12 Last

MBTI
    JOGK
    Enneagram
    Find
    Socionics
    Krab

Lightbulb Two Questions about your Nightmares

I've got two questions for you awesome NF's? One: Have you ever had a recurring nightmare about something before? Two is what do you think seeing a person you love and care for in your nightmares symbolizes?

MBTI
    enfp

I haven't had recurring nightmares exactly, as in the actual situations hardly recur, but i have recurring THEMES in my nightmares i would think, usually about social stuff O_o I find that in my dreams, anticipation usually becomes reality, so i get more nightmares when i'm feeling anxious in the first place. and my nightmare would probably be ABOUT the person i care for, to be honest, if i was feeling insecure about them in real life haha! if they are there as a comforting presence however, maybe it shows that you see them as a source of support in times of trouble, and that they are part of how you cope emotionally with troubles? (:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

when I was a kid, I had this recurring dream that I'd be in the car wih my mother and she'd park to go in somewhere and leave me in the car, and then the car would start driving itself. it always scared me. apart from that I never really had nightmares.

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't find myself having recurring nightmares, maybe a handful of times ever. Usually in 'tense' dreams...not exactly nightmares, more like a thriller movie...I'm usually the one trying to protect family that happens to be around. The theme of 'hostage escape' happens every once in a while, but that's as close to nightmare as it gets for me.
    INFJ; 9w1 so/sp/sx; EII; RCOAI; Neutral Good

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

The worst was a series of dreams where I was losing people, (one way tickets across the world, etc.) And during the same period of time I was put in all these really dangerous dream situations where I had to save my grandmother. It's a symbol of whatever is going on in your life. I think at the time, for me, it was a symbol of abandonment or focus on abandonment/loss/ people leaving. I think this thread should be open to all types, btw . Doesn't seem type related and if it is, you can see the others perspectives.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

curiouser and curiouser bluestripes's Avatar
    MBTI
    Fi
    Enneagram

yes. i've had recurring nightmares for over ten years. the worst occurred during the period when i was 16-17 to 23-24 years old, but i still have them once in a while.

the most common themes were these (in an order of decreasing frequency):

- i find myself beside a body of water (such as a sea, lake or stream) which seems to be quite tranquil at first. as soon as i approach it, the water starts to swell; huge waves whose size corresponds to a storm of 9 or higher on the beaufort scale develop in a matter of seconds, threatening to engulf and drown me, and i have to run as fast as i can to escape them.

- there are ominous storm clouds in the sky, dark gray to black. lightning flashes from time to time and i am afraid that i might be struck down. i desperately seek cover, though a shelter is usually difficult to find.

- i am in a forest. a strong gale starts blowing, the trees begin to bend and i feel that one of the trees may fall at any moment and kill me. typically, a tree does fall just a few inches short of where i am standing.

- there are high-voltage wires over my head which start to sag or break as i watch. i can almost sense the electric charge in them and have to duck and/or crawl to avoid being electrocuted.

- violence: murder, mutilations, airplane crashes, explosions that result in blood and gore.

the worst nightmare i ever had to be the nuclear explosion i saw when i was eighteen. that is, it didn't feel that bad at the time, but became much worse once i woke up and began to reflect on the dream. thankfully, this one never recurred.

i think most of it has been connected to emotional tension, suppressed feelings threatening to burst out and inundate me. sexual tension could have played a part as well, as the only partner i have had was at age 21, and that was for a brief time only (ten days or so).
    "i love deadlines. i like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (c) douglas adams

"there are only two ways to live your life. one is as though nothing is a miracle. the other is as though everything is a miracle." (c) albert einstein

"if only i could grow with my eyes - like these leaves - into the depth" (c) sergei esenin

"god is in the details" (c) proverb

SingSmileShine

I have actually never had a recurring nightmare. Most of my dreams are pretty neutral - I rarely have wonderful dreams, but I also rarely have bad ones. They're always very vivid, though.

And I would suppose that seeing a loved one in a nightmare is related to your love and concern for them?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

omfg, I just came here to make a thread about disturbing dreams. I haven't had any in a while but I started thinking earlier tonight about some of my old ones.

upsetting dreams I've had, on semi-recurring basis (& ages I had them):

- sliding down wet grassy hills into pits of snakes (various ages, particularly frequently last year when I was feeling a lot of guilt about something)
    - my parents decapitating me (pre-adolescence, 10-12 yrs)
    - screaming matches w/ my father (all the time, esp. in past 3/4 years)
    - being lost in intricate castle-like structures (since college)
    - being chased around the circular hallway of my elementary school by a knife-wielding madman, wearing only socks, unable to run fast enough, other kids watching w/o concern (mainly childhood, some pre-adolescence)
    - being chased by snipers / govt agents (adolescence, some early twenties, occasionally later)
    - watching kids I'm supposed to be supervising accidentally shoot themselves in the face/head (past few years)
    - escaping from school / work / society, fleeing to weird barren wilderness, unable to get back (since late teenagerdom)

Lots of stuff about running & not being able to speed up, being inhibited by something outside the body-- being limited.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

& I guess this reflects on my selfishness, but I rarely see people I know, much less love in dreams. Except parents I guess, but then again it's simplistic to say I "love" my parents.

Except I had a dream of this girl I was "involved" with last year (really fucked-up situation, it made me think I'd lost my mind & was one of the things that made me feel the guilt mentioned above)-- she was leaving this outdoor auditorium-type nighttime movie viewing with her friend, everyone was going in a big crowd toward a parking lot & I was by myself, I caught up w/ them & asked if she was leaving for New York (since she'd said she was), & if she wanted to talk to me & she said no with this glowering expression, not looking at me. So then some other stuff happened, I think I got bored w/ that & changed the dreamscape into something different. Basically, it meant I knew she was pissed off w/ me & didn't want to see me.

I think you just dream about the people you're thinking about. You have to approach the interpretation with an open, ritualistic mind. It's best to take it as revelation, like a work of art. The more confusing it is the more potential meaning it holds.
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

1). Yes, several recurring nightmares throughout my life.

2) That they are on my conscious mind a lot.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke