User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 31

  1. #11
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    My gut reaction is ISFJ or ESFJ, but I am really not too good at typing others, whether IRL or from others' descriptions.

    Marm might have a point. It does seem sometimes like everyone thinks they are INFJ, which occasionally makes me question whether that's really what I am. One of the things that reassures me that I probably am is that I tested that way, and self-identified with descriptions, well before I realised how SPESHUL it was supposed to be to be INFJ - so I had nothing invested in it.

    A bit off topic, but along those lines I'm just thinking of the occasional times someone on my Facebook friends list has posted about their MBTI type. A guy I know posted about being ENFJ, which I think suits him very well, but later he seemed to be reconsidering and thinking INFJ, which I think is...possible, but quite a bit less likely than ENFJ. But when he posted about being INFJ, several mutual acquaintances were like "oh yeah! I'm an INFJ too!" And really, with a couple of them I was like...huh? I could have seen ESFP, ESFJ, ISFJ, maybe ENFP for them, but never in a million years INFJ. So it just made me wonder if it was a bit of a SPESHUL thing, again.

    But then, what do I really know? These were not people I really knew, and they were part of a social group where everyone seemed to want to act as ESFP as possible...so maybe they were INFJs with a desperate desire to fit in...but I'm not quite sure how that works...
    Well I think the assessment of her being a "not very bright" INFJ is really not an issue here, the issue is she simply wants facts and data before theory. It makes perfect sense to me that an Ne dom an Si dom would conflict over that in a work setting, because the Si dom really would need the facts first, or want to piece together a more linear, cohesive timeline BEFORE accepting an Ne theory.

    When I was like seventeen I tested as INFJ...because that's what I thought I SHOULD answer. I was raised by SJ grandparents who were constantly bemoaning my spontaneity, impulsiveness, and ability to simply walk away from something before it was "finished" in their mind. I remember being told as young as twelve years old "good lord you never finish ANYTHING" and in high school "you just don't like rules" (rejection of inferior Te, methinks). I also wanted to experience everything for myself instead of taking advice, which is probably due to Se.

    But a lot of questions and myths about INFJ are leading, they actually can be connected to the way SFPs use Ni ...in a more "mystical" way, since Ni isn't a dom or aux function, Ni seems more ethereal and mysterious, especially to a young SFP. Jung even cites the Se dom as having "superstitious religiosity" full of "abstruse rites and rituals" ...and, uh, yeah...that sounds just like young me.

    Anyway, I think I thought I *should* be J in an MBTI sense, because as an adult, one of my absolutely strongest letters is P. I mean, I'm pretty sure that's because I know myself better now and have examples of living my own life, instead of projecting what I was taught was correct or ideal.

    However, I think this is an Si type because of her preference for facts, not just because of her taste in books (I mean there are sensor writers in the canon of great literature, she doesn't read only The Hunger Games because she's a sensor) ...and I would vote Fe over Fi because of her attitude toward morality and how it should be applied to others.

  2. #12
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    In response to @Kai and @Marmie Dearest, I agree, the N answers to test questions can sound "better", or it's what people think they "should" be. (When I started looking into enneagram, I was pretty sure I "should" be a 4 because of being INFJ, and I felt a bit weird when I realised that 6 was a lot more likely, because of all the "fear" and "anxiety" and just the general bad rep!)

    People in general are not all that self-aware (actually, one of the best things about MBTI for me is that it has helped with my self-awareness, a lot) and so I think it is very very easy to answer test questions in terms of what you think you should be or what you want to be, rather than what you ARE. In fact, I think this can often throw people's results off quite majorly. For instance, maybe you are an INFP but you have close friends or family who are INTJ, and you really admire them and feel they have qualities you lack. Especially the way the questions are phrased in some tests, you could end up getting an INTJ result even if you definitely are not that type, because those are the qualities and the approaches that you feel you should aspire to.

    Sorry Huxley, probably derailing a bit here.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  3. #13
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    PS. I find it really weird that an ISFJ would be bored by psychology... I just can't comprehend it. I can understand if they feel that there's more important things to do besides psychology, but we're talking about understanding other people, Fe. Unless her mum has painted her this picture that psychology is purely neuroscience or something like that.
    Well, there is a bit of a lack of SJs on boards such as this. It could be partly because some people mistype. But I tended to think that SJs find psychology isn't necessarily real-world enough? Too theoretical, not practical enough? In some cases, anyway. But I agree, you'd think ISFJs would be interested in people issues.

