• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] I tricked an ENFP ;)

Electric

MBTI Type
entj
I told an ENFP friend of mine that I could read people's minds and she believed me. She has been on her guard ever since and it's really confusing me. She goes as far as telling me that if she had telepathic powers, she would think of it as a curse. I'm probably going to explain myself soon, but I don't get to "be" a telepath everyday so I'm going to have more fun. I think she justifiably fooled as I'm good enough with people, but not on a mind reading level. I also told her years ago that I could astral project myself into another plane of existence and she believed me. Man, ENFPs are really gullible to that supernatural stuff. I'm astounded.;)

What would happen if a con-magician learned about this big secret and started selling his magic?

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Is it really ENFP's or is it just your friend?

You should go check on her before she chokes on her own drool. The other side of the scenario, is that ENFP's pretend to be amused by the stories of others and act like we believe them because we don't like to upset them.

Without knowing your friend it would be hard to figure out whats going on.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
I don't know what to say.
Not representative of ENFP's at all.
I can't say anything else without sounding mean.
However, any type can be gullible.
It depends on other qualities of the person than the personality.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I told an ENFP friend of mine that I could read people's minds and she believed me. She has been on her guard ever since and it's really confusing me. She goes as far as telling me that if she had telepathic powers, she would think of it as a curse. I'm probably going to explain myself soon, but I don't get to "be" a telepath everyday so I'm going to have more fun. I think she justifiably fooled as I'm good enough with people, but not on a mind reading level. I also told her years ago that I could astral project myself into another plane of existence and she believed me. Man, ENFPs are really gullible to that supernatural stuff. I'm astounded.;)

What would happen if a con-magician learned about this big secret and started selling his magic?

You naughty boy!

Aren't you ashamed? :azdaja:

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!
I don't know what to say.
Not representative of ENFP's at all.
I can't say anything else without sounding mean.
However, any type can be gullible.
It depends on other qualities of the person than the personality.

Mondo, you know... I really have telepathic powers... :thelook:

Butterfly

MBTI Type
ENFP
hehe
OMG you know whats funny? One of my friends thinks I really DO have telepathic powers! lol Just because Im so intuitive and can figure peoples motives etc out, he actually is scared of me! He thinks I have supernatural powers! lol
its hell funny. ;)
But Im playing along, Im not denying it either, but not accepting it too. Its fun :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

No one cares about the secret -- all that matters is the trick.

lol

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I definitely can be gullible, I am inherently trustworthy and if I trust someone, I wouldn't expect them to lie. But being gullible and stupid, are two different things. Believing that someone got arrested twice during their teenage years when they in fact didn't is understandable especially if they tell you that that was the case, however believing they somehow had telekinetic powers is ludicrous, someone who would believe that, would carelessly and dangerously believe in anything, and we ENFPs are *not* like that.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
5 bones says she is in fact playing you, and you are the gullible one!

Electric

MBTI Type
entj
Is it really ENFP's or is it just your friend?

You should go check on her before she chokes on her own drool. The other side of the scenario, is that ENFP's pretend to be amused by the stories of others and act like we believe them because we don't like to upset them.

Without knowing your friend it would be hard to figure out whats going on.
hmmmm, I dunno. I think ENFPs are susceptible to supernatural trickery to an extent. There have been other ENFPs that I talked to who believe in ghosts and monsters. I think the inspirations that come from amazing events seduces the ENFP into faith.

You naughty boy!

Aren't you ashamed? :azdaja:
Why would I be? I'm going to eventually explain things to her and it will all be okay in the end.

No one cares about the secret -- all that matters is the trick.

lol

Perhaps true and 99% passable in reality, however if you watched The Prestige, the real magic is in understanding the science and not experiencing a disappointing deception.

I definitely can be gullible, I am inherently trustworthy and if I trust someone, I wouldn't expect them to lie. But being gullible and stupid, are two different things. Believing that someone got arrested twice during their teenage years when they in fact didn't is understandable especially if they tell you that that was the case, however believing they somehow had telekinetic powers is ludicrous, someone who would believe that, would carelessly and dangerously believe in anything, and we ENFPs are *not* like that.
How would it be dangerous? Isn't a part of happiness having to be fully willed and committed to a big delusion, lie, or fantasy? Anyways you make me feel guilty of taking advantage of this gulliableness.

5 bones says she is in fact playing you, and you are the gullible one!
Hmmmm, legend does speak of the ENFP's deceptiveness.:shock:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
How old are you guys? If she's 21 or under (basically an adolescent) then she's allowed to be gullible and whimisical regardless of type -- or at least more gullible and whimsical now then at 35.

Your tone implies you think you're smarter than your friend and by that observation all ENFPs are dumb. I'm not really sure where people are getting this idea that ENFPs suffer from a Peter Pan complex that stunts the growth of our intellects so we're basically retarded wo/man-children who are fascinated by unicorns and fireworks? (And that's a rhetorical question, NoCap!)

Electric

MBTI Type
entj
How old are you guys? If she's 21 or under (basically an adolescent) then she's allowed to be gullible and whimisical regardless of type -- or at least more gullible and whimsical now then at 35.

Your tone implies you think you're smarter than your friend and by that observation all ENFPs are dumb. I'm not really sure where people are getting this idea that ENFPs suffer from a Peter Pan complex that stunts the growth of our intellects so we're basically retarded wo/man-children who are fascinated by unicorns and fireworks? (And that's a rhetorical question, NoCap!)
I don't think age should be a factor in this. There have been plenty of old people who believe in ghosts.

And what's this on tone? You totally misread me because I do not instinctually feel and care about smartness. I did not even infer that all ENFPs are dumb. As an entj, my words stand as they are. I do not say things with an emphasis on ulterior motives. I think ENFPs may have a susceptibility to fantastical thing that are on a tangent with a Peter Pan complex.
ENFP and their fantasies
Anyways here's an empircal evidence of a real life ENFP!

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
.And what's this on tone? You totally misread me because I do not instinctually feel and care about smartness. I did not even infer that all ENFPs are dumb. As an entj, my words stand as they are. I do not say things with an emphasis on ulterior motives.
Oh really?

Then why did you lie to your friend, twice?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good for you Electric :dry: Now why don't you go take some candy from a baby?

Othon

MBTI Type
INTP
Funny. It's generally my ENFP friend who does the talking about astral projecting and freaky paranormal stuff. And I'm the one who acts as if I believe it, but deep inside I kind of don't. But I'd never tell her that.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Electric said:
Sure whatever, where do you live? har har har

:thelook: Wouldn't you like to know...

*whatever is suffering caffeine detox at the moment

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I don't think age should be a factor in this. There have been plenty of old people who believe in ghosts.

Now this sounds defensive. And we weren't talking about believing in ghosts -- I was talking about being gullible and easily duped. Since you know you aren't psychic and were able to convince your friend otherwise.

My point is, you both sound young (to me) and that this scenario seems much more age related than purely type related. I remember in highschool almost every student had some passing interest in hypnotism, ghosts, scary stories, ouija boards, divination, astrology, etc. People from different classes and cliques would all talk about it or engage in it (spirits, visiting fortune tellers, etc.)

Even through college people played with Ouija boards and fortune telling and visited abandoned hospitals to look for ghosts and such. It's pretty common for the age, I'm sure someone could even come up with biological or evolutionary reasoning for it. It's also why a big chunk of horror and 'supernatural' movies have highschool and college aged kids as protaganists. And I really doubt I went to a highschool or college filled with ENFPs (that woulda been something).

There's also a reason cults specifically target the young (and intellectually curious) like college students.

And I will readily admit, when I was 16 or even 19...or 22, I was muchmore likely to take people at face value, accept claims I now consider outlandish, and basically humor people.

And what's this on tone? You totally misread me because I do not instinctually feel and care about smartness.

Well it's not a matter of whether you say you consciously care, you can still feel superior to someone else intellectually. In fact, some of the most arrogant people I've encountered say they don't care about intelligence, because you know, they're above all that.

I did not even infer that all ENFPs are dumb. As an entj, my words stand as they are. I do not say things with an emphasis on ulterior motives. I think ENFPs may have a susceptibility to fantastical thing that are on a tangent with a Peter Pan complex.
ENFP and their fantasies
Anyways here's an empircal evidence of a real life ENFP!

Well, technically I was inferring from your post that you think ENFPs are dumb.

I know this is a MBTI site (or MBTT as Ezra likes to say) but this part of your post sounds more like blanket type casting or using a few kernels of truth to back up much extrapolation.

I know I'm not the best candidate to say that ENFPs are not youthful or enjoy the whimsical (I mean, I have a freaking avatar of CGI arcade game characters and a smiley face as a signature) however, there is such a thing as caricatures and taking the easy way out.

I think sometimes people read the back of a book or skim some paragraphs on a type website and suddenly opinions balloon into 'facts' and all this personal/age/cultural/what-eva stuff gets conflated with 'type'. Every type has it's related stereotype, and it's VERY easy to twist theory, state the stereotype, and then throw in a few websites or even books that will back it up.

I'm not necessarily saying this is exactly what you did, because I don't know where you or your post are coming from, but I've seen enough of this even on this site to be wary of it. I'm especially wary of it when it comes to my shared type and frankly immature or just unwise behavior gets attributed to "being ENFP".

Maybe (and I'm stretching here to be diplomatic) these are examples of behavior as someone matures into the healthy, full-grown state of their type where their functions are well developed and well rounded...??

LisainCA

MBTI Type
?N?P
Do you think John Edwards' audiences are made up of entirely ENFPs? I think a lot of people want to and do believe in supernatural things for a lot of different reasons. It's not just a type. As for your friend being gullible and you playing her, the other poster had it right. You're both just young. You'll both grow up.