• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ne] What is your calling?

Black Hole Sun

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Do you know what your meant to do with your life?

If so how did you figure it out?

Career wise or whatever you think your calling is.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No clue. :D

I'm just wandering through life at the moment.

It would be interesting to see how others discovered their "calling" if they have done so.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To serve my fellow man. Through writing or public service... undecided on this point. I'll always do both in some capacity or another.

V

violaine

I don't know if it's a calling. My strongest desires are to explore, to create and to nurture. I like to try different ways of living to broaden my bank of experiences. I don't want that just sitting there unused though, I need to create something out of it. Though there can be a long lag between having a realization and making something out of it. And mundane details of life often get in the way. But I try to keep my life as streamlined as possible so that I can absorb and then create. I am also very drawn to nurturing the people I care deeply for. I shift into another gear when it comes to protecting and being there for the people I love. I have sometimes wondered if I'm fully alive at other times because the surge of energy is so great when I'm engaged in nurturing someone I love. I'd like to express that more widely and have long thought I'd end up taking care of children on a larger scale when I'm older. I would like to be a foster parent and to work in an orphanage. I just feel like I have a lot to give in that respect.

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
Do you know what your meant to do with your life?

If so how did you figure it out?

Career wise or whatever you think your calling is.

Life is meaningless, we give ourselves a purpose. I think I was meant to be a lover but I can't even get that so what's the point of living. I don't think anyone really figure it out. There are guys in 50s who still don't even know what to do with their lives.

ilovelurking

MBTI Type
INFJ
Lots and lots of exploring options. There were times when I thought when I did something and believed it to be a calling but it wasn't - because after some time I felt empty and out of sorts.

I am an entrepreneur, life coach, wellness coach, personal trainer and athlete, writer, speaker and some others :D - at the side I DJ when I can.

stalemate

Post-Humorously
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think I'm meant to teach. Whenever I teach a concept to people, I switch into a different mode and am more fulfilled and just kind of lost in the process.

I actually double majored in college for high school teaching and also for computer science. I left with 1 degree (comp sci) and about 150 hours of coursework, 1 year short of the teaching degree. It turns out to have been a pretty good decision though. I've been working full time for 12 years now and the high school teaching isn't exactly what I want. I want to be more of a college professor type or possibly run my own tutoring/teach program on some level. I was even thinking of setting up some Saturday classes to teach kids (not sure what age) about programming.

I also want to start going back to school at night here and there because if I even want to teach at a university, I feel like I need more than my BS, I need at least a masters and maybe phd I think. If I start working on it one or 2 classes at a time within the next year or so I'll be ready one of these days.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I feel a calling to "light a fire" in people - it's what I'm skilled at and what fulfills me. I am good at aiding people in finding their internal motivation and helping them develop plans to act on that. I have not yet figured out how to transfer that into a career, however.

I discovered this during my job as a tutor. I enjoyed the subjects in and of themselves but what I was better at (and what I found more important) was helping people unearth personal motivation to connect with and accomplish their work.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My calling is to Qlip; it's a verb and a proper noun. Well, yeah, technically it's neither : D

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To increase a sense of empathy in the world through two approaches in particular. The first approach is in teaching students that have a combination of special needs and gifts. It requires paying a lot of attention on an individual level to understand how to unlock the potential of people who have the inner stress of having inner barriers and abilities. Their communication is more individualized than the norm and so it requires attention and empathy to help them progress. The second way I try to increase empathy is through creating works of arts through which people can glimpse a portion of what I understand to be part of the human experience on an individual level that also has universal implications.

Black Hole Sun

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thank you everyone for your responses.

My issue is that either I want a certain life for myself or I don't want to do anything. I don't feel like I have a calling, but I want to do many things, but at the same time I just want to be and not do anything really. It's rather hard to explain, but I just keep waiting to have a moment where everything clicks and I say "woah this is my calling" I'm a junior in college and I just taking random classes because I'm so lost. :/

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope. That time will come when it comes.

The calling can be anything.

ilovelurking

MBTI Type
INFJ
Keep exploring the things you feel like doing. Maybe start with hobbies? That's what I do.

I don't know anything else I can do besides the ones I have mentioned. If I do otherwise I'd just die inside.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think my calling is to be a curmudgeon. I'm exceedingly good at it. Other than that, I'm still waiting for mine. It's about right time and right place. I've felt that enough times, that I know I'm not off track. I treasure those moments where everything just fits.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I would say that it wasn't one single moment where I was in the shower and it suddenly struck me what I was meant to do in life. It was more of a gradual process with little clues popping up along the way.

When I was a little kid and started learning about science at school, the thing that most interest me wasn't the experiments and theories, but the stories about how Edward Jenner looked at why milkmaids didn't get smallpox and discovered vaccination, or how Marie Curie discovered radioactivity. My childhood heroes were people like Edison, Da Vinci and Graham-Bell. The invention part of my career was clear, but which science?

That answer came when my brother bought an IBM PC with a super fast 8 MHz turbo processor in the 80s. Once I started playing around with Basic and writing programs, it was clear that I had a talent there. At around the same time, I saw the movie "WarGames" on video and the part where the computer Joshua asks "Shall we play a game?" stood out that Artificial Intelligence was the field where I eventually ended up.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I find my calling, I'll let you know.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't have a calling and I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with my life. ;)