    Of course, there could also be plenty of SJs out there who are interested in psychology but just don't spend their time on TypeC and the like.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  4. #14
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Well, there is a bit of a lack of SJs on boards such as this. It could be partly because some people mistype. But I tended to think that SJs find psychology isn't necessarily real-world enough? Too theoretical, not practical enough? In some cases, anyway. But I agree, you'd think ISFJs would be interested in people issues.

    Of course, there could also be plenty of SJs out there who are interested in psychology but just don't spend their time on TypeC and the like.
    Guess it's one of those subjects where people think that they don't need it because they'll pick it up anyway in their life time.

    Sigh, I wish I knew how it was really viewed by the general public about it being too theoretical/not practical enough. It's hard for me to say, since it's obvious to anybody on these sort of websites the massive amount of benefit psychology has in general on understanding other people. Even the boss in question acknowledges this, given that she reads self-help and manager style books. I'll have a look on PersonalityCafe.

    Might dig around on PsychINFO as well. I'd be surprised if people haven't written journals about people's attitudes towards psychology as a subject. It seems like the most obvious dissertation/thesis topic.

  5. #15
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Well, there is a bit of a lack of SJs on boards such as this. It could be partly because some people mistype. But I tended to think that SJs find psychology isn't necessarily real-world enough? Too theoretical, not practical enough? In some cases, anyway. But I agree, you'd think ISFJs would be interested in people issues.

    Of course, there could also be plenty of SJs out there who are interested in psychology but just don't spend their time on TypeC and the like.
    I think it's because there are a lot of mistyped people. I see more SJs and SPs on other personality boards, this one is pretty infested with people who believe they are Ns. Like...there are SOOO many ISFPs and ISFJs and ISTPs on Personality Cafe. Even on the Keirsey boards two of the most frequent posters are SJs, and another couple are SPs, with a smattering of NFs and NTs...it actually seems pretty strangely balanced on the Keirsey boards, because it's such a small group. Keirsey even goes by "persona" (so I go by Artisan Performer rather than Composer there, because I'm expressive in my "role".)

    JTG1984 loves psychology and he's an ISTJ. He lists it as one of his main interests on facebook beside health/fitness and dogs.

  6. #16
    can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    3,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    P.S. I think her psychology Ph.D. mother probably WANTED her daughter to be INFJ and "special" or some garbage like that, so yeah I wouldn't hang too much on that either.
    This occurred to me as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    One of the things that reassures me that I probably am is that I tested that way, and self-identified with descriptions, well before I realised how SPESHUL it was supposed to be to be INFJ - so I had nothing invested in it.
    Seriously. It wasn't until I stumbled into the fb INFJ groups a couple of years ago that I knew anything about this. ( ) I knew there was an N elitism, but had no idea there was an amplified version of it around INFJ.

    [edit to add:]

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Well I think the assessment of her being a "not very bright" INFJ is really not an issue here, the issue is she simply wants facts and data before theory. It makes perfect sense to me that an Ne dom an Si dom would conflict over that in a work setting, because the Si dom really would need the facts first, or want to piece together a more linear, cohesive timeline BEFORE accepting an Ne theory.
    I can only speak for myself, but when I made the comment I was referring to the crudeness of her 'direction'. When I read the thing about withholding funds because she didn't like the boyfriend, my first thought was either Te'er (because it's just not where their focus goes) or 'not very bright' Fe'er. It had nothing to do with the first paragraph of the op. [Further edit:] And also the thing about getting manipulative with facebook (or whatever the op said)- that just smacks of "not very bright Fe'er" to me.
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

    5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

  7. #17
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    Seriously. It wasn't until I stumbled into the fb INFJ groups a couple of years ago that I knew anything about this. ( ) I knew there was an N elitism, but had no idea there was an amplified version of it around INFJ.
    Ah yes. "I'm special, broken, psychic and precious, and I HATE all ESTJs, so I must be an INFJ!"

