User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: INFP rebels

  1. #1
    Senior Member Sizzling Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    187

    Default INFP rebels

    INFPs are you rebellious? How would you describe your particular way of rebelliousness??
    Hot-hearted head

  2. #2
    ... Tyrinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Well, if I don't have a strong opinion on a matter being debated I tend to play devil's advocate a lot (taking the opposite stance simply because no one else is), I'm sure some people see this as being rebellious. Also, I generally don't care about social norms, and just do my own thing most of the time...

    So, maybe? I guess it depends on how you view rebelliousness.
    ...

  3. #3
    Senior Member Sizzling Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Well, if I don't have a strong opinion on a matter being debated I tend to play devil's advocate a lot (taking the opposite stance simply because no one else is) (...) .
    What makes you do that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Also, I generally don't care about social norms, and just do my own thing most of the time...
    I was thinking that the part in bold refers to me, but I have been told lately by 3 different people that I was a non-conformist.
    Hot-hearted head

  4. #4
    ... Tyrinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzling Berry View Post
    What makes you do that?
    Because there is little point in debate if there isn't a debate.

    Plus, it seems to be easier for me to see the other side of things than the people I tend to be around...

    But like I said, I'm not opposed to agreeing with everyone if that is what I believe.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzling Berry View Post
    I was thinking that the part in bold refers to me, but I have been told lately by 3 different people that I was a non-conformist.
    I think there is a difference between not wanting to sacrifice your beliefs, and going against the tide simply for the sake of going against the tide...
    ...

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    868

    Default

    Most people have classified me with a certain level of rebelliousness. I tend to have varying/situational reasons for different manifestations of it. As was mentioned, ideals and values play into it in a major way. If I believe it's wrong, "You Shall Not Pass!!!" I'm also oblivious to lots of social customs (thank you note writing is the bane of my existence .... I always forget to and they always shock me when they arrive in my mailbox after I give a gift.... seriously, how do people remember to do that?... and why? it's not necessary... I already know they probably appreciated it, and I gave it to give it regardless of their reaction..... blah blah blah.) I'm messy a lot. I also have a physical appearance that I've honed through the years as a form of self-expression, and is therefore not subject to fashion, trends, and people's opinions. Other times, I'm just perceived that way because I'm different personality-wise I think (blunt, enjoy debating, etc.... this goes over like a lead balloon with Fe women) I have to know why, and this annoys people and is perceived as having a questioning and independent attitude. Any way.... don't mean to be rebellious, but that seems to be people's estimation, yeah.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sizzling Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Because there is little point in debate if there isn't a debate.
    No, the best debates are when everybody agrees... with me!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Plus, it seems to be easier for me to see the other side of things than the people I tend to be around...
    Examples, please...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post

    I think there is a difference between not wanting to sacrifice your beliefs, and going against the tide simply for the sake of going against the tide...
    "For me 2+2=5 and I'm proud of it" rebelliousness -----> I know that type - meh,
    but if it's somebody's type, to each its own

    Can you be a rebel by accident? Without deliberation?
    Hot-hearted head

  7. #7
    ... Tyrinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzling Berry View Post
    Examples, please...
    ...Examples? Why? I'm just saying that whether or not I agree with it, I can usually see my opponents point of view in an argument/debate. If I'm taking a strong stance against it, the reason is usually that I don't agree with it, not that I can't understand it. This is different than the reasoning of certain people I know, which is more along the lines of, "Your point makes no sense, and/or is stupid. It has nothing behind it. I don't understand what makes you think that way."

    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzling Berry View Post
    Can you be a rebel by accident? Without deliberation?
    I don't know. Are you only a rebel if you consider yourself one? If so, then no. However, if someone considering you a rebel makes you one, then yes.
    ...

  8. #8
    Senior Member Sizzling Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mia_infp View Post
    I have to know why, and this annoys people and is perceived as having a questioning and independent attitude.
    +100, yes!!!
    But why is it like that?

    Quote Originally Posted by mia_infp View Post
    Any way.... don't mean to be rebellious, but that seems to be people's estimation, yeah.
    That kind of answers the question if you can be a rebel by accident.
    Hot-hearted head

  9. #9
    Senior Member Sizzling Berry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I don't know. Are you only a rebel if you consider yourself one? If so, then no. However, if someone considering you a rebel makes you one, then yes.
    I think you can get to be a rebel by consciously deciding to be one (like joining a protest or something similar) or apparently you can become one unconsciously - not knowing about that. Or maybe it's not your purpose but you still risk it because your values are worth it.

    Considering yourself a rebel doesn't always make you a rebel - to answer the first question.

    And I needed examples out of pure curiosity
    Hot-hearted head

  10. #10
    Senior Member Eckhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    I don't know if I would describe myself as a rebel. I mean, I am not trying to rebel on something just for the sake of it. But I also refuse to do, think or say things just to conform with the general opinion all the time either, and this can happen often enough. I very readily question the general opinion. The question is if thinking with your own, somewhat maverick head alone qualifies you already as a rebel.

    It is also not like I am being very openly rebellious usually either. I can show my disagreement in a diplomatic way most of the time. Often enough I might just keep things for myself as well when I don't see a point in sharing my views (because I know it is a helpless case anyway or it is not important enough for me to start an argument), which doesn't change the fact though that I keep to my own views.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFP] Questions for and about INFPs.
    By Cindyrella in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 234
    Last Post: 12-12-2017, 09:46 AM
  2. [INFP] An INFP's Dilemma or Just Mine?
    By Meursault in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-23-2016, 03:30 PM
  3. [INFP] INFPs, is that you?
    By Tayshaun in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 06-14-2015, 07:52 PM
  4. [INFP] Questions for INFPs about INFPs
    By marm in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 01:48 AM
  5. [INFP] INFPs, think you're special?
    By JivinJeffJones in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO