From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Default INFJ's Captivation with Certain Time Frames

Upon reading the description of INFJs on the Personality Junkie site, I stumbled across this paragraph that rang true for me:

INFJs also tend to be purists and classicists. Many enjoy collecting antiques, historical artifacts, old first edition books, rare art, or anything that satisfies their thirst for what they perceive as pure or classic works. For similar reasons, they may find themselves captivated by a certain period in history, a specific genre of music, or a handpicked selection of actors or writers. In selecting a novel, would far prefer a known classic to a new bestseller. Similarly, if they are going to wear shoes (which according to recent research, most INFJs do), they want the shoes to be of high quality and a classic, rather than trendy style. If selecting artwork for display in their home, they most would opt for an original over a print.
    Indeed the bolded part of the text here rings home too... and I find as an INFJ, I am drawn to certain periods of art and music, as well as periods in history. Classic wise, I am into the Romantic period, as well as Victorian era art, literature, as well as music. But even more so, I find myself quite captivated by the 80s and immerse myself in that world (it's not all about cheesy mullets), especially the music from that period. I also have a degree of overlap into the 70s and 90s as well, and feel those time frames are also a sort of home for my own mindframe.

So the rest of you INFJs, what time period tends to captivate you the most, if one or more in particular does indeed captivate you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    So the rest of you INFJs, what time period tends to captivate you the most, if one or more in particular does indeed captivate you?
    Too many to count.

Here's a haphazard attempt at breaking this down as much as possible:
    Cold War
    World Wars I & II
    Victorian Era
    Romantic period
    French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars
    Colonial America - Early Republic including Civil War
    17th century - Baroque period
    Late Medieval and Renaissance
    High Middle Ages
    Early Medieval/Late Antiquity
    Ancient/Medieval China and Japan

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Realistically I can see that most of them wouldn't have been great to live in unless you were rich. But my fascinations have mainly included:

-Victorian England (Sherlock Holmes)
    -Middle Ages (Arthurian legend)
    -World War II (Holocaust)
    -Cold War (John Le Carre/spies)

In brackets I've included...well, kind of the reasons why, or partial reasons. For me, it tends to start with literature and lead on to a more general interest. But I am a lot more interested in books/literary characters than I am in eras or time periods.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I remember reading that section on his website and being like "How did he know??" I do read the classics far more than I read current best-sellers, and I normally only will give a TV show a try after it's been out for like 4 years.

As far as time periods I like, right now I'm really into novels from the 1800s. From all over Europe, but especially British and French ones (and it's gotten me into French history from that time period too). But I also like novels from the 1920s and '30s.

With music, I was obsessed with the '60s and then moved onto the '70s (still obsessed!). I'm also into musical theatre and am more interested in shows from decades ago and am not really concerned about what shows are current (which makes no sense when I think about it, since I can't see shows that are not playing but I can see current shows, but it's true).
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SubtleFighter View Post
    I remember reading that section on his website and being like "How did he know??" I do read the classics far more than I read current best-sellers, and I normally only will give a TV show a try after it's been out for like 4 years.
    Heh, I often do that with TV shows. Well, not THAT often because there have never been that many shows I follow. But sometimes everyone has been into something while it's current and hot; I'm a bit put off simply by everyone blabbing about it, I doubt that it will interest me, etc. Then a few years later I get one of the DVDs and have a "OMG I LOVE THIS!!!" reaction. My friends think I'm crazy when I run to them with my big discovery
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Diving into Ni-space Crescent Fresh's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm fond of Victorian Era but don't necessary relate to the time frame that much. It does have a huge appeal on me.

I tend to relate to movies of 70s for some reason. I found most films from the decade of 70s very alluring and the songs/musical score attached to it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Heh, I often do that with TV shows. Well, not THAT often because there have never been that many shows I follow. But sometimes everyone has been into something while it's current and hot; I'm a bit put off simply by everyone blabbing about it, I doubt that it will interest me, etc. Then a few years later I get one of the DVDs and have a "OMG I LOVE THIS!!!" reaction. My friends think I'm crazy when I run to them with my big discovery
    Haha, that happens a LOT for me too. I don't know what I did before Netflix
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."--Ambrose Redmoon

. . . metamorphosing . . .

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2wX so/sx

I'm a medievalist

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

I was obsessed with Egypt growing up. Rome has been a favorite sometimes. The gilded age (1880s) always fascinates me as well. It's when America really started being the America that I think of: Edison, Tesla, big inventions, optimism, boom n bust economics, etc

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    But even more so, I find myself quite captivated by the 80s and immerse myself in that world (it's not all about cheesy mullets), especially the music from that period. I also have a degree of overlap into the 70s and 90s as well, and feel those time frames are also a sort of home for my own mindframe.
    Most of the American made cars of the late '70s through the '80s were rather crappy, but some of the music was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Too many to count.

Here's a haphazard attempt at breaking this down as much as possible:
    Cold War
    World Wars I & II
    Victorian Era
    Romantic period
    French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars
    Colonial America - Early Republic including Civil War
    17th century - Baroque period
    Late Medieval and Renaissance
    High Middle Ages