User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default I can't feel humanity's pain.

I think I'm an NF, but I run on the callous side. It's not that I would ignore a starving person on the street, I wouldn't. But my heart strings aren't as tuggable as NFs here on the forum claim. There's so much pain in the world, and so many people out there aren't afraid of taking advantage of those who would give reflexively, having universal empathy would just wreck me.

Anybody feel similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I think I'm an NF, but I run on the callous side. It's not that I would ignore a starving person on the street, I wouldn't. But my heart strings aren't as tuggable as NFs here on the forum claim. There's so much pain in the world, and so many people out there aren't afraid of taking advantage of those who would give reflexively, having universal empathy would just wreck me.

Anybody feel similar?
    What's your e-type Qlip...do you know?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    What's your e-type Qlip...do you know?
    You know, I'm not sure. I've tested as 7 before. @CzeCze tried to pin me with one once.. maybe she'll jump in.

NPcomplete

Anybody feel similar?
    I do relate to this. I mean I see the "plight" and feel sad, angry, revolted etc at that moment but I can't really cry for them. I attribute this to survival skills (and probably must ponder more on this).

You know, I'm not sure. I've tested as 7 before. @CzeCze tried to pin me with one once.. maybe she'll jump in.
    I don't think what you report would be all that unusual with regards to an ENFP 7w6...but I need to think on this a bit more to be able to put what I'm feeling to words.

CzeCze tried to pin me with one once.. maybe she'll jump in.
    Have you seen her people-with-similar-vibes comparisons? She can't type herself a shopping list.

MBTI
    INTJ
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Sometimes I think I just pick and choose my sympathy and empathy status towards others at complete random.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I don't think you lack empathy, or you wouldn't have started this thread.
    Perhaps you feel overwhelmed by the depth of it, so you push it away? That's the reaction of a very sensitive person.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Yes, although you may be more empathetic than I. (I don't have universal empathy for homeless people, each and every one, for example, and I am probably fairly selfish when it comes to being restrictive in who I reach out to and help - but I also don't think there's anything wrong with that, so....*shrug*)

I don't have blanket/kneejerk empathy for each and every person in pain. I might on some level feel bad for them that they're hurting, but I don't really FEEL it. I think too all of it is so nuanced for me that rather than take a persons' emotional state at face value, I prefer knowing the series of events/accumulation of choices that led to the resulting state, and my true internal response will be more tied to that - i.e. I very well may not feel bad for them once I find out the essence of their character/nature or their own role in where they are at.

But when talking about more universal 'pain' at a cultural/national level - genocides, violence towards others, starvation due to an overpopulated/unsustainable environment, etc etc... yeah, that's awful, and I count my blessings with my current life. [I also don't take my own state for granted and won't be surprised (and actually expect) if some day X years in the future my own life is in a much more reduced state, whether by national/world shifts or whatnot, or an accident, health issues, whatever] But I don't dwell on it. I focus my energies on the immediate sphere around me, where I might be able to directly influence things/people. And, I guess too I take Pain as a 'given' that will never go away - it's part of existence. (whether due to us being biological beings, or external things outside our control, or the nature and ebb and flow of the human race and its inclinations at a macro scale)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