    Well, those groups can be an entertaining read on the days when I feel messed up, and I need to remind myself that I'm not so bad after all...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

  8. #18
    Senior Member wildflower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    318

    Default

    as far as understanding your boss i'd go by who she is rather than mbti. if she needs facts and data to function best then i'd give her facts and data. as far as her type maybe she is isfj as others have mentioned altho i'm not sure they are terribly into partying or gambling either. when you say that introversion is related to social deficiency you may be confusing introversion with shyness. they aren't the same thing altho they can appear that way at times.

  9. #19
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    well, if we take Ni & Fe from the first and third paragraphs - we can know she has Se and Ti...

    so that leaves us with:
    Fe Ni Se Ti = ENFJ
    Ni Fe Ti Se = INFJ
    Se Ti Fe Ni = ESTP
    Ti Se Ni Fe = ISTP

    if we then take that she's both a Judger and an introvert... we are left with INFJ by a process of elimination...

    first, we don't actually know if this is wholy a bad choice as it seems in the surface, because depending on circumstances she might not be telling her daughter "its my way or don't go to college", she might be telling her "if you want it your way you better use your own means and work your ass off throughout college". likewise, as far as we know her daughter might not actually be studying a profession but is doing something for fun - she could be majoring in the influences of balkan poetry over cultural trends in the romantic era for all we know, which is not something i'd be against as a parent but is definetly something i would consider a luxery.
    second, as parents you always meddles into what they do or dont give their children, it starts when the child looses toy privllages for hitting someone in school, doesn't get candy if he doesn't eat his vagtables, and yes, as the children grow up so can the problems and so can the meddling. if my son would grow to date a cocaine whore taking him to partying with a gang that happens to be an actual gang, i think i can safelty trust that my INFJ exwife would think twice before giving him the car for the weekend.
    third, let's stop with the true-scotsman fallacy, INFJs are entirely capable - just like ENTPs and any other type, person or animal on this planet - of making bad choices, even on the holy sensitive subject of parenting.

  10. #20
    Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    well, if we take Ni & Fe from the first and third paragraphs - we can know she has Se and Ti...

    so that leaves us with:
    Fe Ni Se Ti = ENFJ
    Ni Fe Ti Se = INFJ
    Se Ti Fe Ni = ESTP
    Ti Se Ni Fe = ISTP

    if we then take that she's both a Judger and an introvert... we are left with INFJ by a process of elimination...

    first, we don't actually know if this is wholy a bad choice as it seems in the surface, because depending on circumstances she might not be telling her daughter "its my way or don't go to college", she might be telling her "if you want it your way you better use your own means and work your ass off throughout college". likewise, as far as we know her daughter might not actually be studying a profession but is doing something for fun - she could be majoring in the influences of balkan poetry over cultural trends in the romantic era for all we know, which is not something i'd be against as a parent but is definetly something i would consider a luxery.
    second, as parents you always meddles into what they do or dont give their children, it starts when the child looses toy privllages for hitting someone in school, doesn't get candy if he doesn't eat his vagtables, and yes, as the children grow up so can the problems and so can the meddling. if my son would grow to date a cocaine whore taking him to partying with a gang that happens to be an actual gang, i think i can safelty trust that my INFJ exwife would think twice before giving him the car for the weekend.
    third, let's stop with the true-scotsman fallacy, INFJs are entirely capable - just like ENTPs and any other type, person or animal on this planet - of making bad choices, even on the holy sensitive subject of parenting.
    Two questions:

    a) Who said INFJs are incapable of making bad choices? Please provide an example of where this has been said in this thread.

    b) How did you get Ni from the first paragraph?
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx


    I DOORSLAMMING

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] Help me understand my angry INFJ parents
    By Kho in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-02-2016, 12:24 AM
  2. Help me understand my friend
    By Flux in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2011, 11:26 AM
  3. [INFJ] Need help understanding my INFJ mom.
    By deleyd in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 09:07 AM
  4. [ISFJ] Help me understand and respect my ISFJ mate?
    By crandolph in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-16-2008, 03:22 PM
  5. Help me understand my son
    By alicia91 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 08:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO