User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 55

  1. #41
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spruce Bringsteen View Post
    I don't know where you live
    I won the lottery when I was born in Oz (Australia).

    Fresh fruit and vegetables are cheap here, as we do not pay any tax on fresh fruit and vegetables. They are sourced from across a whole continent. Our meat is grass fed, free from hormones, and plentiful. Our seas are full of fish free of pollution, and we grow our own fish as well.

    And excellent way to enjoy fresh fruit and vegetables, nuts and seeds, and whole grains, every day, is with a blender.

  2. #42
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spruce Bringsteen View Post
    What about GMO's?.
    Have to take a second to say GMO is largely not a bad thing.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  3. #43
    Senior Member Eluded_One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Have to take a second to say GMO is largely not a bad thing.
    Typical capitalist babbling from a money magazine. The title of the article is very misleading: 2000+ Reasons Why GMOs Are Safe To Eat And Environmentally Sustainable . Where as, within the article, quotes are taken from popular sources expressing their uncertainty:

    “The science just hasn’t been done.”
    - Charles Benbrook, organic researcher, Washington State University.

    “There is no credible evidence that GMO foods are safe to eat.”
    - David Schubert, Salk Institute of Biological Studies

    “[The] research [on GMOs] is scant…. Whether they’re killing us slowly— contributing to long-term, chronic maladies—remains anyone’s guess.”
    - Tom Philpott, Mother Jones

    “Genetically modified (GM) foods should be a concern for those who suffer from food allergies because they are not tested….”
    - Organic Consumers Association


    All in all, I'm quite uncertain myself. There are many unproven theories that GMO's will alter human dna, however, so does pollution, and many other things. To be on the safe side, I'd generally skip the GMO's, if I had the clear option to. On another note, I enjoy reading Forbes magazine on their Game of Thrones recaps.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.” -anonymous

  4. #44
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eluded_One View Post
    Typical capitalist babbling from a capitalist magazine. The title of the article is very misleading: 2000+ Reasons Why GMOs Are Safe To Eat And Environmentally Sustainable . Where as, within the article,
    quotes are taken from popular sources expressing their uncertainty:

    “The science just hasn’t been done.”
    - Charles Benbrook, organic researcher, Washington State University.

    “There is no credible evidence that GMO foods are safe to eat.”
    - David Schubert, Salk Institute of Biological Studies

    “[The] research [on GMOs] is scant…. Whether they’re killing us slowly— contributing to long-term, chronic maladies—remains anyone’s guess.”
    - Tom Philpott, Mother Jones

    “Genetically modified (GM) foods should be a concern for those who suffer from food allergies because they are not tested….”
    - Organic Consumers Association


    All in all, I'm quite uncertain myself. There are many unproven theories that GMO's will alter human dna, however, so does pollution, and many other things. To be on the safe side, I'd generally skip the GMO's, if I had the clear option to. On another note, I enjoy reading Forbes magazine on their Game of Thrones recaps.
    I'm a chemist and a scientist, so I approach this from a practical stance. There is no evidence that shows GMO foods are harmful for consumption. It doesn't make any rational sense that GMO's would be harmful. If it was, we'd have all kinds of problem. We are ingesting all different kinds of DNA and protiens all the time, and we have been performing genetic modifications since the dawn of humanity really.

    Maybe this article will be better coming from the other side. In hindsight I should have gone with this one in the first place as it gets to the real problem.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  5. #45
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spruce Bringsteen View Post
    What about GMO's? I know Australia is fighting against that. In fact the March Against Monsanto was yesterday, which is world wide. I went last year.
    What about mercury? That's in almost all fish if I'm not mistaken, except if you grow your own.
    And gotta watch out for that "Round Up" stuff is straight up poison (thanks Monsanto).
    We practise prudent regulation not only in our economy but in our foodchain. And regular testing shows our fresh fruit and vegetables and grains are free of pesticides. Also regular testing of seafood shows it is free of mercury, however to be completely safe, it is recommended we limit the amount of large predatory fish we eat in week.

    To get a balanced perspective on risk, it is wise to look at society-wide risk assessment.

  6. #46
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spruce Bringsteen View Post
    Yes cause it is so rational to insert spider dna into tomatoes. Everyone is gonna want to eat that.

    This thread has gone off the rails. I could post 2 dozen articles, videos, and make my own points on why GMO's are absolutely NO good but that's not what this thread is about. Let's get back to "NFs and Anxiety/Depression". I believe there is a thread on GMO's though.

    p.s. if you want to have a private conversation I'm up for that.
    No, I don't to be perfectly honest, because this post of yours simply shows you don't understand how science works. Nor do I get the sense you want to learn how this works, cause it wouldn't fit your world view or how you want it to ideally be. I don't want to waste my time. That, and I'd much rather have the discussion in the open so others could learn from it. Discussing science, with anti-science individuals is maddeningly frustrating. In my experience the vast majority of them don't want to learn, they want their ideology justified and reject evidence as they see convenient, or just flat out fail at using critical thinking.

    You're wrong though, there is rationality behind altering genetic code in organisms. If it was harmful, it wouldn't be permitted, and there'd be actual evidence supporting the harm it could cause. Btw, there isn't "spider DNA" in tomatoes.

    You could post as many videos as you wanted; they'll all just get discredited.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  7. #47
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spruce Bringsteen View Post
    Or maybe they wouldn't fit YOUR world view, this isn't a one way street. You assumed wrong, don't assume.

    Are you open to being wrong even if you absolutely believe you are right?

    There is. It's funny you, a chemist and scientist, send me that article, which I have read before. That person states:

    "I'm not going to object to something that could have a positive effect on the world's food supply because there's a chance that something I eat might give me cancer 10 or 20 years down the line"

    This is the person you source??? They sound really smart.

