• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Being extremely idealistic and extremely logical at the same time

surtsey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Lately I feel like my idealistic and rational tendencies are really clashing and I'm wondering how people deal with this. Like, I really don't want to believe that life is meaningless, but I can't wrap my head around an absolute kind of purpose and goodness.

any related thoughts?

(in this category because I'm between being an INFP and INTP--I've been reading about the two types lately and was surprised at how different they seem.)

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Here's how I see it:

Life itself is meaningless

Every person makes their own meaning for what life is

So, meaning is a human concept. The best saying ever created is, "it is what it is." & what it is is, what it is. Everything is there. It's the task of the human mind to make it worthwhile, by effort, & love.

There is no absolute purpose, but isn't it better that way? Imagine if there was. Then there'd be someone who was the best at that purpose, & everyone would be competing with him/her. Instead, everyone can do their own thing better than anyone else, as long as they find out what it is.

surtsey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've heard those ideas over and over but for some reason it's just never clicked with me. not saying it's wrong, I just can't find it not disturbing...the idea that you, on some level, have to trick yourself into believing something is important. you know?

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've heard those ideas over and over but for some reason it's just never clicked with me. not saying it's wrong, I just can't find it not disturbing...the idea that you, on some level, have to trick yourself into believing something is important. you know?

Yeah, I know what you mean, but... life is inherently disturbing. I think that's just undeniably true. The way I feel, when I'm at my best, is like someone walking thru a zone of pain & strife, trying to help people out, trying to find the people who are hurting the worst & assisting them toward better times. There's no escaping pain, but you can at least do something worth telling. The point of life to me is to leave a story worth telling.

Life is a losing battle, but I feel like it's a noble use of your time to go thru helping others have at least a bit of a better time. Life is pain, no doubt... but what's the alternative? The alternative is nothing, which I see no problem with, but as long as I'm around, I just try to make it count. I don't think it's tricking myself, more like "I hope to enjoy my time in this world, so what life is the best way to do that?" I dunno... I would never rule out suicide though. lol...

FunnyDigestion

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Also, I think a lot of people get backed into corners by all the structures of modern civilized life... when you're living according to someone else's schedule, someone else's priorities, you simply can't do what's important to you. A lot of times you can't even find it because you're too busy fitting into all these preordained structures. So, before you decide that life isn't worth living, at least try to find freedom first, try living in freedom. Because it's extremely surprising, even magical to find out how different things can be when you have some choice over what you can do.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

So, meaning is a human concept. The best saying ever created is, "it is what it is." & what it is is, what it is. Everything is there. It's the task of the human mind to make it worthwhile, by effort, & love.

There is no absolute purpose, but isn't it better that way? Imagine if there was. Then there'd be someone who was the best at that purpose, & everyone would be competing with him/her. Instead, everyone can do their own thing better than anyone else, as long as they find out what it is.
There is no absolute universal purpose, but there can be absolute individual purposes. The idea is to advance our own purposes while allowing others to do the same. I prefer to think, "it is what it is, but it will become what I make of it".

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
It depends on your definition of 'purpose'. There probably any sort of fated route for you to walk. However, there are probably routes that are more suited to you. routes that make you happy, routes that your talents cater for. I see no problem in aiming for such a route and calling it your purpose.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Lately I feel like my idealistic and rational tendencies are really clashing and I'm wondering how people deal with this. Like, I really don't want to believe that life is meaningless, but I can't wrap my head around an absolute kind of purpose and goodness.

any related thoughts?

(in this category because I'm between being an INFP and INTP--I've been reading about the two types lately and was surprised at how different they seem.)

I have the same issue and I've been wavering between INFP and INTP.

Here's how I see it:

Life itself is meaningless

I've never thought of it like that but you raise a good point.

Priori

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6

Go to your bookshelf and list the first dozen titles here. Also, being a F does not mean that you can’t have a high IQ or the ability to use logic. By the same token being a T does not mean you are incapable of intense emotion.