• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] INFP rebels

Sizzling Berry

MBTI Type
INFP
INFPs are you rebellious? How would you describe your particular way of rebelliousness??

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, if I don't have a strong opinion on a matter being debated I tend to play devil's advocate a lot (taking the opposite stance simply because no one else is), I'm sure some people see this as being rebellious. Also, I generally don't care about social norms, and just do my own thing most of the time...

So, maybe? I guess it depends on how you view rebelliousness.

Sizzling Berry

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, if I don't have a strong opinion on a matter being debated I tend to play devil's advocate a lot (taking the opposite stance simply because no one else is) (...) .

What makes you do that?

Also, I generally don't care about social norms, and just do my own thing most of the time...

I was thinking that the part in bold refers to me, but I have been told lately by 3 different people that I was a non-conformist.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What makes you do that?

Because there is little point in debate if there isn't a debate. :D

Plus, it seems to be easier for me to see the other side of things than the people I tend to be around...

But like I said, I'm not opposed to agreeing with everyone if that is what I believe.

I was thinking that the part in bold refers to me, but I have been told lately by 3 different people that I was a non-conformist.
I think there is a difference between not wanting to sacrifice your beliefs, and going against the tide simply for the sake of going against the tide...

Mia.

Most people have classified me with a certain level of rebelliousness. I tend to have varying/situational reasons for different manifestations of it. As was mentioned, ideals and values play into it in a major way. If I believe it's wrong, "You Shall Not Pass!!!" I'm also oblivious to lots of social customs (thank you note writing is the bane of my existence .... I always forget to and they always shock me when they arrive in my mailbox after I give a gift.... seriously, how do people remember to do that?... and why? it's not necessary... I already know they probably appreciated it, and I gave it to give it regardless of their reaction..... blah blah blah.) I'm messy a lot. I also have a physical appearance that I've honed through the years as a form of self-expression, and is therefore not subject to fashion, trends, and people's opinions. Other times, I'm just perceived that way because I'm different personality-wise I think (blunt, enjoy debating, etc.... this goes over like a lead balloon with Fe women) I have to know why, and this annoys people and is perceived as having a questioning and independent attitude. Any way.... don't mean to be rebellious, but that seems to be people's estimation, yeah.

Sizzling Berry

MBTI Type
INFP
Because there is little point in debate if there isn't a debate. :D

No, the best debates are when everybody agrees... with me! :harhar:

Plus, it seems to be easier for me to see the other side of things than the people I tend to be around...

Examples, please...

I think there is a difference between not wanting to sacrifice your beliefs, and going against the tide simply for the sake of going against the tide...

"For me 2+2=5 and I'm proud of it" rebelliousness -----> I know that type - meh,
but if it's somebody's type, to each its own

Can you be a rebel by accident? Without deliberation?

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Examples, please...
...Examples? Why? I'm just saying that whether or not I agree with it, I can usually see my opponents point of view in an argument/debate. If I'm taking a strong stance against it, the reason is usually that I don't agree with it, not that I can't understand it. This is different than the reasoning of certain people I know, which is more along the lines of, "Your point makes no sense, and/or is stupid. It has nothing behind it. I don't understand what makes you think that way."

Can you be a rebel by accident? Without deliberation?
I don't know. Are you only a rebel if you consider yourself one? If so, then no. However, if someone considering you a rebel makes you one, then yes.

Sizzling Berry

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know. Are you only a rebel if you consider yourself one? If so, then no. However, if someone considering you a rebel makes you one, then yes.

I think you can get to be a rebel by consciously deciding to be one (like joining a protest or something similar) or apparently you can become one unconsciously - not knowing about that. Or maybe it's not your purpose but you still risk it because your values are worth it.

Considering yourself a rebel doesn't always make you a rebel - to answer the first question.

And I needed examples out of pure curiosity :D

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
I don't know if I would describe myself as a rebel. I mean, I am not trying to rebel on something just for the sake of it. But I also refuse to do, think or say things just to conform with the general opinion all the time either, and this can happen often enough. I very readily question the general opinion. The question is if thinking with your own, somewhat maverick head alone qualifies you already as a rebel.

It is also not like I am being very openly rebellious usually either. I can show my disagreement in a diplomatic way most of the time. Often enough I might just keep things for myself as well when I don't see a point in sharing my views (because I know it is a helpless case anyway or it is not important enough for me to start an argument), which doesn't change the fact though that I keep to my own views.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
^ :yes:

I have never really had the desire to overtly rebel; to represent myself as directly in opposition to authority or society. I do have opinions, approaches, interests that differ from social norms but it's not important to me to shout these from the roof tops or create discord just for the sake of asserting my individuality. If a value is directly violated and I find it would be wrong not to act or speak up, then I will do so; but if there is nothing immediately compelling or encouraging me to do so, I usually remain silent. My default mode is one of harmony and acceptance, and I only stray from this when I feel I need to.

