User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Greeters are being reduced.

Wal-Mart cuts back on greeters
    The retail behemoth has been phasing out greeters on the late-night shift at its 3,000-plus US supercenters.
    By Karen Datko Jan 25, 2012

When you go to Wally World late at night, don't expect to hear "Welcome to Wal-Mart" when you walk through the door.

The nation's largest private employer has been eliminating greeters on the 10 p.m.-to-7 a.m. shift at its 3,000-plus supercenters over the last six months, "chipping away at a 30-year tradition of making sure all shoppers are welcomed to the store," Bloomberg reports. Most supercenters are open 24 hours a day.

Cost cutting has much to do with this. "Same-store sales at Wal-Mart's namesake U.S. locations declined for nine straight quarters before snapping the streak with a 1.3% gain for the quarter ended in October," Bloomberg says.

The greeters have been moved to other jobs, like stocking shelves.

Greeters have been a fixture and the face of Wal-Mart for many years, but I'm betting that some of those greeters welcome the change. A greeter has what's probably one of the toughest jobs in the store -- being on your feet all day, blasted by outside heat and cold through the open doors, and saying the same thing over and over again.

Full story: http://money.msn.com/saving-money-ti...9-870054e6a2f5
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Maybe in the arts? (and good luck fighting off the competition there). Not in science, unless you really luck out with a lazy government job or something (not many of those around these days). Industry and academia will both require you to work your ass off for decades. The image of the tenured prof sitting in his office doing nothing is pretty far from reality in my experience.
    Yeah, I'm carefully caveating my statement (e.g. "finding the right university") because I definitely know that my experiences don't reflect all of research. Many universities have extremely strict "publish or perish" rules, many others demand that you bring in grant money that amounts to multiple times your own salary, and so on.

Some universities also differentiate the roles of research and academia/faculty/teaching more than others, too. My experience is with scientific research, touching upon the arts, in a university that separates research and faculty positions to a large degree. Some university research centers operate as if individual researchers are individual entrepreneurs, which means that they're responsible for themselves (and business development can be a bitch) but that they have a good amount of flexibility. In those positions, once they have a name for themselves in some valuable area of their expertise, they can basically ride that to sustain themselves (business development is much less of a bitch) if they so choose--or they can choose to branch out, to expand their enterprise, so to speak. However, even getting to the point where they have a name for themselves does take a tremendous amount of work upfront.

There are tremendous disadvantages, too; chief among them are that the positions aren't easy to come by and the jobs aren't portable.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

If you were in Brazil, I think you could try to work for the government. You would need to pass a test, which is very competitive, but once you're there, you're there for your whole life! They can't fire you! They can't ever fire you! Unless you really screw things up, or do something ilegal. Basically, you have that job until you get retired. But there's nothing against being slow, for example. On the forums (idk if this is the right english word) and banks, people sometimes are very slow and, at least in the forums, disorganized and not necessarily nice.

I'm not sure of how it works there, but from what people have told me: it usually doesn't have very complicated stuff to do; there are people who (I don't know how) manage to don't go to work for several days, or months; you have free health care for you and your kids; you have many benefits, and etc. If you are a good employee, you may be promoted, but you can keep your position if you want (or if you're not a good employee). You don't make loads of money, but you can have a nice life. My uncle and aunt are public employees.

Maybe your country has something like that.

Yeah, many people here are taking the thread as a joke, but I took it seriously. xD

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

@Elfa... I do believe that the american equivalent is suggesting that he check into a job with his state's Bureau of Motor Vehicles
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    @Elfa... I do believe that the american equivalent is suggesting that he check into a job with his state's Bureau of Motor Vehicles
    And so we found a career for the OP.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Elfa View Post
    And so we found a career for the OP.
    indeed... a career that pays decently, you aren't EXPECTED to be fast or nice or even fully competent and you get to take terrible pictures of people that everyone gets to laugh at for the next 4 years and people HAVE to be nice to you because if you aren't you could do something horrible with their paperwork

also, a good deal of the work is now being done through the internet, so there's less dealing with people
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

@think2much... Hum... Taking now the thread a little more seriously, we may have found a nice possibility of job for you, but, as @SilkRoad said, maybe you should take care of yourself first? I feel sad that you call yourself lazy and stupid, and I'm really sorry for that.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    how about aiming lower? like forget the job, and try to get on something like welfare?.
    This is the ultimate in easy. i think mmhmm still has the best suggestion/solution.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    You're thinking about life completely wrong.

I'll give you my back up career.

Mental illness.

You sit around all day doing nothing...but you can do anything as long as you're not physically hurting yourself or others. The people around you are interesting, (some quite brilliant in their own way). Food, clothes, and shelter are provided for you...your job is to simply fake a mental disorder, which is easy enough...everyone is crazy.

And mental institutions can be very swanky places.

Quote Originally Posted by xenaprincess View Post
    that's a pretty good suggestion, actually.

There's a This American Life episode where a guy fakes that he's crazy to enter an asylum. Not because he's lazy, though. But it turns out he's a psychopath, and they won't let him out.
    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...ode/385/pro-se

You guys have obv. never even been NEAR a mental institution to even think that's a good idea.

talk about hard work and NON swanky.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

Society

Quote Originally Posted by think2much View Post
    I don't even know how I can keep a job since I can't even take care of my basic needs. If I'm gonna live I'm gonna need some money.
    sign up to be a secret shopper: you'll get paid for service reviews, plus free meals.
    http://www.mystery-shoppers.com/

grow your hair:
    http://www.everywaytomakemoney.com/selling-hair.html

masturbate - into a lot of cups:
    http://www.infobarrel.com/How_Much_M...Make_Over_1000

take random photo's:
    http://www.shutterstock.com/?cnn=yes

take online surveys:
    http://www.101waystomakemoney.com/ma...uestionnaires/

and since your health sucks anyway...
    http://www.unusualwaystomakemoney.co...inea-pigs.html

etc....

MBTI
    ENFJ

I didn't read all 7 pages, but here are my quick thoughts.

Nothing worth it in this life comes easy. Nothing. If you want to be a rich person, then learn how to maximize the money you make and minimize the money you spend. It's much easier said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    The most hilarious part is that he thinks he can make a lot of money without either acquiring a skill or trade, or being fairly ambitious, or at least doing something that requires directly hustling selling things to people.
    This. Sooooo much.

Quote Originally Posted by think2much View Post
    You misunderstood me. Never said I didn't wanted to learn a skill. I would prefer to learn a skill actully just never consistent. For example if I suffer couple yrs to learn a computer language it wouldn't matter in 10yrs. Nobody would be using the same language, I don't wanna consistently learn new things.
    Here is the thing, because it's very relevant to my career. In high school (over 10 years ago), I was learning C++. C++ is still very relevant today. I learned Java early in my college career and Java is incredibly relevant today. There are other more esoteric languages such as Fortran and Cobol, where the knowledge of such earns a very nice paycheck in some niche situations. So your assumption is flawed.

If you want to be successful in life, get used to change and adaptation. Yes, it's hard, but it's well worth it.