• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Is INFP the airhead type?

neo

I did three tests tonight, on two I got INFP and one INFJ. Then I was told by someone that INFP was the 'retard' type.

I read several descriptions of INFP and I think that while some parts relate to me the whole type just seems to be ridiculous. I can be imaginative but I have no problem translating my imagination and ideals into actionable plan and strategy. I don't just day dream.

Anonymous

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I did three tests tonight, on two I got INFP and one INFJ. Then I was told by someone that INFP was the 'retard' type.

I read several descriptions of INFP and I think that while some parts relate to me the whole type just seems to be ridiculous. I can be imaginative but I have no problem translating my imagination and ideals into actionable plan and strategy. I don't just day dream.

1) Yeah, if it's possible to tell from a single post, I'd say that you aren't an INFP.
2) INFP is the "retard type"? Has MBTI become popular in WoW or something?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Air heads? More like... murcury, if that makes any sense.

I think that NFP's in general have sort of an "air head" paradox, where they may seem totally frivolous and maybe even excessivley bubbly (not me, though), but are really much more deep and complex. Like Don Quixote.

neo

2) INFP is the "retard type"? Has MBTI become popular in WoW or something?

Actually the person who said that is a WoW player. :D

I'm still not convinced about the result or mbti to be honest. Are there any tests to prove anything it says? Like with astrology where they give out random descriptions, ask the person how accurate they are then correlate them with their actual star sign.

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
neo said:
I did three tests tonight, on two I got INFP and one INFJ.

Welcome to the study of MBTI.

neo said:
Then I was told by someone that INFP was the 'retard' type.

Their lack of understanding is clear, and I don't say that just because I type as INFP. ;)

neo said:
I read several descriptions of INFP and I think that while some parts relate to me the whole type just seems to be ridiculous.

First, the description of any type is nothing more than an abstraction. In as much as this is true, it will describe any given person only in part, and the degree to which it does so will vary just as each person does from one another. Also, the various abstracted descriptions of the types vary between and among one another. To this end, they may or may not speak to a given individual.

As it concerns your judgement of the whole type just seeming to be ridiculous, I appreciate your statement of values. That said, know that each type is as valid as any other as it concerns MBTI, personal thoughts and feelings notwithstanding.

neo said:
I can be imaginative but I have no problem translating my imagination and ideals into actionable plan and strategy. I don't just day dream.

The same can be said for many INFPs and INFJs.

neo said:
I'm still not convinced about the result or mbti to be honest.

I value a healthy skepticism, and indeed, many people question their results and MBTI itself.

neo said:
Are there any tests to prove anything it says? Like with astrology where they give out random descriptions, ask the person how accurate they are then correlate them with their actual star sign.

All that is required is your inquiry and discernment. You could seek out someone licensed by MBTI and have an assessment done, but in the end, you are the one who decides your own type, if any at all. You are your own proof.

MBTI is not like astrology, but it isn't hard science either.

cheers,
Ian

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't know. None of the suspected-INFPs I've met (and known well enough to try and type) have been airheads at all. Perhaps it just speaks to the type of people I know, but they have tended to be more of the romantics, or the angsty romantics, or the snarky secret-idealists.

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
This is the part that doesn't describe me at all. My head is, has been, and always will be level. In fact, I'm pretty much grounded. I don't have my head anywhere near the clouds at all.

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
This is the part that doesn't describe me at all. My head is, has been, and always will be level. In fact, I'm pretty much grounded. I don't have my head anywhere near the clouds at all.

Well, the best way to figure out S vs N is basically ask 'I'm I in my head a lot of the time, or am I deeply ingrained in my environment?' Sensors prefer what they can sense with the 5 senses, Intuitors prefer what they can get from what they sense (Weird ideas, neat plans, what have you)

I myself only get type satisfaction from being a border type anyways (Somewhere around NFP I would guess) and don't use MBTI as a law, but as a nifty insight 'Oh, that explains it, now I have vocabulary for some stuff!'

Besides, MBTI is all theory and observation, and as Jung said 'Every person is an exception to the rule.'

(I think you're ISFP, personally)

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
That's what I meant. I do live in my head, but not overly so or textbook. I've been having second thoughts about this whole typing thing. It's making me insane trying to figure out this and that. I just don't think I get it anymore. I guess I need to read more on ISFP.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I wonder if your skepticism is coming from a negative external view of INFPs from your friend.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
INFP isn't the retard type, they're just the most likely to FEEL retarded.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
That's what I meant. I do live in my head, but not overly so or textbook. I've been having second thoughts about this whole typing thing. It's making me insane trying to figure out this and that. I just don't think I get it anymore. I guess I need to read more on ISFP.

ISFPs are actually quite similar to INFPs. But slightly more organised, and even less confrontational. They are not a bad type to be.

The best clue is probably Ne. If you feel out of place amongst the stupidity started by the NPs in the thread I've linked below, then you are probably ISFP.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/6200-tangents-tangents-more-tangents.html

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I dunno... I think my type can be prone to omitting to take actual realities and facts into account once we get knee deep in our visions... which does tend to conflict somewhat with the other native tendency of rational pragmatism... go figure.

I reckon INFP's only SEEM dappy, but in reality I think that's because many of their less fluffy sentiments are kept to themselves, generally...

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
friendly + whimsical = airhead-esque
but after this impression has been made, watch the subject slowly turn himself into stone;
cold and full of mystic activity

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Then I was told by someone that INFP was the 'retard' type.

Hahaa! :yes: If by retard you mean the guy that first jumps on furniture and then debates philosophy, then yes.

I read several descriptions of INFP and I think that while some parts relate to me the whole type just seems to be ridiculous.

You're funny, please tell me more.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
there is no such thing as an airhead type. if by airhead you mean retarded then no, there is no airhead type.