User Tag List

First 234

First time I took the tests? I got something of an INFX. I went through INFP>ISFP (Members here said I was sort of ISFP ish)>INFJ.

I went with INFP for all intensive purposes in the beginning. Of course, I didn't really care too much about it besides the fact that taking the test was part of a class assignment.

There are still people here who think I'm an INFP (@Elfboy), and there is even some who think that I am outside of those three types, but I think it is because I've stuck with INFP the longest so I have formed some conceptions on how INFPs "act."

Quote Originally Posted by Crescent Fresh View Post
    Here comes the next question. Do you think you guys have been mistyped from the beginning or you did evolve to a different type over time?
    Rough times are rough times as good times are good times, I suppose. I can borrow the enneagram and say that a person can appear like another type based on how they are reacting at the given time. Perceptions do change over time.

So a little bit of both? From all these years I've been messing around with MBTI, it seems a few of them like to ascribe the function orders in certain timelines. During those timelines, people tend to start developing their functions to see what works and what doesn't. What doesn't work obviously gets thrown out and what "doesn't work anymore" gets thrown out to be replaced.

When I first took the test was certainly different from how I ascribe myself now.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

apart from occasionally thinking I was an introvert, ENFP found me pretty fast and stuck around.
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Enneagram

I first took a Keirsey sorter when I was 14 or 15 and was grouped as a rational. It didn't really grab me. My ENFJ mother was disappointed because she was sure I was REALLY an INFP idealist, and I was just going through a cynical adolescent phase. I didn't think much of it at the time.

While in therapy at 18, I tested as an INTP. The therapist who is registered to administer the test was, looking back, fucking clueless about the whole thing. She gave me the impressions that the thinking/feeling dichotomy as a question of do you think or do you emote. I imagined all feelers as mushy-headed huggers who have knitting circles and read Nicholas Sparks novels. Not something a nerdy teenaged boy wants to identify with. So I tested INTP and the result still didn't click.

What eventually lead me to the NF path was quite accidental. I went through this phase where I was obsessed with duality and mystics. I got really into William Blake, Herman Hesse, Swedenbourg, etc. Eventually I stumbled upon Jung and his Psychological Types. His description of introverted feeling resonated so deeply with me, and the book as a whole gave me a waaaay better understanding of the different functions. After some Myers Briggs reading, I eventually decided I was INFP. And even though I drift off to INFJ and ENFP from time to time, I always come back to INFP in the end.

On a side note: Crescent, I don't know you at all, outside the occasional pleasant forum interaction, so what I'm saying is not an individual assessment of your character (although if you were wondering what my individual guess would be is that you are INFJ). First of all, a lot of people recognize their Auxilary better than their dom., because you take your dominant worldview for granted. It's that whole analogy of the fish doesn't see the water it's swimming in. So it may well be that you are only just realizing you're an ENFJ, and you just never recognized your Fe-dominance. However, you might just be getting in touch with your auxilary as you mature. You're fairly young aren't you? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I feel like I read at one point that you're in your twenties. I have read a few times, that people in their twenties really start becoming more conscious of their auxilary function. So you might just be noticing Fe a lot more because it's emerging. Well I'm sure you've been aware of it for a while, but I just mean it never really "broke out". I should stop now, I am probably just muddying the waters, with my disoriented thrashing. Hopefully you know what I meant.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

If you're an INFP who tested as INTP, could you be an INFP Type 5?
    Thinkist: not optimist nor pessimist. I am primarily competent in the enneagram.
    SX 9w1, SP 5w6, SP 3w4 | Split with the first two
    Ti-Se-Si-Ni-Te-Fi-Ne-Fe. I'm always questioning this, particularly the Si.
    Big 5/Global5/SLOAN: RCUEX

I first took the test in high school and scored as ENFJ. I have taken the test many times through out the years and consistantly scored the same thing. But there was one time when I scored INFJ, I was totally in hermit mode at the time. Does anyone here have a link to a good test? Hook it up!
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Thinkist View Post
    If you're an INFP who tested as INTP, could you be an INFP Type 5?
    I'm thinking 9. But I certainly can entertain 5 as a possibility.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

When I first discovered MBTI in the late 90s, I typed myself as an INTJ (I was working as tech support and had taken classes in Engineering and Drafting at the time so those factors probably slanted me toward T) and enough of it fit that I didnt question it for quite a few years, but a few years later I re-evaluated myself and scored as INFJ and again decided that the description seemed to be a good fit. Eventually I discovered the website infjorinfp.com and after reading much of the content there began to have doubts that I was actually an INFJ and felt a lot of the INFP descriptions seemed to fit better for me (not all, but enough to make me reconsider). At that time I started buying lots of MBTI related books (please understand me, personality type: an owners manual, building blocks of personality, was that really me, and a few of the type descripin booklets). The conclusion I reached is that Fi seemed to be my strongest function and Se was my weakest and based on that INFP did seem to be a pretty good fit. I don't really feel like I fit the norm for INFPs and I think I actually relate more to a lot of INFJs here (but there are plenty of INFJs here that do seem to think quite differently than me), so I still ocasionaly question if I've typed myself acuratly or not. There have also been times where I have considered INTP as a possibility, but I end up dismissing it becasue although I like logic, it nearly always comes in second place to emotion in my decision making if both of those are a factor. More recently I have also given consideration to the possibility of ISFJ.

Here comes the next question. Do you think you guys have been mistyped from the beginning or you did evolve to a different type over time?
    I believe my intiial INTJ mistyping was due to aspiring to be seen as smart and logical - I also grew on Star Trek and always liked Spock and he inspired me to value logic. As I aged, I found myself often confliced between what is logical and what I thought was right, and when I eventualy started choosing what I thought was right instead of just choosing logic all the time, I found I felt better about myself. I also found myself frequently conflicted with what I thought was "acceptable" or "moral" and what I thought was right (Fe vs Fi) and until I reached the conclusion that sociatal norms and traditions are not right for everyone (not always right for me), that resulted in a lot of misery from choosing acceptable over what I thoguth was right for me.
    (keys2cognition) Fi (47.6), Ne (36.8), Fe (36.8), Si (31.6), Ti (29.7), Ni (27.4), Te (17.2) Se (12.5) - subject to change - last updated 11JAN2012
    * Making consicious effort to improve my Fe...
    My Johari window
    My Nohari window

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    .... However, you might just be getting in touch with your auxilary as you mature. You're fairly young aren't you? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I feel like I read at one point that you're in your twenties. I have read a few times, that people in their twenties really start becoming more conscious of their auxilary function. So you might just be noticing Fe a lot more because it's emerging. Well I'm sure you've been aware of it for a while, but I just mean it never really "broke out". I should stop now, I am probably just muddying the waters, with my disoriented thrashing. Hopefully you know what I meant.
    Give or take the general time period when the functions are being tested/better developed.

Childhood: Dominant
    Adolescence/Young-Adulthood: Auxiliary
    Adulthood: Tertiary
    Mid-life: Inferior

It is generally accepted that once the auxiliary is decided, that the functions begin to truly look like a particular type. Until then, if the person is stuck between a perceiving/judging function (say... as an example INXJ[Fe or Te] or IXFP[Ne or Se]) for the auxiliary... chances are is that the person is still testing those waters.