• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Is INFP the airhead type?

saieditor

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Hahaa! :yes: If by retard you mean the guy that first jumps on furniture and then debates philosophy, then yes.

You're funny, please tell me more.

Over here, when some people run type presentations, they give examples of a certain SP type as the ones who jump on the furniture.

In all seriousness, that comment about retards is inept, and only says something about the person who said it. Projection, if you ask me. :shocked:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I reckon INFP's only SEEM dappy, but in reality I think that's because many of their less fluffy sentiments are kept to themselves, generally...

It's called not throwing your heart in the water when you see large fins circling.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I always feel like I need to get more information..in other words, I feel that I should always be learning something, and I always crave to learn more. I wouldn't say that I'm an airhead..but other people may perceive me as one, for my lack of paying attention.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most of us know there is no "retard type". And if there was a retard type, it certainly wouldn't be INFP.

I heard on average INFPs were in the top 5 for IQ scores.

jtanSis1

MBTI Type
INFP
I used to get in trouble for not paying attention, but actually when they asked a question, I always had the answer long before anyone else. So were not retarded, or an airhead, we just move far too fast than normal education was designed for and are busy with other thoughts at the same time. Like how does what I'm learning apply in other ways. We don't feel retarded, if anything, we feel like visionaries.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I heard on average INFPs were in the top 5 for IQ scores.

That's not the main reason why NFP's really kick ass. They're complex, imaginative, emotional - and intelligent. Interesting people indeed (and totally sexy in a way, if you ask me) :yes:

1AuroraAngel1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I consider the word "airhead" to mean "thoughtless and shallow." Daydreaming has the potential to be meaningful, so daydreaming doesn't make one an airhead.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs as airheads? Extremely….no. They are the perfect opposite of airheads, although they can certainly be daydreamers, so I suppose someone could project emptiness into that, but I guarantee the day dreaming is quite deep, complex, and imaginative for the INFP.

Brimstone

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Possibly said because we "think" with our hearts, and we have massive hearts.

Pandemeria

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fi + Ne can appear irrational, even stupid. It's those bullheaded, subjective truths
we insist are right, even if they have no basis in reality. It's something I've seen in myself,
unfortunately--the whole 'my truth is right because it's mine and you can't take it away from
me' spiel. Ugh. For me, it's reacting emotionally in the moment that's the problem; if I step
back and reflect on it later, my irrationality becomes apparent.​

L

LadyLazarus

I've always thought the "air-headed" type of stereotype was ESFP? Which is why I take it as anything but a complement and perhaps a poor illusion to my lacking in the intelligence department when people type me as such. :dry:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've always thought the "air-headed" type of stereotype was ESFP? Which is why I take it as anything but a complement and perhaps a poor illusion to my lacking in the intelligence department when people type me as such. :dry:

I've noticed that, in general, F types, particularly xxFPs, are shrugged at as emotional airheads in online typology communities. ESFJs seem to get a lot of shit, but not so much for being airheads.

Noon

No.

If the INFP in question is intellectually-oriented, they could be very stimulating. Their strength might be in areas like critical theory, meta-ethics, psychology, literature; things encompassed in "existential intelligence". Camus and Kierkegaard are two common examples of intellectual INFPs.

It's definitely possible for a single INFP to be "airheaded," but airheadedness doesn't align with typically measured traits of the type itself if we're going to consider them as a group.

"Official profiles" are as variable as an author's imagination.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Those who don't grasp Fi are often too quick to judge it as frivolous nonsense, yes. Add to that the abstract, whimsical, often seemingly random nature of Ne and a stereotype is born.

However, their perception is hardly reality - just lazy pigeonholing. It's easier than admitting you just don't get it and are unwilling to actually sit back and learn.