• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] I can't feel humanity's pain.

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Wait. You are saying that because you feel others pain, your life is less pointless? Then you waste all your energy wondering what they are thinking?

Oops I guess that's what I'm saying

shit

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think you're NF.

EDIT. No one can feel "humanity's pain", only their own.

So you aren't looking for an empathy towards random people around you. But if you spend more time caring about some type of cause or some group of people than you do in total nonconcern for the rest of the world, then you're likely an NF.

Which, like I said, is gonna be harder for you to do since you're an Extrovert. Extroverts aren't geared all that naturally towards being aware of their own inner emotional worlds. That's not saying they can't be, or that there isn't an Extrovert that's extremely skilled in Introspection. But a very Exroverted person trying to figure out what's going on inside of them is about as natural as me trying to be social :cry:

All that to say, you might be leaning more towards ENTPs, who are kickass by the way, they're really cool people. But look more for how often you care as opposed to how often you really couldn't care less. And if you care, what do you care about? Is it ideas? Or is it causes and people?

And not ideas that affect people, that counts towards being an NF.

But do you spend your time thinking, "What is reality and how would I graph it on a graphing calculator?"

Or actually, just go to take the test. Then come back here and we'll hug you. We're NFs, that's what we do (whether you're one of us or not).

So go, now. Shoo. Take the test. :bye:

Relevant Information: I went without caffeine for a week, I just had a Diet Coke.

Shazayum!

I dunno.. not being NF is possible. And it is a valid hypothesis as to why I'm not as bleeding heart as other NFs. Tests don't help, they all require that you answer questions in a self aware manner and I tend to screw it up by not being self aware and by not answering the questions at face value. I'm pretty sure that I'm NF, but the thought that I could be an NT is very pleasing to my P inclination of not having to box myself in, though.

I think that basically I've been taken advantage of too much during my life, so I have some heavy defenses. Most of my thoughts do concern people as a nebulous group. Most of my thinking is trying to understand the world as a place where everybody has a chance to achieve some sort of transcendence from it. I can talk about my ideals as an abstraction, but that core is who I am, not something I can jettison.

I know my unicorns aren't as shiny as other NFs. I've always been partial to the bearded, cloven hoofed unicorn that stands knee high. That feels more authentic to my reality. Other's pain is regrettable, but inevitable. We all have our share, and the way I see it, you can help somebody momentarily past their pain. But, we're all on the wheel of life, with its ups and downs, and dealing with that reality is a singularly individual process.

G

garbage

One can get into some trouble if he mistakes his pain that arises from his perception of another's 'suffering' as that person's actual pain. That is, there's not a one-to-one mapping between others' emotional states and our own, and it'd be foolish to believe otherwise. Truly understanding another's situation involves truly understanding oneself, human nature, and, to the extent possible, that other person.

I've seen that sentiment expressed in this thread several times. It seems that most mature people, whether or not they'd describe themselves as empathetic, understand that.

Wait. You are saying that because you feel others pain, your life is less pointless? Then you waste all your energy wondering what they are thinking?

I didn't read it that way at all. At least, I can say that I share somewhat similar sentiments to FunnyDigestion and what you say doesn't follow for me.

Reflecting on the experiences of others, especially the downtrodden and misunderstood, can teach us a lot about the workings of the world, ourselves, and our place in the world. It can give us a sense of perspective. I wouldn't call it a waste at all.

I also believe that it's a good, solid way to gain a sense of purpose (or, in negative terms, to feel less pointless), but that it's just one of many ways to gain purpose.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I didn't read it that way at all. At least, I can say that I share somewhat similar sentiments to FunnyDigestion and what you say doesn't follow for me.

That's why I asked.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I find that I'll hear something tragic in the news like hundreds of people dying in an earthquake and while I understand its very tragic, it doesn't necessarily evoke a strong emotional reaction from me. Especially if its on the other side of the planet and I personally don't know any of the people. Instead I think about how lucky I am and go on with my business.

Sometimes, I find hard-luck stories from individuals will move me more than some large scale tragedy, even if I personally don't know the individual. Maybe it's because the former tends to have a more personal slant to it. Sometimes the media is to blame. They can write articles in ways to manipulate emotions in ways to tug at peoples' heartstrings.

It depends on the individual suffering too- their circumstances and events that led up to it. I'm much more likely to feel more compassionate towards an individual who is homeless because of circumstances beyond his or her control or someone who worked hard, still lost their job, couldn't find another one and is now out on the streets as opposed to someone who became homeless because of stupid choices or simply chooses to live that lifestyle. I may still feel compassion towards the latter though.

Burger King

There's something about this thread, something comical about it. Can't quite put my finger on it...