User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Default Ne / Visual pattern recognition?

I wanted to ask you something: is Ne directly responsible for visual pattern recognition? Lately I've noticed it's something I do in a heartbeat, while other people have difficulty and take longer time than me. I would like to identify what it is, because maybe there is some profession or job more adequate for me (in comparison to the one I have right now, that is really pushing on my Te).

So, first there was this art exhibition and I was looking for ticket price and times on the internet, with an ESTP colleague. So then this picture can up and I said: "oh, so cool, it's China!" .....and she was super amazed and would not leave it alone, we went for coffee later and she was still talking about it. She was convinced that I had either cheated or that I was super intelligent, but I was looking at her amazed going "come on, its so obvious it's jumping out of my eyes...it's China!"

Then on Facebook a friend of mine (INFJ) posted this picture:

I saw it right away....actually first I noticed the Simpsons, but I thought it couldn't be, and then I saw the prisioner stripes of the Dalton brothers on the bottom, my eyes came back on top to identify the Simpsons and the Ninja turtles on the side. All of this immediately. And normally, for me. But the point is, all my friends that replied to that picture said it was super difficult and that it took them a long time.

So....what is this quality? I don't mean to be arrogant and brag about it, I just want to know where I can use it. Professionally.

Also, was this obvious to you too (other ENFPs)? And do you have other examples, so I(we) can test myself(ourselves)?

Thanks!!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4W5 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm not sure how hard this picture was supposed to be. It wasn't hard for me. I did score the best on the pattern-recognition section on the IQ test, though, if that says anything. I've always wondered the same thing.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Pretty obvious to me too (before reading anything that you wrote too) but I don't know if this purely a Ne skill. I'd like to think it was, because Ne's got to be good for something beyond crazy leaps of imagination (ie. silliness).
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

OP: I dunno, but I typically "live in Ne" and consider pattern-recognition to be a strong skill, and both of those pics were obvious to me too. I saw the latter on Facebook last night, got the Simpsons almost immediately, and the only ones I didn't get were ones before my childhood. (I recognized Asterix but I didn't know his name at the time, I just remember seeing pictures of the cartoon characters. And the last image, I didn't recognize at all. All the others, I got almost immediately.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4W5 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

It's Lucky Luke and the Daltons. I saw it on a bus once in Taiwan.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

ok, so far so good, there seems to be a connection to Ne. now i just need non Ne users to start posting so we can understand if its exclusive to Ne or not....

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Nah, I'm notoriously bad at visual pattern reconition. I invariably see things, but I only rarely see things that the presenters wanted me to see. I'm also very bad at lip reading. I think it's all tied into me not being able to pick out the 'correct' context.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm bad with pictures (Se-tard). But I think I would do good with words.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Nah, I'm notoriously bad at visual pattern reconition. I invariably see things, but I only rarely see things that the presenters wanted me to see. I'm also very bad at lip reading. I think it's all tied into me not being able to pick out the 'correct' context.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I got a lot of the little Lego block characters, but not all. Of course it was also dependent on how familiar I was with those characters in the first place. If I knew the characters reasonably well I probably got them almost right away. Recognising country shapes is probably something I'm good at depending on how interested I am in those countries. My geography/country shape recognition is far better in Europe than in South America, for instance.

I'm the kind of person who has a hard time remembering faces and names, but patterns, logos, symbols, words etc jump right out at me. Put it this way: if I walked past Bono in the street, there's a good chance I wouldn't recognise him (though I know quite well what he looks like), but I'd notice right away if he was wearing a U2 t-shirt...it's weird.

Sometimes I've noticed visual things I'm surprised no one else does. I noticed once that a photo in a book I'd taken out from the library matched a drawing in a book that many of my family and friends were familiar with (ie. the drawing had been directly based on the photo), and no one else saw it when I showed them the photo, until I laid them side by side and spelled it out to them.

I'm definitely Ni rather than Ne, though. I don't know if these are simply N tendencies or not really type-related. I think you could put forth a convincing argument that it's related to Se or Si, as well.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING