• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fi] looking for easy career

Ponyboy

Insert witty line here...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
making a lot of money and exerting little effort are...things that are usually opposite each other. Usually.

My suggestion is to learn a trade, where you apprentice with someone, gain knowledge, then use that skill. These are basic skills that will probably not become outdated unless they invent a different kind of elevator, which is not likely.

Elevator repair - you do work with a couple guys, but it's relatively routine. You perform service visits and emergency repairs but rarely deal with regular people. I think they may have unions.
Plumber - earns good money. You do have to interact a little with people, but not too much. Perform emergency visits for boilers and such
Air conditioner repair (hvac) - same thing.
paralegal - I think there are 'late' shifts where you don't interact much with people. I'm not exactly sure what they do but you probably earn decent money
Post office - in the office, sorting mail, I'm sure you don't deal with a lot of people. Much mail is sorted by machine now, though. Please stay away from firearms ;)

I also agree w/ an earlier responder who said to work on your depression and outlook.

That may have been the dumbest post I have ever seen in my life. I'm guessing you work in an office (if you work) and have no connection with reality? You missed the mark completely, and barely managed to get within the stereotypes! Jeez, get a clue before you start defining jobs you clearly know nothing about!!

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That may have been the dumbest post I have ever seen in my life. I'm guessing you work in an office (if you work) and have no connection with reality? You missed the mark completely, and barely managed to get within the stereotypes! Jeez, get a clue before you start defining jobs you clearly know nothing about!!

Instead of insulting the poster you could explain why you think she missed the mark with the examples she gave. Anyway, she is just trying to be of help.

Ponyboy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instead of insulting the poster you could explain why you think she missed the mark with the examples she gave. Anyway, she is just trying to be of help.

I was about to post about the fact that you didn't read the OP where it was specifically mentioned that "Trades" were not an option but I think I would rather go with this.
I think xenaprincess (and you) are insulting by the fact that you have no idea how much training and licensing are involved with these "easy" careers that were mentioned. I can't speak for the post office option because I have no experience/knowledge there, but everything else mentioned is hardly "easy". Its just you cubicle monkeys that seem to think so.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Some type of office related work for a large company - basically a cubicle farm is the best match I can think of because those tend to be so large that they can't keep track of how much work each person is doing as long as you can master the art of looking busy. ...

yup, there's that... and also, that there are a lot of people doing the overall work, so there's no job that is dependent on one person usually... the slackers can afford not to do anything, without it really being noticed in the final outcome.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Teaching is hard work. Easy my ass.

Stick with research. But that still takes years of university education.

Um, research is not exactly easy either, and neither is the phd (+undergrad) required to get there. It's about the last thing from what the OP wants - it pays terribly and takes a great deal of work, mental energy and stress, and it is still hard to get a job despite all that....

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How about delivering newspapers? At least in my area, it pays pretty well. You get paid for your gas and get to drive around alone for much of the day, and you wouldn't be near a boss to watch over you. It's not as physically taxing as professional driving, either.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
AALLRIGHT!!

I got some really cool jobs lined up for you!! :)

http://www.cracked.com/article_18486_the-5-miserable-vfx-jobs-that-make-movies-possible.html -- compliments of this article!

Roto artist -- It's basically tracing. For a long time. No physical effort, its a computer job, and I doubt there's more than necessary people interaction. Not the highest paying job in the world, but it fits all of the other requirements. Bonus: you made a movie come to life!

Production assistant -- Probably more people-intensive, but they'll be abusing you so no need to like them! You play fetch for them, and do things like be a lamp stand, or get coffee, or whatever they need to make their day nicer. You get the satisfaction of doing tasks you already know how to do all day, no learning involved, and simply interact with the few people you need to during filming. You'd probably get paid a biiit more for this. Not much.

Matchmove artists -- Drawing dots on a computer. for hours on end. Even if you have to learn a new computer skill, it won't be much different from the current one, just different system for doing the same thing. No people again!

Render Wrangler -- Stare. That's it! No, really. That's like all you do.

Bonus: Even if you DO get laid off, there's plenty of other studios you can apply to. The job itself won't be out of fashion, since movies WILL still be made. So there's your job security right there! Or at least as much as anyone can get.

Cons> you may have to move to get these jobs. But any data entry job is the same format with slightly different systems. There are companies whos entire jobs are simply to convert a doctor's offices' medical records into digital data so they don't have folders anymore. And going digital is never going out of style so far as I can tell. not in this lifetime. Computers are where it's at for low stress, low people impact, mindless repetitive work, and all those other perks.

Working as a computer technician of some sort can get you a lot of money too, but it would require more learning and keeping up to date with things. But once you know the basics of something, learning the updated versions aren't so bad.

My BEST option for you: Walmart greeter if you live in America. They're everywhere, walmart that is, and the job isn't people-intensive. Sure, you deal with people, but they generally ignore you and walk by. You blindly say "Hello" to people, give out a few stickers and check the occasional receipt for items outside of baggies. A cashier would work as well! They're low stress and repetitive. Bonus: Benefits of being a walmart employee! You could get health insurance, a retirement package, etc. It's a CAREER, working at walmart. You could stay there 20 years and be set for retirement. Truly you could. If you got ambitious later on in life when you snapped out of it, you could move to different departments, or become a manager or something. So you have job stability (walmart is a huge corporation.. so that's as close as you can get in this world.), career potential, and many of the qualities you were looking for except high pay (though you get automatic pay bonuses as you work there longer, so its sort of like a promotion without doing anything at all!)

It seems you're depressed though.. These are more than ample classic signs of depression, if I can be bold enough to say that without causing offense. To me, you ought to try doing the opposite of the things you're looking for. Try an easy job with people, for example. honestly, I think any job would be a good one to get your feet wet. Even if you can't do physical labor at all, receptionist jobs are easy and monotonous. You DO have to work with people, but it's easy mindless people work. "[Insert greeting here] how can I help you? Oh, he's in a meeting. I'll take a message. Thank you, goodbye." (File papers.) Too easy! I think that'd be a good place to start for you.

And I'd probably use that money for some professional help. Someone in their mid-20s wanting the lifestyle of someone who is retired is nearly unheard of.. I haven't read the responses to the thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were a bit nasty. It's a foreign concept for a lot of people. You're asking for something hardly realistic in the scheme of things. (They're there, the kind of jobs you describe.. but they aren't good for you. They really, really aren't.) And I think it's because you're in a rut that you may need help getting out of..

It's true. Your mother won't support you forever. (She may.. but let's not chance that.) Getting a job, any job, and using they money for therapy would be a tremendous leap in the right direction. I have friends who are slowly getting on their feet.. life put them behind everyone else, so I know that it can be hard. But I think you're in the right direction by thinking about a job. Keep taking those baby steps and walking forward. One step at a time. Job, and therapy, are essential. You'll get the hang of things as you go.

A

Anew Leaf

what's an easy career for idiots and lazy people? I need something that's repetitive, I hate learning new things. I prefer to master a skill and use those skills till I retired.

Can't do trade though cause of my health, I'm not physically able to do intense labor.

I'm mid 20s, uneducated(don't care to learn), isolated from people for couple years now so I have hatred build up. So I want a easy job that doesn't deal with people. Prefer to be my own boss and not be watched like a hawk. It'll be great if I can make a lot of money.

Jobs I thought about
1.blue collor but can't due to my health
2. driver: can't cause of my health
3. professional gamble: can't cause I"m not smart enough

I'm starting to believe I can't survive in this world. My parents aren't gonna support me forever. I don't even know how I can keep a job since I can't even take care of my basic needs. If I'm gonna live I'm gonna need some money.

Exotic Dancer in Indonesia where you dance for online clients that you will never meet in person or have to deal with it but you will use the alluring dance of 100000 veils and shake your booty to the tunes of 1980's Madonna and Kris Kros.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
History of this thread:
A- I think you could do X, it's kinda easy.
B- What the f*ck are you talking about, X ain't easy at all.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Um, research is not exactly easy either, and neither is the phd (+undergrad) required to get there. It's about the last thing from what the OP wants - it pays terribly and takes a great deal of work, mental energy and stress, and it is still hard to get a job despite all that....

I know going to grad school isn't easy - I wouldn't go to grad school if someone paid me.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I was about to post about the fact that you didn't read the OP where it was specifically mentioned that "Trades" were not an option but I think I would rather go with this.
I think xenaprincess (and you) are insulting by the fact that you have no idea how much training and licensing are involved with these "easy" careers that were mentioned. I can't speak for the post office option because I have no experience/knowledge there, but everything else mentioned is hardly "easy". Its just you cubicle monkeys that seem to think so.

I agree with you. I get deeply annoyed with people who think trades are easy, when these people are educated and licensed, and may work physically hard, or long hours...or in the case of an electrician, even occasionally put their lives at risk.

It's American stupidity, I think, that de-values the people who actually make the world go round. It's a similar principle to pro athletes being millionaires and teachers getting paid barely enough to survive, meanwhile even Russia has a higher literacy rate than the U.S.

:dry:

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

hm. well, have an opinion, why don't you. I was just trying to help.

I was focusing on the OP's desire to not work with people and learn something that would not become outdated. Of course you have to work with *some* people when a tradesperson, but they tend to be limited interactions (from what I know). As an architect and homeowner I do deal with tradespeople in my life. AND I RESPECT THEM!

I did not mean to say these trades were 'easy'. SORRY. I guess I should have prefaced that, too. Good lord.

I do not understand taking what was intended as a helpful post and then using it as a launching pad to insult someone directly. Take a chill, people.

Ponyboy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I do not understand taking what was intended as a helpful post and then using it as a launching pad to insult someone directly. Take a chill, people.

You're right, I shouldn't have phrased it as I did so I apologize for that but it did look to me that it was just saying that people in the trades are just a bunch of dummies which is an attitude that gets old.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're right, I shouldn't have phrased it as I did so I apologize for that but it did look to me that it was just saying that people in the trades are just a bunch of dummies which is an attitude that gets old.

No worries, I'm glad we're all ok about it...Actually I most of the guys I meet on site (contractors, plumbers, electricians) are very proud of their work and they are happy/content. Much happier than any office people I know of.

I think in essence, no job is really 'easy'. And if there were something like that, it would not pay well.

The economic climate also makes this topic very delicate. :peepwall:

Ponyboy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
No worries, I'm glad we're all ok about it

Yep, glad we're ok too :) I've been a grump lately and it stinks!!

Resuming thread.......

......I'm kind of happy that "thread-poster" isn't an easy career cuz I sometimes really suck at it! :)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yes but that's still physical labor. Landscaping is an art form, I mean good lord, I have a friend who went to school in NC for agriculture/landscaping.

I can't believe people imagine that something like landscaping would be "easy" especially since this dude has said he's too unhealthy to do physical labor.

This guy is qualified for little more than stuffing envelopes with the mentally challenged people at Goodwill industries.

Yeah, gardening and landscaping do require either experience, talent or schooling (am best a combination of those, of course).

Perhaps filling shelves might fit the OP's description? It is physically fatiguining, however responsability is low and you usually can support yourself.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Data entry/ office job...

Lots of humor in that too with shows like the Office and movies like Office Space and whatnot.
You could make a documentary while you are at it and possibly end up in show biz or turn the mundane stuff into awesomeness if you become less depressed/Debbie Downer/ more motivated later on. Or be a person that gives the funny stories to your bored, intelligent, more witty cohorts. At the end of the day I'm sure something good will come out of your stuck in a rut skills. We need warm bodies in half cubicles I suppose.

Try something like Liberty Mutual, pays too much, very little room for creativity or initiative. You just go and do a really specific minor job all day. As far as I've heard from friends, (even the skilled ones, engineers, etc.) you're basically just an overpaid bot.

G

garbage

Research is a pretty sweet gig once you've gotten the Ph.D. and enough of a reputation to bring work in for yourself; at that point, it's virtually as easy or challenging/rewarding as you want to make it. But it requires a shitton of upfront work and finding an employer/university that's a good fit.

Some sort of data entry seems right for the OP, especially if it's a position that can be done from home.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm going with the suggestion of walmart greeter... the ones at the one around the corner from my house just sit around reading the paper and don't even bother greeting anyone who comes in :thumbdown:

sign holder... you sit around holding a sign for a company :holy:

security guard... most of the ones I talk to do very little over the course of a day... I've met several who are missing an appendage or are rather severely overweight... if they can do it, I'm guessing it can't be that physically tasking :shrug:

human lab rat... volunteer to be poked and prodded and get paid for it... :thinking:... sounds rather easy but doesn't sound like the BEST idea...

... yeah... those are the first jobs that come to mind that don't require much education OR strenuous labor of any sort! I'd suggest working on yourself first and THEN finding a better job though :yes:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Research is a pretty sweet gig once you've gotten the Ph.D. and enough of a reputation to bring work in for yourself; at that point, it's virtually as easy or challenging/rewarding as you want to make it. But it requires a shitton of upfront work and finding an employer/university that's a good fit.

Maybe in the arts? (and good luck fighting off the competition there). Not in science, unless you really luck out with a lazy government job or something (not many of those around these days). Industry and academia will both require you to work your ass off for decades. The image of the tenured prof sitting in his office doing nothing is pretty far from reality in my experience.