User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Default Some kind of dissociation while thinking?

I always wanted to ask about some phenomenon which I observed quite a few times but always forgot about again.

Sometimes it happens to me that I think about something (nothing specific) and somehow get so absent-minded that I at some point snap out of it and first get aware about my own existence. It is as if I forgot about myself while thinking, and first have to get aware again of myself. That is not a big process, it is just some kind of short "remembering" about myself. Whenever it happens it seems a bit odd to me.

I don't know if that means anything and I am not really afraid of it, I just wanted to know if there are people who have similar experiences.

PS: Didn't know in what forum to put the thread, so I put it here.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Happens to me all the time.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Because you're so deep in thought?

NPcomplete

Sometimes when I get deep in thought, I feel like I am "one with the idea(s)" and nothing else exists/matters. It's always a thrilling state to be in. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the part where you say you have to become aware about your own existence though. Hmm how does it feel?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    Sometimes when I get deep in thought, I feel like I am one with the idea and nothing else exists/matters. It's always a thrilling state to be in. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the part where you say you have to become aware about your own existence though. Hmm how does it feel?
    I can't speak for the OP, but for me it's like a split second where you break off from the thought, and you quite aren't aware of where you are or what you are doing. Kind of a fun feeling to be honest.

NPcomplete

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I can't speak for the OP, but for me it's like a split second where you break off from the thought, and you quite aren't aware of where you are or what you are doing. Kind of a fun feeling to be honest.
    Ooh I don't think I've experienced that...yet. I've only felt something similar to that whenever I doze off during the day and I wake up with a fogged mind.

I'm really intrigued by this now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Happens to me all the time.
    Me too.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I've gotten that too (if I understand the OP), usually around the experience of playing or writing music. To be honest, its the best thing I have ever felt, bar none. It's like deep diving, then surfacing and remembering the the world exists, you're hungry and have to pee

Yes, it is called a trance and is based on dissociation. And in a trance it is the cognitive faculties that are dissociated from the creative faculties.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Quote Originally Posted by thealchemist View Post
    Sometimes when I get deep in thought, I feel like I am "one with the idea(s)" and nothing else exists/matters. It's always a thrilling state to be in. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the part where you say you have to become aware about your own existence though. Hmm how does it feel?
    Well, it is difficult for me to describe. I get aware about about my consciousness and the world around me suddenly when I snap out of my thoughts. Before that I just think, and during that thinking I somehow forget a conscious sense of myself. Basically I lose the constant awareness that my thoughts are coming from myself and that I think them as a living being in a living world. Maybe nebbykoo explained it in a more easy to understand way

Those moments don't last too long actually. It is not like I sit there for hours meditating about something. It just happens in some minutes maybe, and I cannot yet say that it would have to do with specific topics I am thinking about. I am also not sure how regularly I experience this, but it happened several times. I was just curious to find out if other people here experience the same, because I never heard people talk about such things