User Tag List

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Default Differiential diagnosis

I've met some ENFPs who seem to resemble SFPs, but I know there's a clear difference out there beyond the cheery nature of these types. Can anyone tell me what it might be?
    Thinkist: not optimist nor pessimist. I am primarily competent in the enneagram.
    SX 9w1, SP 5w6, SP 3w4 | Split with the first two
    Ti-Se-Si-Ni-Te-Fi-Ne-Fe. I'm always questioning this, particularly the Si.
    Big 5/Global5/SLOAN: RCUEX

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkist View Post
    I've met some ENFPs who seem to resemble SFPs, but I know there's a clear difference out there beyond the cheery nature of these types. Can anyone tell me what it might be?
    They are both very sociable and great with small-talks in large group settings. Though ENFP rarely offend people during casual interaction with others but ESFP might say something that could be offensive or careless that upset others. However, they didn't intend to do this consciously.

Another notable difference is ENFP is far more patience than ESFP when it comes to suppressing their negative emotions against one when getting offended in group settings. I have seen many ESFP friends who can't hide their facial expressions if they chose not to defend on their own if they've been attacked. ENFP seems to have this uncanny ability to look as if they are not affected by negative remarks even though it did affect them deeply.

Also, if you ask about their future goals, ENFP usually have a very distinctive goal even though it is expressed vaguely. Most ESFP that I know of didn't even want to think about future goals as they clearly don't have one. Or that they are clueless as they usually feel stressful if they have to project their life in future.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent Fresh View Post
    They are both very sociable and great with small-talks in large group settings. Though ENFP rarely offend people during casual interaction with others but ESFP might say something that could be offensive or careless that upset others. However, they didn't intend to do this consciously.

Another notable difference is ENFP is far more patience than ESFP when it comes to suppressing their negative emotions against one when getting offended in group settings. I have seen many ESFP friends who can't hide their facial expressions if they chose not to defend on their own if they've been attacked. ENFP seems to have this uncanny ability to look as if they are not affected by negative remarks even though it did affect them deeply.

Also, if you ask about their future goals, ENFP usually have a very distinctive goal even though it is expressed vaguely. Most ESFP that I know of didn't even want to think about future goals as they clearly don't have one. Or that they are clueless as they usually feel stressful if they have to project their life in future.
    That sounds pretty good to me. Its all in the face and how they dress. Atleast thats the obvious things to me.
    Im out, its been fun

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I also notice one strong difference is that ENFPs have a good amount of self-control of not displaying an emotional breakdown with tear bombs (they only do that to people who are extremely close to them); whereas ESFPs seem to have no problem of doing that in public when it hits them hard.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

I also notice one strong difference is that ENFPs have a good amount of self-control of not displaying an emotional breakdown with tear bombs (they only do that to people who are extremely close to them); whereas ESFPs seem to have no problem of doing that in public when it hits them hard.
    Noted, thanks. Perhaps part of the reason for this is the SP impulsivity that the ESFP ahs that the ENFP doesn't. Also, I'm not sure I've ever gotten to meet an SFP up close, so it's even harder to compare
    Thinkist: not optimist nor pessimist. I am primarily competent in the enneagram.

MBTI
    STP

Noted, thanks. Perhaps part of the reason for this is the SP impulsivity that the ESFP ahs that the ENFP doesn't. Also, I'm not sure I've ever gotten to meet an SFP up close, so it's even harder to compare
    I think ENFP has a more hands off/observant approach to Se style things where as ESFP is a more hand on style approach which is what comes off as impulsivity. ENFP can be hands on, but for a different reason. ENFP comes off more as "curious" where as "ESFP" is more in the moment engaged.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

Hm... I haven't noticed a high degree of NP curiosity in the ENFPs I've met. Perhaps their iNtuition isn't really strong. At the same time, they're not so much in the moment like an SP.

MBTI
    enfp

Hm... I haven't noticed a high degree of NP curiosity in the ENFPs I've met. Perhaps their iNtuition isn't really strong. At the same time, they're not so much in the moment like an SP.
    Extraverted Intuition as their dominant function. Enfp's are curious and you get to hear their thoughts upfront while they're banging them out. Introverted Intuition gives you a conclusion when its done. But generally without feedback from others.

I've got an INFJ friend who makes some quick judgements without stopping to perceive. So when she does express her thoughts its hard not to shoot holes in it with the facts she didn't consider. Which tends to make them go into their shell.

Enfp's say what they're thinking so you get a chance to modify it as they're saying it. But then some thinking judgement types will shoot it down pretty hard and assume (with limited facts) that they don't think very well. it isn't that they don't. It is, by nature, the beginning of a thought. So it has its strengths and weaknesses.

Back on topic. Clothing and style can be a tip off. Another tip off is facts and details. If the person is giving you a detailed breakdown of what they did that day, which esfp's seem to like to do, its not an enfp. Facts and details tend to be their weak point. They want to talk about idea's and feelings.