJs.

Have you considered that this "lack of being sure of your insights about people thing" is more about Fe than about N versus S? From my Fi point of view, one of the most salient traits I observe in Fe-users is that they state their Fe observations as if they are unequivocal fact. In other words, to Fi-user me, Fe-users often make statements about people and relationships that seem horrendously overconfident. I've come to learn that Fe users of the INFJ variety aren't intending to come off as "judgey" (thanks @highlander for this word) in their statements as I sometimes hear it.

Highlander explained how some types come across as judgier than others, but that for INFJs they weren't nearly as "judgey" as they sounded. He did this in one of his posts in another thread that I can't seem to find after searching for about 10 minutes. [Highlander, you know the post I mean. The "judgey" one. Can you find it and post the link here? Thanks!]

Anyway, Silkroad, my whole point is that you don't seem to express your Fe in the way other INFJs on this forum do. So I attribute the differences you're observing between yourself and other INFJs as an Fe thing. Perhaps something in your upbringing or your personal development made it important to you to not jump to judgment too quickly. Consider this a blessing that makes you a well-rounded, ethically mature INFJ.

Hmmm this is a really interesting perspective! Thanks for coming at it this way. I think that in general (although I can be judgmental too, I'm afraid...) my Fe manifests more as diplomacy. I think it's partly nature and partly nurture. I am a lot like my dad and he is super-diplomatic. Actually, people sometimes think he's a lawyer, which annoys him, but anyway And yeah, I was raised to not impute bad motives to people, and that sort of thing. We are all IxxJs in my family (not positive of anyone's type but dad is probably ISFJ, mom probably INTJ and brother probably ISTJ) and I think we just tend to keep our judgments to ourselves a lot. I actually think I am more open with statements of judgment than I used to be but probably still fairly diplomatic for the most part.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Basically, Ni looks at things dynamically, where INTJs think in terms of physical/objective dynamics, while INFJs think in terms of people dynamics.

Thank you again yet another excellent post on the subject of Ni. I'm beginning to have a new appreciation of the fact you INTJs share the same dom function as yours and a few other INTJs descriptions of the functions are so elegant and well worded.
    Seeing the dynamics is precisely the right way to describe it.

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric Wench View Post

I forgot to say one thing... I know INFJs are generally thought of as "judgey" though Ni is in fact a perceiving function. When it becomes more elegant and has developed enough with age and maturity we're able to view things from multiple perspectives and angles and place the event or dynamic in several context frames and it follows that we refrain from "judgey" behavior as we don't attach absolute judgements to as many events. I think any negative "judgeyness" is reserved for actions that have very negative effects on larger scale human dynamics in general.