I also consider myself and my views to be too complex and multifaceted to totally and unequivocally align with a single movement or group - never to disagree and always toe the line - even if that group is at odds with society. I suppose I would say I'm not enough of a fundamentalist about anything to be a true rebel. I try to remain open and receptive to a well reasoned argument; constantly revising and refining my beliefs if I feel that they are off base.

I certainly can imagine circumstances where I would rebel, but generally these hypothetical situations are extreme; activism, perhaps, would be the most likely form, but then I wouldn't really consider this to be rebelling per se.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know if I would describe myself as a rebel. I mean, I am not trying to rebel on something just for the sake of it. But I also refuse to do, think or say things just to conform with the general opinion all the time either, and this can happen often enough. I very readily question the general opinion. The question is if thinking with your own, somewhat maverick head alone qualifies you already as a rebel.

It is also not like I am being very openly rebellious usually either. I can show my disagreement in a diplomatic way most of the time. Often enough I might just keep things for myself as well when I don't see a point in sharing my views (because I know it is a helpless case anyway or it is not important enough for me to start an argument), which doesn't change the fact though that I keep to my own views.

I third this. I'm not openly rebellious nor rebellious for the sake of it. I don't rebel as a reaction either, not usually. I'm more likely to just withdraw than lash out rebelliously.

However, sometimes my opinions or preferences don't align with the prevailing ones or with an authority. If I am aware this will cause conflict, then I'll weight if it's worth it, and if so, then I'll choose my way over cooperation. I don't make a show of it though, which often minimizes any risk of conflict. Many times, I am just oblivious that my way is at odds with some norm & might be considered rebellious though.

There is a part of me that likes to feel & be "different", but I don't see it as rebellious because it's not threatening anyone or anything. When someone is threatened by this, I think they're just extremely uptight or reading me wrong.

I have a tendency to be unaware of authority also, to view & treat people rather equally, and this can seem sort of rebellious in an impertinent way.

I will also do the devil's advocate thing, and I will question many sides of an argument just to explore it fully, and this can seem rebellious to some people for some reason.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes lol

I have the fire of:

che-guevara.jpg

The presence of:

Mahatma-Gandhi-524.jpg

With the values of:

mother_teresa_11.jpg

But the political beliefs of:

ron-paul.gif

At the end of the day, though, everyone sees me as:

eeyore61_5881.jpg

Last edited:

fairwinds

MBTI Type
INFP
Well I'm still questioning my type and I wouldn't label myself a rebel, but assuming I'm INFP, the way descriptions portray us like where all extremely thin-skinned gentle souls trapped in our own little fantasy world bothers me. Sure, an INFP whose values strongly conflict with the status quo will become wounded, but why shouldn't that dissatisfaction also break loose and surface in a more openly rebellious way? Kurt Cobain comes to mind - he was definitely seen as a rebel in his time and he always striked me as INFPish.

Mia.

Well I'm still questioning my type and I wouldn't label myself a rebel, but assuming I'm INFP, the way descriptions portray us like where all extremely thin-skinned gentle souls trapped in our own little fantasy world bothers me. Sure, an INFP whose values strongly conflict with the status quo will become wounded, but why shouldn't that dissatisfaction also break loose and surface in a more openly rebellious way? Kurt Cobain comes to mind - he was definitely seen as a rebel in his time and he always striked me as INFPish.

He always seemed like an ISFP to me, which would mean we're both seeing Fi dom.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
All INFP's are rebels at heart. I just don't necessarily seek out rebellion. Apparently I'm on a different wave length to most folks, so I tend to have a different perspective, which may or may not be perceived as rebellious. I let my consience be my guide on such matters.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Here's two relevant quotes I love that pretty much describe the INFP:

“Every genuine boy is a rebel and an anarch. If he were allowed to develop according to his own instincts, his own inclinations, society would undergo such a radical transformation as to make the adult revolutionary cower and cringe.” -John Andrew Holmes

“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T. E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia)

Ethanescence

MBTI Type
INFP
I wouldn't class myself as rebellious in the typical sense, no.

When I end up in heated emotional arguments with friends or acquaintances (family members are exceptions), I can shut down and not respond to their taunts. Essentially I do this in order for them not to get the satisfaction of eliciting emotions out of me. I see that as a kind of rebellion against tormentors, a silent protest where I don't sink to their level. People I'm close to know I'm angry or upset when I "get all quiet", while people who don't know me so see that as unfeeling. I think this is due to Fi.

Additionally, I tend to rebel against social norms and stay steadfast if anyone challenges my own position. I don't try and convince others, and I enjoy debates on different perspectives. Some examples are social drinking and organized religion, which I don't adhere to.

Thinkist

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can see INTPs as 10 times more rebellious than INFPs (those INTPs who rebel this statement are only proving my point up front). If I'm not mistaken, INFPs seem to be rebellious in different ways than INTPs, in ethical matters instead of, well... everything.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i'm probably a rebel, but i'm good at seeming like i'm not :)

I can see INTPs as 10 times more rebellious than INFPs (those INTPs who rebel this statement are only proving my point up front). If I'm not mistaken, INFPs seem to be rebellious in different ways than INTPs, in ethical matters instead of, well... everything.

what is this, a competition?