User Tag List

First 234

Thread: NF "telepathy"

NPcomplete

I have had connections like this with other people, mostly NFJs and NTPs (though that also could be because most of my closest friends are of those types). I enjoy those clicks even if at the same time I feel somewhat transparent around those friends. Then again, I am probably as transparent to my "telepathy-mates" as they are to me. Hopefully...

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    This isn't about "cliquing", it's about knowing things, especially of a personal & emotional nature, without exchange of factual information or through observance of actual behavior.
    This rings particularly true for me. I like the feeling that I'm "understood" and that I don't [always] have to go through the tediousness of saying and explaining everything. "Knowing" them at that level also makes it easier to trust them. Sometimes it even feels like we're sharing the same (or at least similar) mental landscapes and it makes it easier to play around, explore and even expand the boundaries.

In spite of the transparency and everything that it entails, I don't generally assume that we're completely similar (vanity perhaps? :P). I did, however, recently find myself at the receiving end of this assumption. I have a very close friend who I share this telepathy-shenanigan with (I'm 90 % convinced that he's an INFJ). We often get into very long discussions and being cryptic and lazy, we don't always share our mental processes. It has generally been quite obvious to me that his methods are more humanistic than my own utilitarian technology-crazed methods but [I suppose] our "telepathy" and the fact that we often reach the same conclusions have led him to believe otherwise. As a result, he was quite shocked to discover the differences and I think, he still doesn't believe me. :P (We like those differences though - more things to play with!)

And at least I haven't been doorslammed yet!

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I'm pretty sure most people who are relatively alike would be able to assume things about each other with relative ease. People click when they find a sufficient, satisfactory amount of common ground. Not really an NF thing, but iNtuition and extraverted feeling are applicable in aspects of reading others. As a stand-alone function, seeing the thing in itself, Fi not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    This isn't about "cliquing", it's about knowing things, especially of a personal & emotional nature, without exchange of factual information or through observance of actual behavior.
    I find the way Fi-Ne susses out people fascinating, because it's foreign to me. My husband is an ENFP and he's very good at figuring our people's character. We always agree though I'm suspecting the way we get there is different:
    I suppose in MBTI talk Ni and Se work in tandem, external observation interpreted as signifiers of something archetypal paired with Fe which really is feeling other people's feelings (that is how it feels like) taking in that information and all that lumped together subconsciously processes to create an overall image of the situation and person...
    How does Fi-Si and Ne work???

As Ni Fe goes I think ENFJs are the people experts. I feel other's feelings in my gut, in my body, so strongly that I could almost pictorally represent different feelings and mine is just aux Fe. I can't imagine how intimately and intricately dom Fe works. To me my aux fe is almost too overpowering at times.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Honestly, I wouldn't believe it actually exists, except that people have said they feel that way, so I trust them on that. For me, it would be wishful thinking / delusion if I were to imagine such things.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    I find the way Fi-Ne susses out people fascinating, because it's foreign to me. My husband is an ENFP and he's very good at figuring our people's character. We always agree though I'm suspecting the way we get there is different:
    I suppose in MBTI talk Ni and Se work in tandem, external observation interpreted as signifiers of something archetypal paired with Fe which really is feeling other people's feelings (that is how it feels like) taking in that information and all that lumped together subconsciously processes to create an overall image of the situation and person...
    How does Fi-Si and Ne work???
    It seems to me that NFJs form/receive an immediate, strong, instinctual impression (Ni), which comes together with a immediate, clear, definitive, broad interpretation (Fe). I can't do this, I need more time to collate all the information and make sense of it before I can form a opinion. Even if someone asks me if I want a cup of tea, I have to pause and consult my feelings ("hmmm, do I want to drink tea?" ) and the person is left standing there tapping their feet waiting for an answer - although I do sometimes say yes or no before I know for certain out of politeness (hoping it will turn out to be the right decision).

To use an analogy: imagine someone dumps a 100 piece puzzle on a table. The pieces are all randomly scattered, partially obscured, and some are upside down. A NFP and NFJ then look at the pieces and try to determine what the picture on it could be.

The NFJ takes a look for a short time and then says, "It's a picture of ____". She then elaborates on what other details are likely to be in the picture based on what hints she perceives and other reasonable assumptions. She may then choose to put together the puzzle anyway and see how correct she was. She might not have all the details 100% accurate but she may be remarkably correct in general and on to the right line of thinking; however she can also confuse the two, thinking they are the same thing (ie. generally correct = accurate details) or if she assumes her instincts are always directly aligned with reality.

The NFP, however, may not get a reading on what it is straight away, or if she does, it's vague and she wants to test or clarify it before committing to it. She thinks the NFJ interpretation may be correct but imagines the same hints suggesting a thousand other possibilities as well. She spreads the pieces out, turns them up the right way, and starts comparing them to each other; grouping them together based on common colours, tones, shapes, and textures she perceives. She starts to form a few small clusters (perhaps of indistinct images) and perceives interrelating patterns; becoming increasingly confident in an interpretation. It is then that she ventures to guess what it is, what the other missing elements may entail and how they relate to one another. This means she can be more accurate in her guess but she can also get way off base if she puts the pieces together incorrectly or if she allows subjective interpretations to colour her evaluation.

The resulting difference between the two is in the length of time it takes to get a clear impression (Ni vs. Ne) and in how decisive they were about that (Fe vs. Fi). NFJs focus on their gut reaction (Ni) which responds to strong instantaneous perceptions (Se) and is based on common shorthand interpretation (Fe). NFPs need to build up a series of patterns (Ne) and then use each one to establish a foundation or springboard (Si) in order to form more patterns, all of which is based on a case by case interpretation (Fi).
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Thank you That helped a lot. I've been wondering about the difference. I pretty much know how I operate (to the degree it's possible) but the Ne-Si-Fi I had a hard time wrapping my head around. I loved the puzzle analogy.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Reverie View Post
    Thank you That helped a lot. I've been wondering about the difference. I pretty much know how I operate (to the degree it's possible) but the Ne-Si-Fi I had a hard time wrapping my head around. I loved the puzzle analogy.
    I'm glad.

Although, I must add the disclaimer (which is appropriate given the subject ) that this is merely my perspective and it's quite possible that other NFPs will disagree with me.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte