Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
    I was about to post about the fact that you didn't read the OP where it was specifically mentioned that "Trades" were not an option but I think I would rather go with this.
    I think xenaprincess (and you) are insulting by the fact that you have no idea how much training and licensing are involved with these "easy" careers that were mentioned. I can't speak for the post office option because I have no experience/knowledge there, but everything else mentioned is hardly "easy". Its just you cubicle monkeys that seem to think so.
    I agree with you. I get deeply annoyed with people who think trades are easy, when these people are educated and licensed, and may work physically hard, or long hours...or in the case of an electrician, even occasionally put their lives at risk.

It's American stupidity, I think, that de-values the people who actually make the world go round. It's a similar principle to pro athletes being millionaires and teachers getting paid barely enough to survive, meanwhile even Russia has a higher literacy rate than the U.S.

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    6w5

That may have been the dumbest post I have ever seen in my life. I'm guessing you work in an office (if you work) and have no connection with reality? You missed the mark completely, and barely managed to get within the stereotypes! Jeez, get a clue before you start defining jobs you clearly know nothing about!!
    hm. well, have an opinion, why don't you. I was just trying to help.

I was focusing on the OP's desire to not work with people and learn something that would not become outdated. Of course you have to work with *some* people when a tradesperson, but they tend to be limited interactions (from what I know). As an architect and homeowner I do deal with tradespeople in my life. AND I RESPECT THEM!

I did not mean to say these trades were 'easy'. SORRY. I guess I should have prefaced that, too. Good lord.

I do not understand taking what was intended as a helpful post and then using it as a launching pad to insult someone directly. Take a chill, people.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by xenaprincess View Post
    I do not understand taking what was intended as a helpful post and then using it as a launching pad to insult someone directly. Take a chill, people.
    You're right, I shouldn't have phrased it as I did so I apologize for that but it did look to me that it was just saying that people in the trades are just a bunch of dummies which is an attitude that gets old.
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    6w5

You're right, I shouldn't have phrased it as I did so I apologize for that but it did look to me that it was just saying that people in the trades are just a bunch of dummies which is an attitude that gets old.
    No worries, I'm glad we're all ok about it...Actually I most of the guys I meet on site (contractors, plumbers, electricians) are very proud of their work and they are happy/content. Much happier than any office people I know of.

I think in essence, no job is really 'easy'. And if there were something like that, it would not pay well.

The economic climate also makes this topic very delicate.

Insert witty line here... Ponyboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by xenaprincess View Post
    No worries, I'm glad we're all ok about it
    Yep, glad we're ok too I've been a grump lately and it stinks!!

Resuming thread.......

......I'm kind of happy that "thread-poster" isn't an easy career cuz I sometimes really suck at it!
    I'm never wrong, I'm just sometimes less right

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yes but that's still physical labor. Landscaping is an art form, I mean good lord, I have a friend who went to school in NC for agriculture/landscaping.

I can't believe people imagine that something like landscaping would be "easy" especially since this dude has said he's too unhealthy to do physical labor.

This guy is qualified for little more than stuffing envelopes with the mentally challenged people at Goodwill industries.
    Yeah, gardening and landscaping do require either experience, talent or schooling (am best a combination of those, of course).

Perhaps filling shelves might fit the OP's description? It is physically fatiguining, however responsability is low and you usually can support yourself.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Data entry/ office job...

Lots of humor in that too with shows like the Office and movies like Office Space and whatnot.
    You could make a documentary while you are at it and possibly end up in show biz or turn the mundane stuff into awesomeness if you become less depressed/Debbie Downer/ more motivated later on. Or be a person that gives the funny stories to your bored, intelligent, more witty cohorts. At the end of the day I'm sure something good will come out of your stuck in a rut skills. We need warm bodies in half cubicles I suppose.

Try something like Liberty Mutual, pays too much, very little room for creativity or initiative. You just go and do a really specific minor job all day. As far as I've heard from friends, (even the skilled ones, engineers, etc.) you're basically just an overpaid bot.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Um, research is not exactly easy either, and neither is the phd (+undergrad) required to get there. It's about the last thing from what the OP wants - it pays terribly and takes a great deal of work, mental energy and stress, and it is still hard to get a job despite all that....
    Research is a pretty sweet gig once you've gotten the Ph.D. and enough of a reputation to bring work in for yourself; at that point, it's virtually as easy or challenging/rewarding as you want to make it. But it requires a shitton of upfront work and finding an employer/university that's a good fit.

Some sort of data entry seems right for the OP, especially if it's a position that can be done from home.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm going with the suggestion of walmart greeter... the ones at the one around the corner from my house just sit around reading the paper and don't even bother greeting anyone who comes in

sign holder... you sit around holding a sign for a company

security guard... most of the ones I talk to do very little over the course of a day... I've met several who are missing an appendage or are rather severely overweight... if they can do it, I'm guessing it can't be that physically tasking

human lab rat... volunteer to be poked and prodded and get paid for it... ... sounds rather easy but doesn't sound like the BEST idea...

... yeah... those are the first jobs that come to mind that don't require much education OR strenuous labor of any sort! I'd suggest working on yourself first and THEN finding a better job though
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Research is a pretty sweet gig once you've gotten the Ph.D. and enough of a reputation to bring work in for yourself; at that point, it's virtually as easy or challenging/rewarding as you want to make it. But it requires a shitton of upfront work and finding an employer/university that's a good fit.
    Maybe in the arts? (and good luck fighting off the competition there). Not in science, unless you really luck out with a lazy government job or something (not many of those around these days). Industry and academia will both require you to work your ass off for decades. The image of the tenured prof sitting in his office doing nothing is pretty far from reality in my experience.
    -end of thread-