    So GMO advocates say that it's safe to eat.

    This guy says he won't object IF there is a chance that it MAY have a positive effect BUT there may be a chance that in 10 or 20 years they'd get cancer from it, but he'd still eat it. Sounds reaaaaallly worth it. Sounds like the FDA putting out drugs before testing them. Put out products first, research later.

    I believe it could be used for good but GM crops haven't been able to produce more as they all claim. And there is plenty of studies that show they are not healthy to eat (which I will get to soon). Yeah because the FDA has such a great track record, nothing gets past them. I had heard that there was testing of splicing spider DNA into tomatoes, but I never heard of it actually getting to store shelves.
    GMO's don't cause cancer. Studies have shown that the few that suggested it, have been retracted. Most of those against them are anti-science ninnies not much difference than the idiotic anti-vaccine crowd.

    If the science comes out saying that it is harmful, then I'll change my tune. As of now though, there isn't any evidence to suggest that they are harmful.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  8. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    GMO's don't cause cancer. Studies have shown that the few that suggested it, have been retracted. Most of those against them are anti-science ninnies not much difference than the idiotic anti-vaccine crowd.

    If the science comes out saying that it is harmful, then I'll change my tune. As of now though, there isn't any evidence to suggest that they are harmful.
    Ok, so you don't want to talk about it and won't answer any questions I asked you.

    It's really hard to believe that you are a scientist or a chemist since you referenced that self deprecating hippie's article. The title kinda makes his points moot.

    "...even I can tell the case against genetically modified food is overblown."

    I don't know how you don't see the collusion involved everywhere. There is so much collusion it's ridiculous.

    All the testing is backed by corps linked to Monsanto and or Scientists receiving kick backs. This is the most blatant prominent example of collusion I've ever seen. You don't have to research much before you find the truth.

    There is not one thing good about GM crops.

    -The increase of Indian Farmer suicides since the introduction of Monsanto's Bt cotton.
    -Obama signing the "Monsanto Protection Act" to give them immunity to not be able to be sued.
    -Obama assigning people involved with Monsanto to do their own safety test on the GMO's, WTF???
    -Seed taxes
    -Patenting seeds
    -Saving Monsanto GM seeds illegal

    It just goes on and on. Aside from the safety on GMO debate surely you know about Monsanto's actions? That hippy did.

    And this is just what I can remember at the moment off the top of my head. I'm sure you may have some rebuttals from Monsanto's own web page or people, corps they're involved with.

    Nothing good has come from anything to do with GMO's. Have you not seen the millions of people protesting against Monsanto/GMO for the last 2 years? Monsanto is clutching on straws here.

    Institute for Responsible Technology - Health Risks
    Activist Post: Genetic Engineers Agree: GMOs Neither Safe Nor Necessary
    Failure to Yield: Evaluating the Performance of Genetically Engineered Crops (2009) | Union of Concerned Scientists

    If you don't see it I really don't know what to say to you. No words on a computer screen coming from a some random username is really not going to do much I suppose.
    Well to those interested, take a look at the links I've posted and conduct your own research of course.
    Now, I think I know what you tried to say to me
    And how you suffered for your sanity
    And how you tried to set them free
    They would not listen, they're not listening still
    Perhaps they never will...

  9. #49
    I could do things Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,977

    Default

    You're wrongly assuming that I support Monsanto. I do not like, nor respect them as a company for what they have done, and the unethical scientific practices they have taken.

    My concern here, is with the misinformation about what GMO's are, and if they are harmful for human consumption. As I said, if individuals do not understand that there is no harm in it, then they don't understand science.

    I'm stopping here. I really didn't want to get involved in this debate, and coupled with the fact that I really am not doing so hot tonight, I'm done.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  10. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    You're wrongly assuming that I support Monsanto. I do not like, nor respect them as a company for what they have done, and the unethical scientific practices they have taken.

    My concern here, is with the misinformation about what GMO's are, and if they are harmful for human consumption. As I said, if individuals do not understand that there is no harm in it, then they don't understand science.

    I'm stopping here. I really didn't want to get involved in this debate, and coupled with the fact that I really am not doing so hot tonight, I'm done.
    I didn't assume that, just tired and wasn't clear enough on what I said concerning that hippy guy.

    Oh don't give me that bullshit, "if individuals do not understand that there is no harm in it, then they don't understand science."

    The FDA admits they don't know the long term effects of GM crops on humans, not to mention the environment!!! And gene spliced food is unpredictable.
    Jeffrey Smith: You're Appointing Who? Please Obama, Say It's Not So!

    This is just gonna be another Thalidomide all over again, FDA said it was safe. Let's take there oh so valuable word for it.

    Tell me you've seen this stuudy?
    Access Forbidden - www.gmoseralini.org
    The Actual Study
    A Comparison of the Effects of Three GM Corn Varieties on Mammalian Health

    And again, GM crops do not produce a higher yield.
    http://responsibletechnology.org/doc...ase-yields.pdf

    You are going to find out eventually that you've been duped. And if you've fallen for this garbage who knows what else you've been duped into.
    Now, I think I know what you tried to say to me
    And how you suffered for your sanity
    And how you tried to set them free
    They would not listen, they're not listening still
    Perhaps they never will...

Similar Threads

  1. MoodGYM: A Free CBT Resource for Depression and Anxiety
    By Wind Up Rex in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-01-2015, 04:03 PM
  2. cocka-maney thoughts on depression and anxiety
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-31-2014, 10:13 AM
  3. do you think depression and anxiety are overdiagnosed
    By prplchknz in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 05:04 PM
  4. [NF] NF's and fixing depression
    By Qatie:) in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-03-2013, 10:30 PM
  5. Anxiety, Depression and Snake Oil
    By Mole in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO