• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ's Captivation with Certain Time Frames

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Upon reading the description of INFJs on the Personality Junkie site, I stumbled across this paragraph that rang true for me:

INFJs also tend to be purists and classicists. Many enjoy collecting antiques, historical artifacts, old first edition books, rare art, or anything that satisfies their thirst for what they perceive as pure or classic works. For similar reasons, they may find themselves captivated by a certain period in history, a specific genre of music, or a handpicked selection of actors or writers. In selecting a novel, would far prefer a known classic to a new bestseller. Similarly, if they are going to wear shoes (which according to recent research, most INFJs do), they want the shoes to be of high quality and a classic, rather than trendy style. If selecting artwork for display in their home, they most would opt for an original over a print.

Indeed the bolded part of the text here rings home too... and I find as an INFJ, I am drawn to certain periods of art and music, as well as periods in history. Classic wise, I am into the Romantic period, as well as Victorian era art, literature, as well as music. But even more so, I find myself quite captivated by the 80s and immerse myself in that world (it's not all about cheesy mullets), especially the music from that period. I also have a degree of overlap into the 70s and 90s as well, and feel those time frames are also a sort of home for my own mindframe.

So the rest of you INFJs, what time period tends to captivate you the most, if one or more in particular does indeed captivate you?

S

Sniffles

So the rest of you INFJs, what time period tends to captivate you the most, if one or more in particular does indeed captivate you?
Too many to count. :tongue:

Here's a haphazard attempt at breaking this down as much as possible:
Cold War
World Wars I & II
Victorian Era
Romantic period
French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars
Colonial America - Early Republic including Civil War
17th century - Baroque period
Late Medieval and Renaissance
High Middle Ages
Early Medieval/Late Antiquity
Ancient/Medieval China and Japan

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Realistically I can see that most of them wouldn't have been great to live in unless you were rich. But my fascinations have mainly included:

-Victorian England (Sherlock Holmes)
-Middle Ages (Arthurian legend)
-World War II (Holocaust)
-Cold War (John Le Carre/spies)

In brackets I've included...well, kind of the reasons why, or partial reasons. For me, it tends to start with literature and lead on to a more general interest. But I am a lot more interested in books/literary characters than I am in eras or time periods.

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I remember reading that section on his website and being like "How did he know??" I do read the classics far more than I read current best-sellers, and I normally only will give a TV show a try after it's been out for like 4 years.

As far as time periods I like, right now I'm really into novels from the 1800s. From all over Europe, but especially British and French ones (and it's gotten me into French history from that time period too). But I also like novels from the 1920s and '30s.

With music, I was obsessed with the '60s and then moved onto the '70s (still obsessed!). I'm also into musical theatre and am more interested in shows from decades ago and am not really concerned about what shows are current (which makes no sense when I think about it, since I can't see shows that are not playing but I can see current shows, but it's true).

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I remember reading that section on his website and being like "How did he know??" I do read the classics far more than I read current best-sellers, and I normally only will give a TV show a try after it's been out for like 4 years.

Heh, I often do that with TV shows. Well, not THAT often because there have never been that many shows I follow. But sometimes everyone has been into something while it's current and hot; I'm a bit put off simply by everyone blabbing about it, I doubt that it will interest me, etc. Then a few years later I get one of the DVDs and have a "OMG I LOVE THIS!!!" reaction. My friends think I'm crazy when I run to them with my big discovery ;)

Crescent Fresh

Diving into Ni-space
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm fond of Victorian Era but don't necessary relate to the time frame that much. It does have a huge appeal on me.

I tend to relate to movies of 70s for some reason. I found most films from the decade of 70s very alluring and the songs/musical score attached to it. :)

SubtleFighter

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Heh, I often do that with TV shows. Well, not THAT often because there have never been that many shows I follow. But sometimes everyone has been into something while it's current and hot; I'm a bit put off simply by everyone blabbing about it, I doubt that it will interest me, etc. Then a few years later I get one of the DVDs and have a "OMG I LOVE THIS!!!" reaction. My friends think I'm crazy when I run to them with my big discovery ;)

Haha, that happens a LOT for me too. I don't know what I did before Netflix :D

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was obsessed with Egypt growing up. Rome has been a favorite sometimes. The gilded age (1880s) always fascinates me as well. It's when America really started being the America that I think of: Edison, Tesla, big inventions, optimism, boom n bust economics, etc

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
But even more so, I find myself quite captivated by the 80s and immerse myself in that world (it's not all about cheesy mullets), especially the music from that period. I also have a degree of overlap into the 70s and 90s as well, and feel those time frames are also a sort of home for my own mindframe.
Most of the American made cars of the late '70s through the '80s were rather crappy, but some of the music was great.

Too many to count. :tongue:

Here's a haphazard attempt at breaking this down as much as possible:
Cold War
World Wars I & II
Victorian Era
Romantic period
French Revolution and Napoleonic Wars
Colonial America - Early Republic including Civil War
17th century - Baroque period
Late Medieval and Renaissance
High Middle Ages
Early Medieval/Late Antiquity
Ancient/Medieval China and Japan
You may find this interesting: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/

Istbkleta

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How do you guys experience it?

Do you imagine yourself living then or being somebody else from that era or thinking about the factual things you know about it or do you think about how that era is connected with today's world or what?

What does it feel like?